Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Know A Good Ar10 Doc?

Unleashed

I am having some issues with my AR10 not extracting. I have the JP 16" Upper on the gun. After the problem first started happening, I sent it back to JP and he worked on it until he found the right combo of parts (bolt, extractor, etc.) that let the rifle extract.

I have taken the rifle to the range twice now and am still having the same problems. I am wondering if there could be a problem with my mags, or anything other component that would cause this problem.

I would like to just send the entire package to someone and have them make it run. I just can't keep having these problems for what I paid on that upper :wacko:

Thanks,

Edwin

I am having some issues with my AR10 not extracting.  I have the JP 16" Upper on the gun.  After the problem first started happening, I sent it back to JP and he worked on it until he found the right combo of parts (bolt, extractor, etc.) that let the rifle extract. 

I have taken the rifle to the range twice now and am still having the same problems.  I am wondering if there could be a problem with my mags, or anything other component that would cause this problem. 

I would like to just send the entire package to someone and have them make it run.  I just can't keep having these problems for what I paid on that upper  :wacko:

Thanks,

Edwin

What type of ammo are you using ? and what mode of non extraction are you having ? ( bolt still in battery, bolt part way back, case sticking half way out )

JP rifles are sometimes ammo finicky and the gas adjustment needs to be tinkered with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to get more in-depth with the problem I am having:

-the extraction completes up to the ejection, but doesn't complete that.

-I also find the extraction process in several different modes of incompletion

-the bolt actually goes back enough to start feeding the next round, so this compounds the FTE.

-I have tried the heavier springs in the extractor and I know that the little plastic piece is in place.

-as I said before, the upper has been sent back to JP and he said he got it to run about 60 rds without a problem. He said that he had to try about 5 different combos of parts in the bolt/extractor assembly to get it to work. This does not make me feel any better!

-the problem isn't consistent...I can run 5 rounds without a problem and then can't run the next 3 without having to clear a jam everytime.

-the one time that I can't duplicate the problem is when I fire the last round in the mag.....the round ejects fine and the bolt is locked to the rear. :wacko:

I think it would help me to know more about the extraction process of the AR style rifle. I am not sure what initiates the ejection process. I know the gas system is tuned to allow enough gas by to cycle the action because the bolt locks back everytime on the last round.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. The amount of money I have spent on this rifle is sickening, considering that is doesn't work! :angry:

I know that all of the parts in the bolt carrier assembly come from Armalite and this has been a problem in the past, but they are no help since I didn't get the upper from them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try and find someone to fix this.

BTW, I have used several types of ammo to no avail. I mainly have been shooting M852 (168 match).

Edwin

does this upper have an adjustable gas block ! If so have you tried to open the gas up on the block ?

sometimes a mag with an improper fit and a spring that is very tight will slow down the bolt in its rearward movement and hinder extraction some of the time.

I think we may be onto something here with the mag springs....I built those mags with the extra power, cut-to-length Wolff springs. I have been looking at the bolt carrier and it is coated with brass on the bottom...there are two lines, one on each side of the bottom where the hammer rides. The brass is pretty deeply embedded and it inicates some definite friction! I still am not sure when or how the actual ejection process takes place and I think knowing that could shed some light on the friction aspect of the bolt carrier. Even the two bottom fins of the bolt have brass on them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Edwin

Edwin-

Let me add some interesting facts on your extraction problem. I too built an AR10 from Armalite. It did exactly as you described. As it turns out, they have had a bad batch of bolts/extractors a while back. Apparently the extractor cut is out of tolerance relative to the bolt face. You can find this info on Armalite's website under technical bulletins AR10 extractiion check. I called them after measuring the bolt IAW with their instructions, then sent it back to them. Got a new bolt and extractor, and have never had another problem. Before doing anything else, I would check your specs on the bolt/extractor first. It could be the root of your problem.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the info....I remember that you had similar problems. I took all of the measurements that Armalite recommended and couldn't find any discrepancies. I think there is something else going on that has to do with the lower or the mags.

Edwin

Does your chamber have a ding/cut/scratch it it? Does it fail with all your magazines, or just one or two? Do you have the extractor O-ring in place with the spring? Are you using de-linked ammo-that will surely do it. The brass gets alot of dings and cuts in it when you break it apart. One other thing-are you using and adjustable gas block, and is your gas ring ok?

Jerry,

-I am not sure if the chamber has any imperfections

-I do have the o-ring and the little plastic cylindrical piece in with the spring

-I am using Match ammo as well as some reloads that I used brand new Federal Gold Metal Match brass to make

-the problem is consistent with all mags

-the gas rings are in great shape

BTW, John at JP left me a message saying that he had heard about me having problems again. I tried calling today and wasn't able to get in touch with him, but I will try again and maybe we can come up with a solution. He said that he got it to work, so maybe we can eliminate all the other possibilites.

I am happy to report that I finally found and solved the latest issue with my AR10 :D I pulled out a mag that I had cut the spring down on. I did this before I sent the upper to JP in hopes of remedying the first problem. It didn't work then, but since the bolt/extractor parts have been matched up to work, it worked this time. I ran about 30 rds through the gun without a single problem. After seeing all the brass on the bottom of the carrier, I wondered if the full power mag springs were creating too much tension. I cut two coils of the spring and she ran like a champ :rolleyes: . Thanks for all the suggestions.

I would also like to thank John Paul for his diligence in wanting to help me get this rifle fixed. He heard through the grapevine that I was still having problems and offered to help. Since I hadn't gone through everything I thought I could do on my own, I had yet to ship him the rifle and all the mags. Now that is unnecessary and I am very happy to have this rifle working good!