Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decisions, which to keep? STI Edge or SV?

muncie21

On 12/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, muncie21 said:

I'm going by what SV sent me, which may allow room for interpretation.  I thought it was odd also, that the frame and slide serrations did not match.  No mention of the mismatch from SV when they replied.

From SV:

Pistol serial number XXX was manufactured as a 40S&W Pistol in October 2005.

Unfortunately, we do not have the original build sheets for this pistol.

However provided are basic specs based from your photos:

5 inch Carbon Steel Blued Pistol
20 lpi Slide Serration
Xcelerator Frame Serrations
Stippled Polymer Grip
Flat Red Trigger Insert
Square Hammer

It looks like your gun is a “kit” that they sold with slide/frame. They used to sell them around that time and I have owned a couple. Most people often had them finished off with SV parts but another builder would do the work. They gave me the same response as the serial number will only tell them the year it was made/sold. 

I started buying SV around 2005, at that time I believe only three gunsmiths could build SV frames and slides.  I have been wrong in the past but I am comfortable with that assertion, since one of my SVs was built by Kodiak Precision around that time.  It has over 50,000 round through it, I suspect closer to 80K but I lost count. 

Bob does a great job on his guns but I would sell it and have Infinity put one of their steel frames on it.

I have the steel CZ style grips on my SVs.  Personally, I like all SV parts in my guns.  The barrels are the only exception but only because I got a deal on them.

One minor rub with keeping the SV. 

A couple of the STI mags don't fit in the SV as they are too long front to back.  All the SV mags fit in the STI. 

So if I keep the SV, I either need to buy some more mags or try and tune/grind the STI mags.  Not really wanting to do this, because the 4 STI mags came tuned (and numbered) by Brazos.

Edited by muncie21

@muncie21 

Follow the Atlas Gunworks mag tuning video to get your SV mags working. 

That logic seems a little backwards to me honestly. Selling the gun because the mags need a little work just seems like a bad idea. Especially when the gun in question is an SV. That gun will hold its value. 

I'd also back the idea of selling your CZ TS. The TS is a great gun in its own right, but if you have two 2011s, why not just use them. 

both the SV and STI you have will hold their value better than the CZ TS as well.

18 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

@muncie21 

I'd also back the idea of selling your CZ TS. The TS is a great gun in its own right, but if you have two 2011s, why not just use them. 

both the SV and STI you have will hold their value better than the CZ TS as well.

I also went from TS to SVI and a STI Edge (converted to 5.4 sight tracker later). TS has been in the safe since then.

The biggest issue I see is the ammo. If you are going to use the TS as a backup then you will need ammo for it that is different from your primary. Instead of carrying or shipping lets say 700 rounds of ammo for a major match now you will now need to double up the ammo to 1,400 rounds and also bring it back as well. Just doesn't make sense.

As others mentioned holsters, mags, spare parts add even more to the  hassle.

Add to that the 2011s and TS are different enough to make a difference in feel and shooting when switching back and forth. 

On 12/15/2018 at 7:08 AM, muncie21 said:

One minor rub with keeping the SV. 

A couple of the STI mags don't fit in the SV as they are too long front to back.  All the SV mags fit in the STI. 

So if I keep the SV, I either need to buy some more mags or try and tune/grind the STI mags.  Not really wanting to do this, because the 4 STI mags came tuned (and numbered) by Brazos.

Yeah, don't monkey with the tuned mags if they are good in the original gun they came with...

You only need 3-4 mags in Limited anyway, so just make the SV's your primary set and plan to run them in both guns. Then have the others as back-ups for the STI if needed.

I had to use my backup Open gun once at a Level III match.  The only difference was the red dot.  Slideride on one vs. DPP on the other.  I played find the dot for the next few stages.  Whichever route you choose, make sure your backup gun is identical to your main gun.  If I keep these guns, the SLideride is getting tossed for another DPP.

BTW, I own a TS and 2011 guns in 40.  IMO, for Limited, the TS is the superior gun.  It sits lower in your hand so muzzle flip is less.  I've never had a malfunction with the TS.  The gun and the mags worked from day one with no tinkering.  That being said, I bring my 2011 40s to matches, because I have two of them.  Even though my TS and the 2011s will all feed 1.126" OAL ammo, I'd still have to bring the TS belt/holster/pouch rig if I wanted to use the TS as a backup.  I'd still have to contend with the different feel and sight height if I had to switch.