Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Those dillon dies

I bought my 550, the summer of 2014. I got it with the Brian Enos "as it should be" kit and setup for .45acp and 9mm. So I have been loading 9mm on it since day one, so I have at least 30k on the sizing die and finally bend my depriming pin, It must be the spring loaded design that saves the pins. Although I have gone thru 3 E clips.

?

The Dillon sizing/decapping dies also do a good job of punching the primers free of the primer pockets (especially if you bevel the end of the decapping pin).  I've had some problem with other brand decapping dies not pushing the primer far enough down to clear the case.

On the note of the e-clips.  Do yourself a favor and pick up a handful when you get some from the hardware store.  I tend to break one every 8-10K rounds.

Some dies pop more E clips than others... I don’t know why. I had three tool heads for my 650 (pre1050)... 9,40, 38supercomp. The 9 dies busted several e clips while the other never did.

Had the innards come out of my Dillon (9mm) , Dillon replaced it but I bought a Lee style (EGW) so that next time I would have a spare, I hate it when you have time and need to reload but your machine is broke.  

All work. The Lee style is more forgiving when it meets a rock or other hard object instead of the primer pocket. Probably went through 1 eclipse per 10,000 rounds ish with my Dillon, no worries after they told me it was just a standard hardware store item.