Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade STI tubes or buy MBX

MJinPA

Both brands have worked great for me. I have two 140 mbx, and I haven’t had a single problem with them. 20rds reloadable. I can jam 21 in there and with a lot of force seat it with the slide closed. Hoping as the springs set I can get the 21st easier for starts. 

Then i have 2 of the sti g2 mags. Dawson SNl basepad  with grams 11 coil spring and follower.  Same thing, 20 rds reloadable, and I can jam the 21st in. This set up has also been utterly reliable. going forward I’ll buy more sti. I like the big Dawson basepad for reloads. For me it’s just easier to grab. Unfortunately you can only use mbx base pads on their mags. It looks like with some modification others could be used. I might try in the future cause the tubes are really nice. 

Sti cones out a bit cheaper to. 59 for tube, 32 for basepad and 18 for spring and follower. So 109 total, vs 130 mbx. On a set of 5 mags this is 100 bucks. Or if you leave some of the sti stock it’s half the price of the mbx 

I upgraded one of my mags with grams spring follower and 4mm TTI basepad and it’s been 100% reliable for the one practice session and one match it’s seen so far. Good enough for me to upgrade the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in day my preferred setup was DAwson SNL's Dawson , Dawson Spring Dawson follower 20 reloadable old style STI tubes.,,, but usually only put 19 in for my reload mag.,, Id get STI tubes from Brownells. HAd a couple tubes a bit out of square that wouldnt drop free, Sold them to a tuner as I didnt want to mess with them. Never like Gramms... weak springs, needed fitting, wasnt impressed.
Rescomp Still around ?  23 round start with a 141 gauge making mag.
Rescomp tube bolen guts and pad, Udie.  

Hello,

I asked the rep at grams about using their springs and followers in mbx magazines and he said he would not recommend it. There kits are listed for many brands but not mbx.

He said the design of the mbx mag is not good with their mag kits. He said a lot of people use them but he would not recommend it.

Tim

On 11/19/2018 at 4:34 PM, TimHawkins said:

Hello,

I asked the rep at grams about using their springs and followers in mbx magazines and he said he would not recommend it. There kits are listed for many brands but not mbx.

He said the design of the mbx mag is not good with their mag kits. He said a lot of people use them but he would not recommend it.

Tim

Ya, Beven has said one shouldn’t use his kit for mbx mags. But on this forum there’s tons of people doing it with great success. He also says don’t use his s&f for the new sti mags as they won’t work either. I have 5 new sti mags in both 40 and 9 that work great with his stuff. It’s just so if it doesn’t work there was a warning saying don’t do it, and people can’t complain to him about them not working. 

42 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

Ya, Beven has said one shouldn’t use his kit for mbx mags. But on this forum there’s tons of people doing it with great success. He also says don’t use his s&f for the new sti mags as they won’t work either. I have 5 new sti mags in both 40 and 9 that work great with his stuff. It’s just so if it doesn’t work there was a warning saying don’t do it, and people can’t complain to him about them not working. 

I gathered from my conversation with him, that the new STI mag bodies are too inconsistent for him to vouch for.  Like you, I had great success with 40, but haven't tried 9mm....

• 2 weeks later...

As a long time limited shooter I have had years of use with STI old style mags, fit with Grams springs and followers and base pads. Cant tell you how many time they have been dropped, and stepped on. This will give you 20 round mags that are dog tuff. I have never had one fail after years and years of shooting at Rio.

dcalvert