Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade STI tubes or buy MBX

MJinPA

I bought a used Edge (.40) that came with 18 round mags. I’d like to upgrade to 20. They all currently feed and function 100%. Anyone know if there is any advantage to getting MBX 20 round mags vs upgrading the guts on the the sti tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added grams guts and TTI base pads to mine and they worked perfectly in my CKARMS Limited gun.

That’s what my plan was/is but seems like a lot of people are using MBX so wondering if they have any advantage. To upgrade the sti tubes I need spring, basepad and follower. Right?

10 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:
Just keep in mind you will likely have to trim the follower tab to keep them from locking back with a round in the magazine.  

Ok. Thanks for the help

I've heard mixed reviews on both MBX and STI mags so take that for what it's worth. 

As long as the mags are tuned with good guts, then either should run well. 

I'm using gen 1 STI mags with grams followers and Dawson base pads that hold 19 reloadable, 20 if you really wanna jam it in there. 

M, I'd start by converting only one mag.  I had four STI Gen 1 140mm mags with Grams guts and Bolen pads.  I could fit 20 in by cramming, but on 19 reloadable.  If you find that to be the case, it isn't worth it to upgrade for only one more round.  You would be better off buying MBX mags that automatically fit 20 reloadable.  

You might look into getting the tuned mags from Brazos Custom. As far as basepads, I would recommend TTI over Dawson. I like the Dawson one but it isn’t compatible with all magwells and as far as I know the TTI are.

The Brazos are pricey but they’re about the only mags I’ve seen that run well out of the box and worth every penny in my book. I know some guys have had great luck with MBX but I’m not one of them.

The only thing you have to do to new MBX mags, or old mags with new springs is condition them.  They are purposely tight from the factory.  As directed, leave them fully loaded for a week (I do two weeks).  After that the springs take a set and there are no feeding issues.  I've been running my three MBX mags for two seasons without problems.

When I bought my mags, Brazos was still using STI Gen 1 tubes.  They are delicate.  I had four with Grams guts and I was forever tuning them.  The only tubes I use now are MBX and SVI Gen 1.

I went STI Gen 2 with TTI Base Pads and Grams Guts and followed the Atlas tuning guides on youtube.  I went that route because they had good videos on what to do and they tested different mags and found this set up to work the best for them.  I haven't had one mag issue since switching to Grams Guts from TTI Springs and Followers. The TTI follower and Spring is too flimsy and the Grams is far supperior in my opinion. 

Go the route you were thinking and follow the guide lines for the mag bodies and feed lips.  It will take you some time at first to learn what to do but once you learn it you're know what to do when you need to re tune them in the future.  

Being in East Tennessee, MBX is close to us and most shooters I see are running them including myself. My mags haven’t been touched since I got them used, and will reliable feed empty cases which may be common with others, but I have never had another mag that would do that in any gun. I have nothing but positive things to say about them and fully believe they are worth the money. However, I have seen many guns run flawlessly with S_I mags of all sorts. I really believe as long as you can put the mags to spec and your gun is built correctly they will work. 

It’s preference and compatibility to your gun. I run mbx because when I had my gun built I was already using them in my edge so I sent the mag to the gun builder and said make this run. I have buddy’s who have guns that won’t run mbx and others who’s guns will not run svi or sti mags. What works for you in the end is what you need to go with. Except springs and followers. Grams are the only way to go for those??

Edited by Tcotter2629