Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Right Gun

bigcat

Ok so just shot my first USPSA match in over 2 years with a borrowed Glock and had fun even though I am not a Glock fan. I would like to know if it is possible to find an all steel gun with enough high capacity mags to shoot a match for $800 or less. Was looking at armscor RI but the downside to them is the magazines are the para16 style and over $100 for base mag. Any other options out there?

6 hours ago, bigcat said:

1.  shot my first USPSA match in over 2 years

2.  if it is possible to find an all steel gun with enough high capacity mags to shoot a match for $800 or less.

3.  the magazines are $100 

1.  You used to shoot USPSA, so you might have your own gun lying around ??   If so, and $$$$ are tight, I'd shoot that for a while    :) 

2.  No, you will need at least $1200 plus other accessories and lots of ammo

3.  Again, sounds like you are trying to limit your investment until you decide if you are really serious about this hobby (which

is a Very Wise decision). 

I'd go with what you currently have.

If you don't have a gun, you'll have to decide - stay with plastic or spend double what you hoped to get away with.

Good luck - hope you continue to enjoy our little sport     :) 

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Sig 320 or x5 used

Seems to be competitive for the money

The army guys don't have anything good to say about the 320 and one of them is my coach. I like that they come ready to shoot with trigger and mags but he said would be a bad investment 

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Sig 320 or x5 used

Seems to be competitive for the money

Can you get these in 40?  The OP seemed like he was looking for a limited blaster and i didn't think these guns were made in 40, but  i haven't kept up with Sig too much

12 hours ago, bigcat said:

Ok so just shot my first USPSA match in over 2 years with a borrowed Glock and had fun even though I am not a Glock fan. I would like to know if it is possible to find an all steel gun with enough high capacity mags to shoot a match for $800 or less. Was looking at armscor RI but the downside to them is the magazines are the para16 style and over $100 for base mag. Any other options out there?

To echo what everyone else has said, with your 3 criteria (steel frame, .40 caliber, ~20 round magazine capacity), I don't think you're going to find a complete setup for $800 or less, but the RIA double-stack is probably the closest you're going to get. I've looked into the 9 mm RIA doublestacks for 3 gun, and I know that there are some cheaper magazine options for those (like the Remington-marked ones for their rebranded Paras, or the Mec-Gar models - though I think sometimes you have to monkey around with the baseplates a bit to get them to play nice with magwells....) - maybe there would be similar options in .40 as well?

For what it's worth, while I think that there are better options than the RIAs overall, from what I've read on them, they're uniquely well-suited for testing the waters. They're a little rough out of the box, but they work well enough for just seeing how much you want to stick with shooting. And if you do decide that you want to stick things out for the long-haul, there are some shops out there (I'm in Texas, so Hayes Custom Guns comes to mind, but there are probably others) that do really good things with them. So, drop $700-ish on the base gun now, shoot it stock for a bit to make sure that this whole USPSA thing is worth spending more money on, then spend about that much on custom work, and you get a pretty solid performer. There are lots of options in the price/quality range of the final product (probably a few that are slightly cheaper or slightly better), but very few that let you amortize the cost over time like that....

I just found a rock double stack in 9mm already built with 4 built mags and one unbuilt mag for $700. I know sounds to good to be true but it happened. I agree with everything you said though

15 minutes ago, OPENB said:

A used Tanfoglio Stock III in 40 cal, maybe. Or a regular Witness. You could shoot production, limited, or limited 10. A SAO like the RIA, you won't be able to shoot production. 

Yes that is very true and a good point. I just got a very good deal on a RIA double stack though. It was to good to pass up so I am going to be a limited shooter for now. Thanks 

9 hours ago, bigcat said:

Yes that is very true and a good point. I just got a very good deal on a RIA double stack though. It was to good to pass up so I am going to be a limited shooter for now. Thanks 

Nothing wrong with that. Ltd. is a great place to improve your shooting skills. Lots of shooting, less reloading. I had a RIA Pro Match 40, probably one of the most accurate guns I've ever owned. Mine ran with Para & STI mags. 

25 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

If your interested in a RI Pro 40, PM me, maybe we can correct your issue.

I very much would have been interested but I just bought a RI 9mm double stack off of enos. Dang it anyway. Thanks but I don't have two purchases in me right now