Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving my bench to the garage worried about rusting and looking for tips?

I have my stuff in my basement which is pretty damp down there and things will flash rust quickly. I started spraying my presses with One Shot in a pinch being lazy and it has helped considerably.  Not sure if its the best long term but in a pinch it works good.

Have my setup in the garage as well and live in SoCal. Every once in a while I will get some rusting, but it's pretty normal here. I just take everything apart and clean it when I start to see signs of rust. Other than that just keep a towel over my press when I am not using it. At most you could look into a dehumidifier, but I don't think its absolutely necessary. 

On 10/29/2018 at 7:56 PM, dillon said:

We recommend using paste car wax, applied to steel non-moving parts to act as a moisture barrier.  Inexpensive is fine. Use a paper towel to wipe any moisture/ finger prints off, then apply using a cotton swab, paper towel, whathaveyou.

Thanks for the response. I will use this.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:30 AM, Doc1 said:

Ive never had issues with leaving primers and powder once they have been opened in their original container or in the powder droper in the garage. I live in very humid area but I also shoot 20k rounds per yr.

Thanks for the insight. You are shooting more than me by about 2x. I think your increased reloading is helping you out there.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, GrumpyOne said:

I live in north central Florida, and my press is outside in a non insulated utility shed, and has been there for years. There is light rust on the pull handle, but that is it. I've had no problem with Dillon dies rusting, but Lee dies seem to rust overnight. 

Maybe we should think about hard chrome on the presses? LOL

My lees dies rust very quickly as well.

Mine tarnished in the garage many years ago but I would stop short of calling it rust. It has caused zero issues and is only cosmetic.

I run a commercial dehumidifier but there are still times when we pull two wet cars in where humidity will be 60% plus for a few hours.

All my tool heads are kept in a job box which helps greatly.

Car exhaust seems to cause its own issues so be sure to vent the bays for a few min before and after pulling in/out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

I've been using various sprays to prevent rust but I don't like the idea of the residue.  I'm going to give the paste wax a try next go round

Rust / corrosion is caused by the oxygen and moisture in the air reacting with the iron in the metal. Anything that blocks the air and moisture from getting to the iron will work. At my work, I splice very large copper cables carrying DC current. Copper oxidizes easily in moist air, so we use a corrosion inhibitor called No-Ox-ID A. It is essentially a non conductive grease. Vaseline can also be used.