Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using back of target to assist in scoring

nuidad

Can any relevant information be gained by inspecting the backside of a target to verify a scoring hit on a non-moving paper target?  My question is in regard to enlarged, irregular holes as discussed in 9.5.5

2 hours ago, nuidad said:

Can any relevant information be gained by inspecting the backside of a target to verify a scoring hit on a non-moving paper target?  My question is in regard to enlarged, irregular holes as discussed in 9.5.5

Sometimes stacked or close pasters make a call difficult and looking on the back side can be of some possible help.  Situational and rare occasion.

1 hour ago, Hammer002 said:

Sometimes stacked or close pasters make a call difficult and looking on the back side can be of some possible help.  Situational and rare occasion.

Is it legal?

I had it in my head that you were only allowed to consider the "visible scoring area", but can not find that in the book now that I'm looking for it. 

8 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Is it legal?

I had it in my head that you were only allowed to consider the "visible scoring area", but can not find that in the book now that I'm looking for it. 

That was my thinking also but I wasn't able to find any applicable rule.

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Is it legal?

I understand the question and its actually a good point from a semantics point of view, but I was taught to do it and its almost always for the benefit of the shooter unless its a no shoot perf, but that usually doesnt need such a close look.  I was taught/told, all forms of "investigation" or "review" are available to the RO to make a correct call.

At area 4 a couple years ago I had to score a head shot that looked to be outside the perf but couldn't quite tell from the front due to all the tape.

From the back it looked like the perf broke, but I wanted to make sure so I called over McManus and he immediately said "we don't score targets from the back" 

Tape covering the perfs can be a problem.

If it looks like it is becoming a problem, it is time to replace the target. You can cope with some tape over perfs, using overlays - but that has limits too.

Edited by perttime

13 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

At area 4 a couple years ago I had to score a head shot that looked to be outside the perf but couldn't quite tell from the front due to all the tape.

From the back it looked like the perf broke, but I wanted to make sure so I called over McManus and he immediately said "we don't score targets from the back" 

Not to mention that not all targets have perfs all the way through.

22 hours ago, nuidad said:

I don't know about looking at the back, but sometimes the edges of the front get folded back to where you can't see them easily. I've had to poke a little from the back to see the edge of the hole to find the grease ring (so as to judge it as being a hit from a bullet as opposed to a barrel fragment or wood-chip.)

16 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

Yeah targets were changed after that happened. 

Some time ago, I RO'd a whole day on a stage that had only IPSC Mini targets. We had to change targets more often than the adjacent stage that used full size IPSC targets. Just because perforations were disappearing. Every hit and tape just covered a bigger percentage of target and perforation. I think you'd have to be changing targets very often, if the head of an USPSA targets is the main area to hit.

If you are looking for a double, then looking at the back of the target will let you know if there was two holes! It really does work from that perspective. I would not score a target from the rear because you can’t see the grease rings or the perfs. It’s just to verify the number of holes.