Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC 38SC tumbling

IDAHOAASHOOTER

Shooting plated bullets in open is flirting with issues,  the majority of open shooters shoot jacketed bullets with zero issues,  you can buy rmr jhp rounds for not much more and not have to worry,  plus they are made in idaho also. 

It is possible to find plated bullets that don't "keyhole", but you have to do your research. I found that RMR "supermatch" and Rainier 38 super TCP work well most of the time. Ended up settling on Montana Gold 124 FMJ for consistency, to me the minimal saving wasn't worth the risk.

6 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

It is possible to find plated bullets that don't "keyhole", but you have to do your research. I found that RMR "supermatch" and Rainier 38 super TCP work well most of the time. Ended up settling on Montana Gold 124 FMJ for consistency, to me the minimal saving wasn't worth the risk.

Here here. I agree. Piece of mind. 

I started shooting 125gn coated Blue Bullets in open division at the beginning of this year and had a tumbling issue myself. It turns out that the EGW align reamer that I used for the comp did not open up the comp quite enough for my setup. I went back thru the comp with a standard .375" Dia. reamer and can now consistently hit 4" steel at 50yds and don't have any keyholes in paper. I couldn't see any signs of the bullets touching the inside of the comp but running the .375 reamer through there took care of the problem I was having.   

Precision Delta bullets are slightly less expensive, but in my view they are every bit as good, just don't look as expensive.  :)  So I use both them and MG.

As far as plated bullets - I see quite a few open guys shoot them with no apparent issues.  Perhaps your gun is more sensitive, than some.

Blue Bullets I stopped using even in practice, as they deposited tons of lead in my comps. 

Hello: I just run 115 JHP's for all my open guns. One bullet maker and one load for many years works for me. I would agree that some of these so called cheaper plated and coated are not any cheaper than buying jacketed bullets in bulk. Some like the softer feel of plated or coated bullets but when the buzzer drops all that goes away for me. Thanks, Eric

If you are going to try some other bullets give Everglades 124 gr JHP RN version 2 a try, I've been running them for the last year and really like them. They are reasonably priced, consistence weight, feed great and accuracy is very good. I believe the last ones with a sale was a little over $.08 apiece when you bought the 3750 piece box.