Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited/open swap

WidowsSon683

So I currently shoot limited. Ive wanted to try open for a while now, just cant justify the cost in case I don't like it. On that note, would it be feasible and or realistic to have an open barrel fitted to my gun so I can swap out and play in open minor? Or would I have to change out too many parts to make it doable? It is currently a fdc but I would have no problem having that milled to a classic style.

I would think the main problem would be sights.  Open uses optics, Limited uses irons.  A new barrel would do noth9ing for the sights.

What about a new slide - barrel with the slide accepting one of the new small optics that seem popular these days?  Alternately, have the slide milled to accept the interchangeable plates so that you can switch between iron and optics on the gun and try it that way to get an idea of how much you like it.  Not worrying about a different cartridge or compensator.

At least to start with, the fdc should not be a problem.

1 hour ago, Guy Neill said:

I would think the main problem would be sights.  Open uses optics, Limited uses irons.  A new barrel would do noth9ing for the sights.

What about a new slide - barrel with the slide accepting one of the new small optics that seem popular these days?  Alternately, have the slide milled to accept the interchangeable plates so that you can switch between iron and optics on the gun and try it that way to get an idea of how much you like it.  Not worrying about a different cartridge or compensator.

At least to start with, the fdc should not be a problem.

Yeah, I would drill the frame for a red dot mount so I could keep my irons there for the limited side.

I know guys who have built another top end and drilled holes in the frame for a mount. In fact the honcho from PT is built for this purpose. One frame and three guns. I also know a few builders that offer a second top end going from open to limited or .40 to 9 for a limited gun. 

IMHO I would just have two full guns. Makes things that much easier. 

3 hours ago, Mikeski said:

I know guys who have built another top end and drilled holes in the frame for a mount. In fact the honcho from PT is built for this purpose. One frame and three guns. I also know a few builders that offer a second top end going from open to limited or .40 to 9 for a limited gun. 

IMHO I would just have two full guns. Makes things that much easier. 

That's basically what I'm going for. A cheap bastards Honcho, because I am..... a cheap bastard. From some of the opinions here and elsewhere, it looks like ill be better off getting a whole other top end and just swap out when I change divisions.

16 hours ago, WidowsSon683 said:

So I currently shoot limited. Ive wanted to try open for a while now, just cant justify the cost in case I don't like it. On that note, would it be feasible and or realistic to have an open barrel fitted to my gun so I can swap out and play in open minor? Or would I have to change out too many parts to make it doable? It is currently a fdc but I would have no problem having that milled to a classic style.

Jerry,

Rather than butchering your Limited gun, I suggest talking to the Open shooters at your club about borrowing one for a season, or even buying one used.  If you buy a used gun, decide you don't like it and sell it again it will cost you little to nothing at all.  On the other hand if you build an Open top end for your gun, you'll never recover the cost if you decide to sell it.

Edited by kneelingatlas

The capacity 'disadvantage' of 40 Open is not serious.  In three seasons I can recall only one time it would have been advantageous to start with 29 instead of 26.  I have two 40 Open guns.  There are several advantages.  The main disadvantage is bullet cost.  9mm bullets are less expensive.

That being said, I concur with the notion your should not bastardize your pistol.  If you don't buy a used Open gun, have a second top end built for it.  You can decide whether that is 40 or 9mm.

Having made dual top ends twice, I can say IMO it is not the best choice for an already existing gun.

If you want to try Open minor for a while, drift out the rear sight and put a dovetail adapter and red dot on it.  It won't shoot as flat as a compensated gun, but you get to see if you like optics.

I have an open/limited minor gun. It's an SV slide on an STI frame. I had the slide cut for a Bomar rear & Dawson FO front, & a KKM bull barrel fitted. When I want it set up for Limited minor, I unbolt the Cmore, swap barrels, slide on the sights & zero them. If I wanted to shoot major, I could get a 40 breechface for the IBF slide & get some 40 mags. Very versatile & 100% reliable. 

Id also need a 40 extractor possibly an ejector. But in 9mm, it's 100% GTG. 

Edited by OPENB