Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skeletonized upper/lower receiver

Pcew73

I’m looking at doing a new 3 gun build and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with dirt or debris getting in a skeletonized upper and lower receiver and causing function problems.  I’m thinking of something along the lines of the lead star arms Lsa-15.  Also looking for suggestions for manufactures.  

Edited by Pcew73

I don't have one, but I've shot with a few people who have them, and I've never seen them cause any issues. But that said:

On 9/26/2018 at 6:55 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

If you're looking to save weight, double check the weights since the F1 receivers actually weigh more than some standard receivers.

This is imminently true. All of the skeletonized receivers that I've looked at (and it's entirely possible that I'm excluding some) start from a big, chunky billet, and those weigh substantially more than standard forged receivers. So, after all of the lightening cuts, you usually wind up with a receiver that's lighter than most billet receivers, but still heavier than a forged receiver.

I looked into this for my last build, and I came to the conclusion that it's pretty much a wash. On the one hand, it's not likely to cause any reliability issues based on what I've seen. On the other hand, they don't really provide many tangible benefits. I guess one could argue that you do get some fringe benefits, since most of the companies that make those skeletonized receivers are smaller boutique manufacturers who will turn out a product with better fit and finish overall... but they probably also make non-skeletonized receivers with the same overall quality.

It almost comes down to just cosmetics. Do you think they look cool? Is how cool they look worth any price difference to you? That's a completely justifiable rationale for something that you're buying for a hobby that you enjoy, so if the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then rock on, and don't worry too much about it.

Personally I probably wouldn’t use one. It introduces the chance of a debris related failure for simply looking cool. Look at any of the videos of the Texas Hard as Hell or this year’s Generation III matches and think if you would want a rifle with any holes in it while shooting those matches- I would not. 

You won’t notice any weight savings once the buzzer goes off. It could weigh 30lbs and I wouldn’t feel a thing until I was taking it back to the truck. 

Edited by Shooter116

Thank you guys.  I’m impartial to either way, I just like the look and wanted something a little different. I only know of 1 guy around here that has one that he uses at all of the series matches and the majors he has been in and to my knowledge he hasn’t had any problems.  He’s using a lead star.  I would be getting one from a local dealer who does his own.  They are great quality. I have one of his guns that I not only shoot 3-gun with but also carry one everyday at work.   Not worried about weight but rather want it for looks.  

I shot in a carbine match this past weekend. I thought the uppers and lowers looked cool. What I had witnessed happen never crossed my mind as to the possibility of happening, but where else would it happen, only in a match.  I noticed a round get hung up in a cut out place in the rifle and it cost the shooter valuable time, 15 to 20 seconds. I was surprised and it may never happen again, but it sold me on not getting that set up.  They still look cool though.

They are pretty cool looking but I don’t think the cool factor and slightly less weight is worth the extra time if something random happens or it gets dirty and won’t function properly during a stage. 

The F1 Firearms skeletonized upper weighs, per their website, .41 pounds = 6.56 ounces and is $275 +$12.50 shipping

The Aero Preceision regular upper also weighs in at 6.5 ounces

The Aero one also comes in under $80, and I got mine on black friday last year for $53, delivered.

There's no weight savings, you're buying the "cool factor".  That said, they look really cool (especially when they're cerakoted), but it's your money, and you can spend it however you want.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion might be a little biased but I've ran thousands of rounds for 3 years now, in all conditions through F1 Firearms rifles without a single malfunction. Not only do I compete with them but throughout the year I hunt with them as well. They've been put through rain, mud, south TX dust storms and everything you can imagine getting carried around a ranch. From my experience they actually run cleaner. Carbon/debris is allowed to blow out instead of being trapped inside. Now as stated above concerning weight, no they are not the lightest. With all the skeletonizing on the 7075 t6 receivers F1 still wanted to retain strength and that's at the cost of thickness/weight. But as mentioned you will save more weight in the barrel and optics than anything else. With that said F1 is offering Proof Research barrels on complete builds for only $375! LMK if you have any questions and I can also send you a 15% discount code ?

• 2 months later...

I have a f1 firearms skeletonized SBR that I have run many drills and competitions with. People seem to think that there the action is going to get gunked up more than what really happens. The only way I think that could happen is if I left it in mud to dry. Water and dirt have not been a problem so far. Let me know if you have any other questions.