Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carpal Tunnel and shooting

Foxj66

On 9/1/2018 at 3:10 AM, Hammer002 said:

J, it’s B.  Guy I shoot steel challenge with a lot had surgeries in both hands (wrists) earlier this year.  Had an excellent surgeon, supposed to be the best in this area.  Was about a month to anything useful and he couldn’t stay away, was shooting with weight training padded gloves earlier than probably should have.  He’s 100 percent now.  Can easily be done in early off season and expect to return (knowing your drive) 100 percent physically with some skill reconditioning the next season barring some type of unexpected complication.  Unfortunately, I may be in the same boat soon.  If you want any other info, message me.  

PS....may just have to look into PCC to shoot earlier than should.  Lol.

Hammer is referring to me in this post.  He's right I came back a little early at 3 weeks out.  The Golds Gym weight lifting gloves (from Walmart) helped a ton.  It's been 11 months and I'm doing great.  Best decision I ever made having the surgeries.  I had the left done first and then 6 weeks later did the right.  The left was much worse than the right hand. The surgeon couldn't believe that I was right handed considering the left was so much worse.   I waited to long (should have had the surgery a year sooner.) The surgeon wasn't sure if I would be able to get  my strength back in the left hand.  It took a while but it's back now.  I could only squeeze 55 lbs of pressure before the surgery and 8 weeks after I was able to squeeze 115 lbs without any pain.   The Surgeon wanted to do both hands at once, my wife is a Nurse and my Son is also a Dr. and they both thought it would be fine to have both hands done at once.  My plan was to do that but I kept thinking that maybe I should have only one hand done at a time just to see how it goes.  30 minutes before they put me under I listened to that inner voice and changed my mind and told them just to do the left.  I'm glad that I made that decision because it would have been hard to do the simple and necessary things in life with both hands bandaged.  It took 3 weeks before I could use the repaired hand to open the heavy fire doors at work.  So having them done at different times was a good choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had the tests / torture done this past week and yes it is carpal tunnel.  I am waiting for a referral to a surgeon to schedule the repair.  I am glad that you folks did not elaborate on the testing process, it was a SOB :) 

29 minutes ago, Aggieddad02 said:

Well, I had the tests / torture done this past week and yes it is carpal tunnel.  I am waiting for a referral to a surgeon to schedule the repair.  I am glad that you folks did not elaborate on the testing process, it was a SOB :) 

How did you like the stun gun?

A surgeon makes his money doing surgery not trying different things that might help instead of surgery. My carpal tunnel surgery was good for 6 months. Other guys I know are cured from symptoms after surgery and 4 years later are good to go. Didn’t work for me. 

Like I said earlier in this thread, I had the right wrist done in 1996, still no issues, the left wrist done in 2015 and no issues. There are several different types of surgeries they can do, and it depends on how severe the constriction is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update you on cortisone shot. Knocked pain down by 75+%, tingling almost gone. If pain comes back I will try to make it till end of season, then have test and/or surgery. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Well tomorrow morning is go time for the right wrist, strong hand.  Having the procedure done by an Orthopedic surgeon who specializes in doing the procedure endoscopically.  I have a good friend who used this surgeon for his hands and he told me they did his second hand 2 weeks after the first.  Planning to take a minimum of 3 months off from shooting and hopefully by that time I will be ready to return.  I will let you folks know how it goes. 

• 6 months later...

I had my surgery about 11 months ago.  I didn't shoot anything for 3 weeks, then started back with a 22.  I was quite surprised, my grip was far more consistent and so was my shooting.  I figured that after that many weeks off I would have problems, not so.  My scar was only about 1/2" long.  I was back at work typing the next day.  In my opinion, finding the right doctor is the key.  I've seen very long scars (see pics in this thread) and my very short scar.  Less stitches the better for me.  I need to have the other hand done soon during "holiday shooting break".  Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Had my other hand done 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Easier than the first hand.  Stitches out in 12 days, another very short scar.  Surgery area completely healed.  Doc would prefer me not shooting for a few more weeks.  EZPZ as it's holiday break, so I'm good.  Already I can feel this hand stronger after the surgery than affected by the problem before the surgery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, Polaris13 said:

Had my other hand done 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Easier than the first hand.  Stitches out in 12 days, another very short scar.  Surgery area completely healed.  Doc would prefer me not shooting for a few more weeks.  EZPZ as it's holiday break, so I'm good.  Already I can feel this hand stronger after the surgery than affected by the problem before the surgery.

That's awesome man.  It's cool to hear that the procedure is as effective as it is.  Happy for you!