Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carpal Tunnel and shooting

Foxj66

3 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Surgeons will always tell you it is necessary - most likely so his wife can

pay off her beemer    :(

Last option, only - don't jump in too quickly.

Good luck with it, either way.    :) 

Haven't spoken with a surgeon yet. That was the doctor that did the EMG and my normal doctor

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After paying attention to numbness in my right hand / fingers for several months, I had it checked. I had moderate carpal tunnel according to the neurologist. I scheduled the surgery to be after my September 3 gun match (FNH). About 30 minutes in the O.R. for the surgeon, 4 weeks out of work, which was before snow removal time in New England. I was given some exercises by the doctor, didn't go to P.T. because I didn't abuse it.  

My personal experience was positive, and I wouldn't hesitate to go through it again if needed.  

My incision can't be seen, and I know where it was. Put it off for too long, then your hand gets messed up far more than taking care of it early. Think of it as preventative maintenance. 

Admitted disclaimer:  my issues were not carpal tunnel but herniated disks in my back, putting pressure on my sciatic nerve.  So, acknowledging it's a different issue, it is still nerve related.  

What my surgeon did not tell me before my first back surgery but I learned all too clearly afterwards is that when a nerve is constantly pressed upon, it "bruises" (quotes because these are the layman's terms my doctor explained it in) and the bruise remains after the injury is corrected by the surgery.  This means that while the pain/numbness/whatever is dramatically reduced immediately after the surgery, some form of it still remains for as long as the bruise remains.  The good news is that the bruise will heal with time.  The bad news is that the bruised nerve heals backwards from its farthest extremity back to the point of injury at a rate of one inch per month.  In my case, my nerve was bruised from my spine all the way to my left foot.  I'm 5' 10" tall, so I'll let you do the math and confirm that it was over two years after the surgery before the pain abated enough that I felt well enough to call myself healed.  

My point?  I totally 100% understand doing everything you can to make the surgery a last resort, and even to conveniently schedule it around major life events like holidays and ceremonies and championships, which I attempted to do the first time around until I literally had to be carried out of my office and driven home by a colleague because the pain got so bad I could no longer walk.  My boss told me to leave and not come back until I was fixed, which is a helluva conversation that I made her have with me, and I still feel bad about doing that to her.  Long story short, all the time I spent screwing around with chiropractors and electrical therapy and epidural blocks and this 'n that probably added a solid year to my recovery time due to the bruise extending down my leg while I unsuccessfully exhausted all the maybe alternatives while a proven cure was staring me in the face.  If somebody wants to try something else before going under the knife, I won't argue against it, but be fully aware that there's a clock ticking at the point of injury, and it needs to get fixed as soon as possible or you could lose more time than you anticipate during the recovery process after getting it fixed for real.

Don't wait on getting fixed.  The way my doc phrased it "the damage is there and it won't go away by itself.  The longer you wait the worse the damage gets and the longer it takes to recover and regain the strength".  Since the problem is caused by repetitive motion (dryfire maybe?)  you can stop all activity and it won't get worse but it won't get better because the tissue causing the problem won't go away, it amounts to scarring around the nerves. 

My experience:  Diagnosed while I was in getting checked for a torn ligament in my left hand.  Recommended surgery on both hands about 6 months apart which i did.  I lost about 9 months of shooting time.  I had the left done first(right handed) and then the right.  By the time the right healed I could stand to slam magazines in with the left.  Another 2-3 months to get back to better than where I stopped because of the pain and numbness.  Then I developed Trigger thumb on the right hand.  Had that fixed and both hands are better than before surgery.  Still have the ligament tear.

YMMV

Paul Beck

I had carpal and cubital tunnel surgery on my left side last January and was back shooting (single stack minor) at our March match. By June I was back to shooting my 40 cal limited gun with no problems.

I just scheduled my surgery for my right side (carpal only) for the end of this December and hope to be recoved in time for shooting again in March. I don't see why I wouldn't be, but this is my dominant hand so I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...

Well guys, had the left hand and wrist done last Thursday. It did not cause as much discomfort as I'd envisioned. I was, incorrectly, comparing it to back surgery and knee replacement as to expectations of post-op pain. It has been no where near those two for the pain after surgery. I'm a plumber/pipe fitter by trade. I'm going back to work on Monday and am going to get the right side done in two weeks. It doesn't burn anymore and just a miniscule amount of numbness remaining. Pain level is a 2 out of 10. I'm very pleased with the results. I'm using my left hand to help type this. Thank you to all who took the time to offer counsel. 

Regards,

Wade

Edited by coordinator

• 3 weeks later...

Hey glad its going well. I have tendinitis and carpal tunnel in my left arm/hand. Ive been considering the surgery, but ive had moderate results with anti inflammatory foods stretching and cbd cream of all things... let us know how it works out in the long run. I might have to do the same.

• 1 month later...
I recommend that you use surgery only as a Last Resort, iff the pain is Very Uncomfortable
and will NOT go away even with proper exercises and rest in combination.

Do Everything you can do to make the situation better before you consider surgery.

I've heard from MANY people that they suffered 6 months of rehab and the surgery
did NOT solve anything.

Try exercise and rest first, in healthy doses before you let a surgeon at you.    :cheers: 

I would second this advise. Proceed cautiously when considering surgery and always get a 2nd opinion when a surgeon tells you that surgery is necessary. Surgery should always be a last resort. There are so many things that can go wrong or the original issue may not be fixed or even get worse. I’ve had 5 surgeries, 3 on my back. The last was a spinal fusion and the renowned neurosurgeon told me I would be good as new, but it has left me with double the amount of pain. It’s been 9 years since my fusion and I regret it every day. I wish I would’ve sought out a 2nd opinion and not rushed into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m glad that your recovery is going better than you expected. I’m currently seeking a second opinion in regards to whether my wrist requires surgery. I’ve had such bad luck with past back surgeries that I’m extremely hesitant to ever go under the knife again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a number of people in my family who have had negative experiences with surgeons.     😪

They are like used car salesmen - they have pet phrases, like :

*  this surgery will take less than an hour

*  it's so safe it will be performed in my office

*  I've performed hundreds of these procedures

*  I use  (   fill in the blank   )  which is minimally invasive

*  recovery will be a few days on aspirin

etc etc etc.

Surgeons underestimate the amount of pain they cause, and fully

underestimate the risk (the number of side effects) they cause.

My cataract surgeon tested my vision a few days after surgery, and

reported it as 20/20, when I was struggling to see clearly - and most

optometrists cannot believe how many "floaters" I have in that eye, that

negatively impact my vision.     🧐

My hernia surgeon left me an 8" slit on both sides (compared to a 2"

slit for my first surgery), and ten years later, I still have nerve damage

on the one side).     :eatdrink:

Like all professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc) they suffer

from extreme optimism and tremendous faith in their own ability,

and a tremendous amount of "conflict of interest" :   If they do not

"get the sale" (convince you to be operated on), they stand to lose

an obscene amount of revenue - they won't be able to pay the monthly

fee on the Club, the Mercedes the new swimming pool and the

dual Akai's in .38 SC.

Even a 2nd opinion won't necessarily save you from their clutches

because it's another surgeon you're talking to.     💲

Only YOUR wisdom and intelligence can save you from believing

their omnipotent desire to make more $$$$, at YOUR expense.

Tread lightly  :) 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I have a number of people in my family who have had negative experiences with surgeons.     😪

They are like used car salesmen - they have pet phrases, like :

*  this surgery will take less than an hour

*  it's so safe it will be performed in my office

*  I've performed hundreds of these procedures

*  I use  (   fill in the blank   )  which is minimally invasive

*  recovery will be a few days on aspirin

etc etc etc.

Surgeons underestimate the amount of pain they cause, and fully

underestimate the risk (the number of side effects) they cause.

My cataract surgeon tested my vision a few days after surgery, and

reported it as 20/20, when I was struggling to see clearly - and most

optometrists cannot believe how many "floaters" I have in that eye, that

negatively impact my vision.     🧐

My hernia surgeon left me an 8" slit on both sides (compared to a 2"

slit for my first surgery), and ten years later, I still have nerve damage

on the one side).     :eatdrink:

Like all professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc) they suffer

from extreme optimism and tremendous faith in their own ability,

and a tremendous amount of "conflict of interest" :   If they do not

"get the sale" (convince you to be operated on), they stand to lose

an obscene amount of revenue - they won't be able to pay the monthly

fee on the Club, the Mercedes the new swimming pool and the

dual Akai's in .38 SC.

Even a 2nd opinion won't necessarily save you from their clutches

because it's another surgeon you're talking to.     💲

Only YOUR wisdom and intelligence can save you from believing

their omnipotent desire to make more $$$$, at YOUR expense.

Tread lightly  :) 

I am sorry to hear you have had difficulties with recovery from some of your surgeries.  I agree that there is unfortunately, a conflict of interest. I agree that just because someone is a doctor doesn’t mean they are ethical.  That being said, most surgeons do have the patients’ best interest in mind.  The fact is you are a sample size of 1.  Also, not all surgeries face the same risks/benefits.  Back surgery in particular is one the surgeries where the outcome of success per the patient’s definition, has a low likelihood of happening.  The individual patient should discuss the risks/benefits with their surgeon.  Most surgeons have very limited time so I would advise any patient not to start talking about anything that isn’t directly related to their surgery/condition.  No surgery can be guaranteed to be 100% effective and if the surgeon says you will be “as good as new”, you should probably look elsewhere.   Unfortunately, there is not a great way to determine how good the surgeon actually is. I have heard many different surgeons called “world renowned “ that are not.   Also, because each surgery is different and because patients may have additional risks within the same type of surgery, going by other patients recommendations is not a wise means of determining who is a good surgeon.   Finally, I would not recommend using a surgeon’s bedside manner as a criteria for determining who is a good surgeon. A surgeon should allow you to ask as many pertinent questions as needed, and then give you an accurate and honest response.  Their personality does not determine how good of a surgeon they are. Facts are facts and the best surgeons are actually the ones that are most likely to get sued because often they don’t have the best bedside manner.

FYI There are many different etiologies of floaters and cataract surgery will never by itself eliminate floaters.  Also, if you can read at least half the  20/20 letters, you are 20/20 by definition.  That 20/20 may not be as clear as you hoping for.  I am not trying to single you out, I am just trying to point out it is important that patients understand the risks of surgery as well as have a clear idea of what success is.  Finally, they should understand the natural history of non-treatment.

Edited by B585
Additional details

23 hours ago, HUYTERII said:

Are there any exercises for treating carpal tunnel? It seems to me that it`s not a critical diagnosis and you`ll later will be able not to be afraid of any trouble when shooting

I'm not sure about exercises for carpal tunnel but I would suggest avoiding doing what aggravates it to speed its recovery.  I think some even suggest wrist splints to restrict movement.  Like the neuroma in my foot, exercises may only make things worse.  I don't believe it is like arthritis in that  moving and working through the pain can actually help in arthritis.  I hope you find it leaves quickly!

Don't quote me on this part, but you may want to try adding some bone broth, or at least gelatin, to your diet.  Given that tendons and ligaments are involved, you may benefit from ingesting more of these amino acids to help repair tissues with.

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I had my left side done last year.

I just had my right carpal tunnel release the day after Christmas 2018. I shot for the first time last weekend - 20 rounds out of a Glock 17. So about one month since surgery. It wasn't terrible, but I'm going to give it another month before I shoot again. I went back to work three days after the surgery (accounting), but the shock of the recoil did not feel great.

My left side healed well and I have no more symptoms. I had it done in January and was back shooting all last year starting in March.

20 hours ago, davidb72 said:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I had my left side done last year.

I just had my right carpal tunnel release the day after Christmas 2018. I shot for the first time last weekend - 20 rounds out of a Glock 17. So about one month since surgery. It wasn't terrible, but I'm going to give it another month before I shoot again. I went back to work three days after the surgery (accounting), but the shock of the recoil did not feel great.

My left side healed well and I have no more symptoms. I had it done in January and was back shooting all last year starting in March.

I'm glad to hear your left side healed well.  It sounds like your right sight has a good forcast!

21 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

Thank you. Like a lot of people who have had it I wonder why I waited so long.

Well, I don't think surgery is something most folks like to rush into.  And some procedures entail more risk than some feel they can justify.  From what you say it sounds like your particular procedure tends to garner favorable results.  Happy for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not accupuncture helps a lot, and there are even clinical tests to prove it. I still stretch and exercise to keep the muscles strong, but acupuncture has eliminated, for now, any need for surgery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3523426/

Our findings indicated that the acupuncture can improve the overall subjective symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome and could be adopted in comprehensive care programs of these patients.

or

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/acupuncture-for-carpal-tunnel-syndrome#3

On 9/1/2018 at 4:22 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Carpal Tunnel is a repetitive motion disorder. Any repetitive motion can cause it.

Also, Carpal Tunnel may not only be in the wrist, but also in the elbow and shoulder. The same nerves go through a cartilage tunnel in each of those joints. The most common type is the wrist however. 

They may take a metal ring, with a wire attached to it, put it on your ring finger, and them take a stun gun and shock your wrist, your elbow, and your shoulder, and time each shock to the metal ring. This will let them know at which joint the constriction is taking place.

GrumpyOne, is it at this point that you tell them anything they want to know 😞 .  I am at the point where I wake up at night sometimes and lay there with the needle piercing feeling that does not seem to want to go away.  Thanks to this thread I am pursuing a referral to a doctor who has experience with treating this.

Once again a BE topic that hits home.  Thanks to everyone that added to this post 

UPDATE

I had Carpal Tunnel Release surgery on both hands the same day in the middle of January, I was back at work the following day (desk job)

It was almost instant relief of the pain in hands. As for shooting I shot a little bit 3-1/2 weeks after surgery but it still bothers my weak hand a little in recoil so right now I am just do light dry fire and waiting a few more days to try shooting again.

19 hours ago, Foxj66 said:

UPDATE

I had Carpal Tunnel Release surgery on both hands the same day in the middle of January, I was back at work the following day (desk job)

It was almost instant relief of the pain in hands. As for shooting I shot a little bit 3-1/2 weeks after surgery but it still bothers my weak hand a little in recoil so right now I am just do light dry fire and waiting a few more days to try shooting again.

Awesome that your surgery went well Fox!  Don't rush shooting again.  You'll regret it if you come back too soon.