Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range pcc

According to my Strelok program, The drop for my PCC load at 200 yards is 63.08 inches.  That was with 147gr RN going 908fps.

With my 124gr load, the drop at 200 yards is 52.05 inches.

You're going to need to have some pretty hot rounds to flatten out the trajectory

According to my Strelok program, The drop for my PCC load at 200 yards is 63.08 inches.  That was with 147gr RN going 908fps.
With my 124gr load, the drop at 200 yards is 52.05 inches.
You're going to need to have some pretty hot rounds to flatten out the trajectory

What velocity $ zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't shoot in matches but do bench rest my AR-9s (4 of them) at 100yds.

My experience has been that at 50yds 1-10 twist barrels do just as well as my 1-16 twist barrel.  Loads that hover around an inch for ten shots at 50yds very rarely go under 3 inches at 100yds from my 1-10 twist barrels.  If they do it is not repeatable and always a handload, never factory.  I've had six of 10 in a ragged hole at 100yds but the other four opened the group up to almost 4 inches.

My cheap ($100) 1-16 twist barrel is the lightest of the bunch and if it shoots 10 shots into an inch at 50yds it will put the same load of 10 shots into 2 inches or just slightly over at 100yds.  I've done this over and over with loads as heavy as 147grs. 

Next I'm trying some 158s.

My theory is these pistol bullets aren't built with quite the same degree of precision as our rifle bullets so the overly fast spin of the 1-10 twist will always show up any imperfection in the bullets at longer ranges.  Just my observations with the 6 barrels I've been testing (over 5000 rounds this summer).  One of those barrels is on a friends AR-9 and the other is on a Ruger PC carbine.

If anybody is interested the most accurate factory or reloaded ammo has used Remington BJHPs (Golden Saber) and Speer Gold Dots so far.

37 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Slowpoke.

My 125s do 137PF (1,100ish FPS) out of my production gun. Out of a PCC they’re around 1,200.

Those were my Steel challenge loads out of my Taccom ULW barrel.

My USPSA 16" PCC is actually 1054 fps

121 PF  
It's my steel challenge load.  Steel Challenge doesn't have floor for PF.

Realized after my post that I was thinking through USPSA tunnel vision. I suspect that is a great, soft shooting load for steel.

1 minute ago, GeneBray said:

Realized after my post that I was thinking through USPSA tunnel vision. I suspect that is a great, soft shooting load for steel.

I had it down to 115pf, but it was inconsistent, so i bumped it up.  It's pretty soft out of my Taccom ULW barrel.

We run .22 rimfire precision optics out to 350y +.  Taking a 9 mm out to 200 y isn’t a big deal.  Just get a good velocity and then put in your pcc specifics into a ballistic solver (many available for your phone or JBM on line).   This will give you a good starting point.  Hit the range and confirm and record your dope.  If using a red dot you will have to hold for all distances beyond your zero.  If running a quality 1-4 or the like, you could dial for the longer targets.  Hope this helps.  

Edited by Nick Weidhaas