Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range pcc

I have a pcc Match coming up that will have 100-200yd shots.  Has anyone done any testing on loads for longer than normal shots with the pcc?  I was thinking of loading either 124g HAP or MG JHP to almost major (~1300-1350fps)  to flatten out the trajectory but have no clue if this will Work or not.  Any experience?

48 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

My 115gr JHP @ 1405fps load is -28.4 inch drop @ 200YD... Farthest target last year at this match was 185-187 YD full size silhouette for a -19.6 inch drop that coincided with my 5.56 BDC reticle 600YD aiming point.. 

I would assume the 124’s have a touch more drop but probably within an inch right?  Did you test the loads

before hand at distance?  (I don’t practice much and surely won’t sight my dot in at this range prior to the match so this post will be used as my testing!!)

2 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

42" drop seems "terrible" to me.   Aim at the chin and hit the knee ??

Bet a lot of shooters won't hit the target at 200 yards with a 9mm.

That is probably a fair conclusion.  I may fall into this category but I have at least 47 chances.

8 minutes ago, sbo76 said:

I would assume the 124’s have a touch more drop but probably within an inch right?  Did you test the loads

before hand at distance?  (I don’t practice much and surely won’t sight my dot in at this range prior to the match so this post will be used as my testing!!)

They have out to 300 yards available on the public range at Rio. You may want to spend a little time learning your holds.

holds.JPG

I became tired of having guns pointed at me at the main range and refuse

to go back.  I have HP privileges but this is a 1 time thing so I don’t really care enough to spend time learning where my 9mm pcc hits at ~200yds.  This is why I’m throwning my hands in the air and letting the internet guru’s take the wheel.  I’m fully willing to accept the results of my time spent mastering the shot.

Edited by sbo76
17 minutes ago, sbo76 said:

Yea you can get 124's to be close to the same drop with the correct velocity... I needed the 124's to be 1290fps to match up with the 5.56mm BDC in my optic.. end of the day the 115gr load is flatter in my MPX's with the MBX comp's so t use the 115's only now.

You need to shoot @ distance you  can't trust a BZO @ 17-25 YD to be close to hitting where it is supposed to @ 100 +... lots of windage adjustment to bring the BZO in @ 100YD in my experience with no noticeable change on the 17-25 YD targets afterwords.

56 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

42" drop seems "terrible" to me.   Aim at the chin and hit the knee ??

Bet a lot of shooters won't hit the target at 200 yards with a 9mm.

Kinda like shooting my 223 at 500 yards. If the load is reasonably accurate and the target isn't tiny then I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I have a pcc Match coming up that will have 100-200yd shots.  Has anyone done any testing on loads for longer than normal shots with the pcc?  I was thinking of loading either 124g HAP or MG JHP to almost major (~1300-1350fps)  to flatten out the trajectory but have no clue if this will Work or not.  Any experience?

Look at Precision Delta 124 gr JHP. Nearly identical to HAPs. You can use XTP ballistics for estimates. I would load hot - ~1,500 fps - and zero at 25 to 50 yards depending on where most of the targets will be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
34 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

Look at Precision Delta 124 gr JHP. Nearly identical to HAPs. You can use XTP ballistics for estimates. I would load hot - ~1,500 fps - and zero at 25 to 50 yards depending on where most of the targets will be set.

124 gr at 1500 fps?  186 PF in a PCC?  I'll let you try it first.

5 hours ago, Neomet said:

I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Go to 4:38 and watch some old fart (nuthin' but luv Richard!) kick it's ass with an iron sighted Sterling.  

But Rich practices and knows his drops!!  How are we supposed to compete with that??  

?