Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

South Florida Section Championship

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody heard if the range survived the hurricane?

Is the match still good to go?

I have the same questions.

What is it with me, major matches, and hurricanes this year??? I'm contemplating giving up shooting and going back to medical school... <_<

I hope everyone there is ok. :(

GOOD NEWS! :D

I just talked to Sandy Thalheimer, he has just now got his power back on and can move out of the travel trailer and back into his house. The match is still scheduled. The hurricane did not do a lot of structural damage in the area, just a lot of water, and of course it knocked out power. About 65% of the power has been restored.

The range suffered superficial damage only, the tin from the sun shelter roofs blew off, water is everywhere but should drain or evaporate away before the match. Stage construction is scheduled to start this weekend. If there is any bad news it will be made known after this weekend.

Cross your fingers ;)

Count on ten stages. The shooting for competitors will start Saturday morning and Sunday morning around 8:00. I would plan on a 250+ round count. The people here have worked hard on the props and they will look great. The stages will be challenging but you need not have a degree in rocket science to figure them out. I"ll get the true round count and start times and post tonight. Old John

The info!

Saturday morning 8:00 shooters meeting. The range will be open earlier for walking.

Sunday first shot at 8:45. The South Fl. section will provide a shooters free bar-b-q lunch Sunday. Vendors will be at the range Sat. for food purchase. The round count should be 258.

If I can get the satages I'll post them but it should be stright forward around cool props. Expect to finish Sunday around 3:30. Old John

Just got home, had a blast.

Congrats to SmittyFL and Henning on HOA's.

I met / squadded with Sharon, Sandro, SmittyFL, Schoonie, and ZHunter of course. MikeVoigt shot with our squad for fun today.

Fun match, nice people and the best squad I ever shot on. You had to fight to find something to paste, or reset. There was literally a CROWD of people walking downrange to help after every "Range is clear" command. Many hands make light work.

Sharon got some good video of all of us, and yes before it even starts, she got me pulling a "half chimp flip" in the mud. I'm sure it will be up here soon. <_<

Edited by dirtypool40

Sharon got some good video of all of us, and yes before it even starts, she go me pulling a "half chimp flip" in the mud. I'm sure it will be up here soon. <_<

Just so long as she doesn't "airbrush" Jake's favorite bikini on you, it's all good! :lol:

Will there be examples of "crossover" and "forward lunge" and "sneak/roll" for our viewing pleasure? ;) And, does one need to know a "half chimp flip" to be a GM?? :o:lol:

Edited by XRe

I have to agree with DP, it was a GREAT SQUAD!!!!!

WE had a "blast" and although our shooting REALLY sucked the first day, we all made comebacks the second day.

It is always great to put faces to BE forum names, so that made it just that much more fun. Once again, sorry that Nemo was not there to enjoy the weekend, you were missed dude!!!!

I was educational to shoot with such awesome shooters as SmittyFL and DirtyPool40. You guys had a good match. The videos should be VERY funny to say the least!

It was a pleasure to shoot with Mike Voight, a great guy who was tirelessly patient with our questions about USPSA and the sport in general. We are lucky to have a guy like Mike to lead our sport. He is also a awesome shooter who gave all who asked some help along the way!

Schoonie, Sandro, Sharyn, Keith "the lurker", and all the rest whom I might have forgotten, thanks for a great weekend.

And, although we did not shoot together, Cliff Walsh and a Henning along with a few others joined us for the BE dinner on the Saturday night. Good time and it was nice to meet you guys.

Cliff, you guys are a CRAZY bunch!!!!!!

Edited by zhunter

Hey Z,

Thanks for making the BE get together happen! The excellant ribs were worth the long drive!

Our special guest was certainly a surprise and I enjoyed the conversations about our organization. Mike has my vote for Benevolent Dictator of USPSA.

Many thanks to the match organizers for putting on a good and well organized match that was fun to participate in.

The DP video is most impressive! but also discouraging for the other shooters that failed to beat him on that stage :( , nice job Eric.

Will there be examples of "crossover" and "forward lunge" and "sneak/roll" for our viewing pleasure? ;) And, does one need to know a "half chimp flip" to be a GM?? :o:lol:

Actually since you mention it, I think my secret chimp flip technique may be holding me back and I might have to let it go.:P

This movement thing I am trying to learn hasn't sunk in to become habit quite yet, and I still view it as a "WP" or whenever possible technique.

But on the chimp flip, I was making that long crossover step which may have induced my exceeding the available coefficient of friction at that particular location.

Best example of that "lunge forward" we were talking about would have been on stage 7 where we ended, but you had to make a tiny little step to activate targets, so nope not there either. The courses were pretty open, and movement practice or not, I over ran and missed positions a lot. More work needed.

Of course, our famous camera man (Z) got me from the waist up on the stage where I got dinged for two procs entering a box to shoot the first target. From what I could see it looked close, but yes, that was the lunge forward, sorta.

Oh well, all in all, I had fun, met some good folks and learned a little more. I got to shoot with SMittyFL finally, and saw first hand how I am getting my but kicked. If that guys gets a gun that runs everyone is in trouble. He's winning like this with a bolt action!!!

Edited by dirtypool40