Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live Fire Drills

Hunter91

Start simple. Practice one thing at a time, to begin with. Can you shoot with reasonable accuracy? Draw and hit the A zone at various distances? Draw, hit the A zone, reload, hit the A zone? Draw, shoot, move, shoot? Draw, shoot, move and reload, shoot? Draw, hit the A zone, hit the A zone of a second and third target.

Edited by perttime

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Bill Drill & Dot Torture drill are always good.

Our host says he usually ends up a practice session with some 25 yard group shooting    :) 

Good tip! Thanks! 

12 hours ago, perttime said:

Start simple. Practice one thing at a time, to begin with. Can you shoot with reasonable accuracy? Draw and hit the A zone at various distances? Draw, hit the A zone, reload, hit the A zone? Draw, shoot, move, shoot? Draw, shoot, move and reload, shoot? Draw, hit the A zone, hit the A zone of a second and third target.

I pulled my open gun out of the safe yesterday and was shooting pretty good groups at 20 yards. Before I left to mess around with the service, I was raked GM. I was just curious if anyone had come up with any break through's while I was gone. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 7:05 PM, Broncman said:

Bill drill, dot torture accelerator, basic skills (draw ,2 shots A zone) and 09-04 pucker factor are my standards.

The Pucker factor classifier has distance, transitions, partial for accuracy, has it all!

Pucker factor is an awesome suggestion. Thanks!

Distance changeup from the stoeger book is a good one. I use a lot of partials as well to improve accuracy at speed. Transitions for sure. I always do a few shoot 2 reload shoot 2 on a different target. And I always end with some 25yd head shots (these kill me at matches)

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the entry and exit drills in skills and drills reloaded. That’s something that I never really worked on before and it was definitely my low hanging fruit. Also, doubles drill is one that a lot of people over look but has helped me a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/9/2018 at 4:14 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Bill Drill & Dot Torture drill are always good.

Our host says he usually ends up a practice session with some 25 yard group shooting    :) 

This is along with box drills after you get back in the swing of things.  Everything else can be polished in dryfire.