Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pull Weight

Kevin,

I think I remember that gun - it gave everyone (at the shop) fits.

Dave,

If you don't have perfect contact when you check it as TT recommended - that's where the magic comes in. The only way to correct the fit at that point is to stone it by hand. You have to apply a little extra presssure and "slant" to the side that has the most contact. This take a lot of practice - in the beginning you'll trash a lot of parts.

be

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

As a carry over to a discussion in another thread, do you think a 2.5 lb pull on a 1911 is safe for a new shooter to learn and manage?  Or should he shoot the first 5000 rounds with the out of the box pull B4 they have a good trigger job on the pistol.

What is the pull on your favorite Blaster?  My IDPA competition Commander lets go at 29oz.  My carry gun at the same weight since they are the same pistol.  No I do not recommend that for everyone, but I am curious as to what the pull on the other forum members pistols are. There is a bet of a big ice tea riding on the response, so vote early and often, and to help my cause, it has to be under 4lbs.

My Berettas break at 7lbs DA, and between 2.5 to 3.5 SA, depending on mainspring age and round count.

My caspian open gun breaks at 2lbs even.

I think a good trigger saves a new shooter a lot of time in learning trigger control, less gun movement.

AND... there is no trigger weight heavy enough for someone who presses it unintentionally. It's gonna go bang.

If you're coaching a newbie, I say start with the good trigger.

BTW, it's interesting how as we get better, these things matter less. I've got two .22s that have 4 lb triggers and I shoot 'em just as well as the 2 pounders. Trigger control is trigger control.

SA

STI: well under 2 lbs for limited

G35 Limited, 3.5 lb connector, but with other parts, I'd guess it is about 3 or so.

Carry guns, G27, G23, G22 all have 5 lb connectors and reduced power striker springs, making them about 4 pounds.  I left the 5 lb connectors to keep lawyers at bay, and given that  they feel less mushy than the 3.5, it is a wash anyway.

A good trigger is a key to learning quickly.  My kids' .22 rifle has a 3 lb trigger that has NO CREEP at all, and they seem to do well with it.  I think 3 pounds is the best figure, assuming were talking supervised instruction and range time.  For the new-BE trying to go it alone, I'm saying 5 crisp pounds is good.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Kimber  L10  2.25 lbs.

I'm with Tightloop and Steve on this one.  A clean light trigger pull is easier for a coached newbe then a heavy one.  It gives them one less thing to worry about.  Trigger control and sight alignment is tough enough with out having a 5+ pound trigger in the equation.

I like my 1911 at or below 2.75.  My BHP is 2.75.  My AR15 is 2.75.

Reducing the stock Bushmaster with a JP down to 2.75 really improved my scoring.

I shot significantly better with my 1911 after the trigger job.  Mega percentage points!!!

I would recommend reducing the trigger pull on a competition gun.  I am pretty new at the sport and it mad a big difference to me.

My Benelli is stock-whatever that maybe 9 to 100 pounds (yeah I forget to push the safety off)  I never really noticed the trigger pull when shooting shotguns.

I have a 22 oz trigger on my limited gun.  I really like the feel of it, but lately I think I have been using it as a crutch.  When I let other people shoot it who are not used to such a light trigger, their groups usually improve dramatically over their own guns.  But, I have yet to realize the advantage of the pull fully.  At 50 yards, I cannot consistantly shoot A-zone groups slowfire freestyle.  At 25 I am barely all in the A-zone.  When I let a GM shoot it, he shot a beautiful 2" group at 25 yards.  I feel that I haven't been developing my trigger control to the proper degree since I can "hit" the target.  So, despite my ramblings I think that a light trigger is fine for safety.  However, I think it can stifle the devolpment of some people, myself included.  

"However, I think it can stifle the devolpment of some people, myself included."

I definetely agree with that. If you learn to shoot with a little heavier trigger, you will improve faster especially trigger control. If you go from a heavy to a light trigger you will usually see a dramatic difference very quickly. On the other end though, going from a light to a heavy trigger really shows you if your trigger control is up to par.

Looks like I am the odd man out again. My custom 38 has a DA pull around 8lbs and my 2 S&W 44's are around 12lb DA. After them the 4lb pull on my 1911 seems much lighter. IMHO the DA revolver is the best training for trigger control for any beginner.

As an old PPC shooter, I am with George. If you can shoot a double action revolver well, making the transition to a single action is pretty easy.

My Open blaster has a 1.5 pound trigger pull and I just love it. My IDPA single stack is right at 2 3/4 pounds.

Last summer I shot the pistol that Avery won the L10 Nationals with. I was really suprised. The trigger is absolutely crisp and free of take up and overtravel. Interestingly enough, it is between 3 and 3.5 pounds. I would have thought it would be lighter.

I go by how much you shoot or dry fire.

If you only handle the gun once in awhile...better stick above 3#

If you handle it once every couple of weeks, 2.5 - 3#

Once a week 2.0 - 2.5 Lbs

Every day...look at going below 2.0#

Any lower...you had better be a M or better and pretty much sleep with the gun.

I like mine around 1#

Pat

Open STI- 1 & 7/8

Limited SV- 2 & 1/8

Production Sig - Tooooooo much on DA

My .22's, AR-15, and 1100 all have light crisp triggers and for me as an experienced shooter are necessary. I would not start someone on a sub 2 lb trigger but would switch them after they are safe.