Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 recoil spring weight with Optic?

reverse_edge

Put a dovetail mounted DPP on my shadow 2 to play around and I'm finding that the dot dips pretty low when the slide returns to battery.

There's a 10# spring in there now. I've heard that dots require heavier springs, but in my mind that would make the dot dip harder as there's more force returning the slide.

Is there much I can do, or am I just dealing with a heavy slide with a heavy dot/mount? 

I'm running a 10# in my CZC Shadow 75, milled slide, with a DPP, and my 130PF loads.  Works great.  I've tried a few heavier, and come back to the 10.

Edited by GregJ

3 hours ago, reverse_edge said:

124gr making about 130pf 

Hmm, I’m shooting the same ammo albeit without the optic and I don’t notice any muzzle dips at all.  I’m also using 10# CGW recoil spring with the stock buffer.

53 minutes ago, George16 said:

Hmm, I’m shooting the same ammo albeit without the optic and I don’t notice any muzzle dips at all.  I’m also using 10# CGW recoil spring with the stock buffer.

Right. Gun runs fine with irons. But I also just added a whole bunch of weight to the slide... 

This is my first time playing around with a slide mounted red dot, and figured someone who's been down this road might have some input. 

32 minutes ago, Red_Dot said:

I think the dot really just emphasizes what the slide is normally doing, it just doesn’t look as obvious with irons.

Just my .02

I had considered that.... But... 

With the addition of a considerable amount of mass to an already hefty slide, I'd have a hard time believing it's behaving the exact same as it would with the irons. I think if there's a tiny bit of dip with irons, the weight of the dot's gonna make it worse to some degree, even if it visually LOOKS way worse than it is. 

After switching back and forth with dot and irons, I really don't see the irons dipping as much. But again, I don't have a ton of experience with a RDS on a pistol. 

I'll have to play with springs. I've got some old ones I can make lighter than 10, and I've got some heavier as well. 

weigh a stock shadow 2 uppper complete. weigh your complete carry optics upper. in my case my co upper is lighter than my regular upper. so if i want what feels the same cyclic rate then i've gone lower in poundage compared to a regular upper and felt fine.

thoooouuuggghhhh to be honest, I think what I see at the sights is far more effected by my grip and wrist tension than whether I have a 9, 10 or 11 lb recoil spring.

18 hours ago, rowdyb said:

weigh a stock shadow 2 uppper complete. weigh your complete carry optics upper. in my case my co upper is lighter than my regular upper. so if i want what feels the same cyclic rate then i've gone lower in poundage compared to a regular upper and felt fine.

thoooouuuggghhhh to be honest, I think what I see at the sights is far more effected by my grip and wrist tension than whether I have a 9, 10 or 11 lb recoil spring.

This isn't a CO legal setup. It's just a normal s2 slide with a dovetail mounted DPP. So, it's definitely heavier.

I'm already using a pretty worn in 10lb spring. Short of buying an 8lb from Wolff - I'm thinking the dovetail mounted DPP is just too heavy to get ideal results.

And yes, I realize that the shooter (me) is a variable as well. While I haven't spent a ton of time behind the dot, I can notice a huge difference when shooting one vs. the other back to back. I'd like to think my grip is consistent enough from one minute to the next, but obviously there's margin for error there as well.

You could try a 9 but I’m not sure the dot would hold up. Like rowdy said proper grip and tension play a huge role. I recently made the switch to co from production and notice the dot bouncing around way more than  i noticed the fiber did. For me I have to time the dot more than irons 

On 7/20/2018 at 1:49 PM, rowdyb said:

This. I played with various recoil springs lately and came to  the same conclusion. I went back to 11#.

Edited by cheby

I came here looking for answers to the same issue. The dot dips and returns as opposes rises and returns. Im not sure if this is the norm for a slide ride dot. #11 recoil spring.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, longbeard said:

I came here looking for answers to the same issue. The dot dips and returns as opposes rises and returns. Im not sure if this is the norm for a slide ride dot. #11 recoil spring.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

After shooting it some more, and having some experienced CO shooters play with the setup, I guess the dip isn't as bad as I thought It was. It's there, but i'm being told it's really not that bad for what it is. 

I dont know if your slide is cut/lightened, but I suspect that might help a bit, over the dovetail mounted optic.

9 hours ago, reverse_edge said:

After shooting it some more, and having some experienced CO shooters play with the setup, I guess the dip isn't as bad as I thought It was. It's there, but i'm being told it's really not that bad for what it is. 

I dont know if your slide is cut/lightened, but I suspect that might help a bit, over the dovetail mounted optic.

No.  It's not lightened, and it has a fairly heavy dot on it with the Vortex Razor.  I'm sure I could shave an ounce or more by changing dots.

I was more curious if it was the norm that the dot dips and rises. I'm so used to seeing more of the rise and fall of irons or my AR9 dot.  Sounds like it is, and the the tuning has to due with lightening the mass.