Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Torque and carry optics

B_RAD

Got what I feel like is a dumb question but I'm gonna ask.  For those of y'all mounting optics are y'all using torque wrenches to feel the amount of inch pounds per the instructions?

I don't have one and feel the cheapy ones from harbor freight aren't going to be accurate enough. 

The instructions say to get 25 in lbs but that's like 2 ft lbs and I've already tightened the screws to where I feel is the max before they'd start to strip. 

I'm guessing most are doing it by feel as well. 

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

I did not use a torque wrench, blue loctite on the screws and just tightened them down normally.

That's what I did. Gonna watch it for the first couple of outings. 

Thanks. 

Yes.  As a matter of fact I just put my DPP back on and locked it down at 25 in/lbs, after waiting almost 2 weeks for replacement screws from Leupold.  I had one scew break in half, noticed it first day, first drill, at a recent Vogel class.   Arrgh 

I am a believer in torque wrenches, use them a lot now and in previous lives.  I got one from Midway, wasnt too expensive.  If there is a Cabela's or Bass Pro near you, they might have one too. 

16 minutes ago, GregJ said:

Yes.  As a matter of fact I just put my DPP back on and locked it down at 25 in/lbs, after waiting almost 2 weeks for replacement screws from Leupold.  I had one scew break in half, noticed it first day, first drill, at a recent Vogel class.   Arrgh 

I am a believer in torque wrenches, use them a lot now and in previous lives.  I got one from Midway, wasnt too expensive.  If there is a Cabela's or Bass Pro near you, they might have one too. 

Why/how did the first ones break?

19 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Why/how did the first ones break?

No clue. Must have been due to stress. One of the screws snapped in half.  I've had it over a year now I guess, and have put a lot of rounds down range.  Will  look at my gun's log and get a better idea of round count.  I had Leupold send me some extras, and I bought more from the link below - great guy to deal with.  I know you can find M4 screws at most h/w stores, but they do not have the same shape, and I didnt want to risk cracking the case, etc.  

I now intend to replace the screws each winter - just in case.

http://www.battlewerx.com/leupold-deltapoint-pro-factory-mounting-screws-pair-black-mos-compatible/

I torque my #6 to 16in/lbs.

And use blue loctite.

Torque for repeatablility (dumb Viper battery) and because many tiny fasteners have died at my hands. So far hasn't come loose.

Have a very nice Mac torque screwdriver.