Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety on for emergency reload

Astocks2622

I've been dry firing and practicing speed reloads a bunch lately, and was reading some articles on both, and ran across some info suggesting safety on (for single action semi autos) during all reloads.

I have never turned my safety on (Stock 1) during a speed reload, and can't think of a good reason to.

If I'm doing a tactical/adminstrative reload with a round in the chamber, I flick safety on, as I'm only doing that if there is no immediate threat and I'm off target.

But in an emergency/speed reload situation, my gun has either just gone "click" or is locked back empty. My thoughts are on strip mag, draw new, insert, rack, and back on target to reassess threat, then, and only then, safety on, low ready if threat eliminated. With the Stock 1, you can't rack the slide with the safety on and hammer down, as it locks the hammer. Is there any good reason to add mid reload safety manipulation to my reload practice regimen?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I've never heard of an administrative reload. I've heard of a tactical reload, but have no idea what it is. A reload is a reload right? Hit button while grabbing new mag quickly, insert said mag into gun, reacquire sight picture. Adding additional steps will take more time. I've never shot idpa or tactical classes, so that may explain my ignorance on terminology

In IDPA (and real world tactical situations) you sometimes must keep the old magazine with you.

As I understand it, IDPA requires you to keep the old magazine, unless you went empty before the reload.

No need to flick the safety on. Your index finger is your safety.

Thanks, those were my thoughts, and I couldn't think of any good reason to add complexity...
An administrative reload and a tactical reload are the same thing, in my understanding. All it means is that you have fired your weapon, and that you want to "top it off" with a fresh mag to be ready in case a new threat appears. This is only done if the immediate threat appears over, and you usually hang on to the partial mag instead of just stripping it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

If this is a competition, you know you are going to be shooting again, so no reason to put a safety back on.  If you are in a "real world situation" (because IDPA and real world are not at all the same thing), your safety should go on after you have assessed.  I would not put my safety in the situation you just described until in the middle of weapon manipulations.

• 1 month later...

This is more for 1911 or 2011. My mentor modified his thumb safety to activate as soon as he takes his thumb off of it. Due to the larger grip, he has to flip the gun in his hand to hit the magazine release. This has caused his finger to bump the hair trigger and have an ND during a reload. It’s not a bad idea for someone that this has happened to. Doesn’t change anything with the gun except the safety has to be held down. 

On 7/23/2018 at 9:39 AM, Blackstone45 said:

I thought an administrative reload was something taught in police circles where you change the magazine while the gun is holstered

i believe you're correct...