Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dot size

tswisher21

I wear prescription glasses, more specifically progressives. For USPSA I figured that I would go to a DPP 7.5 with the though process it would give me faster target acquisition, but it actually just made me rush the shot and shoot faster .. leading me to miss even faster! I since switched to a DPP 2.5 and even though at times it takes me a little longer (not talking a long time, but definitely longer than the 7.5) but it's a more honest site picture. 

I still shoot steel challenge with a 7.5, but I will be swapping that out as well for a 2.5

Now granted some dry-fire time would alleviate all that, over all the smaller dot for me was the right choice. 

2 hours ago, schaet said:

I wear prescription glasses, more specifically progressives. For USPSA I figured that I would go to a DPP 7.5 with the though process it would give me faster target acquisition, but it actually just made me rush the shot and shoot faster .. leading me to miss even faster! I since switched to a DPP 2.5 and even though at times it takes me a little longer (not talking a long time, but definitely longer than the 7.5) but it's a more honest site picture. 

I still shoot steel challenge with a 7.5, but I will be swapping that out as well for a 2.5

Now granted some dry-fire time would alleviate all that, over all the smaller dot for me was the right choice. 

Have you tried shooting without your prescription glasses when using your DPP? Reason I ask is for me, it messes up my sight picture when I’m wearing my prescription glasses. However, when I’m wearing my regular non-prescription/nonmagnified oakleys, my sight picture is better and results in faster target acquisition.

Hi George16,

I haven't tried that. My lenses are essentially bifocals, I would have a hard time, (I'm actually assuming because I haven't tried it), focusing in on the dot without them. Maybe I should give it a try. 

I have a pair of Wiley X  glasses with my prescription and my eyes are well adjusted to them. Before them I tried the glasses where they are two separate pieces; the prescription is a smaller frame insert and the shades are  interchangeable. (sorry I can't remember the name), and my eyes bugged out. It was like being in a fish bowl. 

I'll definitely give that a try though. It will be a lot cheaper for me when it comes to buy new ones! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like a small dot, but it also depends on the brightness level. The 2.5 moa on the DPP sounds small,  because of its brightness though it is very easy to see and pick up even in bright sunlight. I like it better than the 6 moa in my RTS2.