Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aggresive grips for RIA pro match?

AndyG

Hey all. I've been looking around for some really aggressive grips for a RIA pro match. I'd like them to be thin, would be nice if they are metal but not a huge deal if they arnt. I'm still fairly new to the 19/2011s .The gun has a Taylor Freelance magwell. Long story short I dont want to buy a set and they not fit or not be aggressive enough, Just looking for suggestions. as always thanks in advance! 

Kind Regards,

Andy

I have these on my 1911. To be honest though, I am not sure if they will fit the RIA or not. I looked, and it looks like it uses regular 1911 grips. These grips are very aggressive. I even smoothed a little part out a bit due to it being so aggressive when shooting. 

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/vz-recons1

Edited by anbrumm

Ditto on dogtired, you can sand the grips thin and then cover with skateboard tape, I've seen this with a lot of the older shooters. There is not a lot for the Pro Match out there, maybe Para stuff. I have been shooting a Pro Match for 5 years, you are pretty much on your own. Best thing to happen to the RIA was MBX, they actually work without a hammer.

I don't think those vz's will fit, the RIA grip is completely different. I took my grips off and use Talon rubberized grip tape(cut from a sheet), without the grip panels it fits my hands better. I'm sure you could do that with the sandpaper tape, or try to stipple the grips.

Edited by Talon75

I run the tech well grip they work great and the gun stays in place. 
https://techwearusa.com/techwell/grips/aluminum-inlaid-tape-grips.html
You're using those on a wide body 1911 from Rock Island or Para?

The website says "Fits full-size Government Model and Commander pistols" which means they wouldn't have the "ears" necessary to cover the area that exposes the trigger bow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, dogtired said:

For clarity, this is what I meant:  You can take the grips off completely and wrap the frame in grip tape.  

Is there a specific grip tape you recommend that holds adhesive well and wont rip with a death grip?

Skateboard tape comes in several levels of coarseness. I picked up some scraps from a local skateboard store (i.e.free). The adhesive holds well when placed on a clean surface as it is designed to stick to skateboards through thick and thin. When I stuck them onto my CZ TS grips, I did place them under some heavy pressure over nigh at the grips are curved at the edges and I wanted to ensure the corners would not come up. Tape has lasted for a whole year without an ugliness of peeling. The skateboard tape is wonderfully aggressive but you should change it out once a year as it does get clogged with dead skin.

Doubt it. Looks like I'm just going to sand em smooth and silicon carbide them,or have someone local do it after I get new ambis fit. 

Edited by AndyG