Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aimpoint’s new acro looks interesting

sheepdog566

There are significant speculations about physical dimensions of this unit. It is already on Aimpoint website and if the specs are correct, its visual aperture is prohibitively small for any kind of action shooting. However, people keep talking that the specs on AP's site are incorrect. Remains to be seen.

Specs of the Aimpoint ACRO:

• Battery: 3V lithium battery, CR1225
  • Battery life: Day time, > 1 year of continuous use at position 6
  • Window aperture: 0.63 × 0.63 in
  • Length: 1.9 inches
  • Width: 1.2 inches
  • Height: 1.2 inches
  • Weight: 2.1 ounces (w/battery)
  • Housing: Anodized Aluminum
  • Windage/Elevation Adjustment: 1 click = .6 in at 100 yards
  • Adjustment Range: ±1 yards at 100 yards in windage and elevation
  • Mount: Integrated keyed surface mount
  • Temperature range (operation): -49°F to 160°F
  • Temperature range (storage): -60°F to 160°F

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/official-details-on-aimpoints-new-acro-p-1-sight-138156.html#ixzz5IMar26iq

I'd like to see a straight-on photo that shows how much the frame obstructs the view.  I love that it has a 3.5moa dot rather than a 2moa, and I hope that even larger dots will be introduced in this "family."  Overall, it does appear a bit small which I suppose could be problematic for pistol use, but I'd love to test drive this on my PCC and carbine.

1 hour ago, SilverBolt said:

Looks interesting.  Nearly double the weight of an RTS2.

If you look at the photo of the front, on the other side of the protective front lens, it basically just looks like a standard RDS like a Fastfire 2 or RMR but with a protective case around it. So it makes sense that it weighs twice as much because half of the weight would be in the hardened case. 

200504_Aimpoint_Acro_P-1_2_RF_1600x1180px_150dpi.png

Edited by jkrispies

9 hours ago, CharlieD said:

Picatinny mount?  Very odd.  

It’s pretty clear to me that the engineers intended this to be their next mini for rifles, and the marketing folks / bean counters decided that they needed to shoehorn Aimpoint into the pistol market.  “Hey guys, it’s small, right?  Let’s pivot this thing!  It’ll be great— trust me!!!”. This looks like a promising piece of equipment but I suspect the end users and mount manufacturers will determine its place in the market more than Aimpoint’s advertising department.  I did see a ohoto through the front lens and wasn’t impressed by the thickness of the frame, but it could have been a bad photo.  I’m hoping they’ll announce some sort of a gee-whiz feature like the RMR’s auto-adjustment mode to set it apart from the pack, but at this point I’m not getting wowwed over.  It better have a low price point at least. Right now it’s just an uglier T-2 with a harder to find battery. Hope I’m wrong. We’ll see. 

Edited by jkrispies