Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob seeking help for 3-gun

Schmadam

alright guys, after looking at everyones input and looking at the specs of all different belts, Im guna go with the ELS system.  it seems like the best fit for me.  I really like that you can make everything pretty much a quick detach.  

Thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it.  Hope to hear from you all again when i post up more nooby questions.

Quick detach/attachment is very helpful. Different stages may have you laying, crouching, crawling, climbing, etc, etc. And you will want to be able to move your stuff around and not have to completely unstack everything off the belt. Also if it's a single gun stage, you can ditch all the extra stuff you won't need for that run. You will most likely buy a bunch of different stuff and have a big old pile of stuff you like for different reasons. Good luck and go watch/shoot some matches and see what people are using

im definitely going to try to get out to a few matches before i even sign up for one.  just to see what other guys are using and to see how their hands on experience with it all is.  I know theres a match coming up soon down here in SoFlo, and ill hopefully get to that one.

20 minutes ago, mikek2111987 said:

Do you run an under belt?

Yes, all of these systems still use a loop-covered underbelt.

If you already have an ELS belt setup, I kinda see the point in just adding the CA ratchet.

But, if just starting out, why wouldn't you go with the complete CA belt system? Its lighter and thinner than the ELS belt, and the holes are spaced better(closer together) to be able to put stuff exactly where you want it. And, while the CA belt perfectly accommodates ELS receivers, it ALSO accommodates other stuff with different hole spacing so you're not locked into ELS attachments only; think holster hangers and other potential stuff that isn't from Safariland.

Edited by wgj3

4 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

If you already have an ELS belt setup, I kinda see the point in just adding the CA ratchet.

But, if just starting out, why wouldn't you go with the complete CA belt system? Its lighter and thinner than the ELS belt, and the holes are spaced better(closer together) to be able to put stuff exactly where you want it. And, while the CA belt perfectly accommodates ELS receivers, it ALSO accommodates other stuff with different hole spacing so you're not locked into ELS attachments only; think holster hangers and other potential stuff that isn't from Safariland.

I have a lot of Tek lok and I couldn't find out if the CA belt was able to work with that. That's really the only reason, the CA website and pictures of the belt are s#!t too

1 minute ago, mikek2111987 said:

I have a lot of Tek lok and I couldn't find out if the CA belt was able to work with that. That's really the only reason, the CA website and pictures of the belt are s#!t too

Agree that the website isnt the best, but the product is 100% legit.

Tekloks are kind of "old news" with these newer belt systems, but the teklok is fantastically adjustable as I can run them securely on my 1.75" belt or something a good bit narrower or even wider by adjusting the spacer inside the teklok.

The point of these new systems with all the holes is to be able to mount your receivers (whether ELS, TMMS, or other) to the belt and leave them there. Then you mount all the pouches and shell caddies and such on the corresponding opposite clips/inserts/forks. Then it's simple to add, remove, relocate all the stuff as needed for a given stage by just popping it into or out of the receivers.

9 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

Agree that the website isnt the best, but the product is 100% legit.

Tekloks are kind of "old news" with these newer belt systems, but the teklok is fantastically adjustable as I can run them securely on my 1.75" belt or something a good bit narrower or even wider by adjusting the spacer inside the teklok.

The point of these new systems with all the holes is to be able to mount your receivers (whether ELS, TMMS, or other) to the belt and leave them there. Then you mount all the pouches and shell caddies and such on the corresponding opposite clips/inserts/forks. Then it's simple to add, remove, relocate all the stuff as needed for a given stage by just popping it into or out of the receivers.

It does sound like a sweet setup. Can you confirm or deny if it is tek Lok compatible? I love being able to slide around or loan out my shell carriers if need be. I sent carbon arms and email a few days ago and have yet to hear back. Slightly disconcerning about putting an order in

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 8:32 AM, wgj3 said:

Noob ELS user here and actually just finished setting up a new ELS system.

This may be a dumb question but in the few times I have put on the gear it feels likes the underbelt dictates the size (diameter, where the spikes hold the belt) so I am not sure how the ratchet would work.  Are you only ratcheting 1-2 clicks to snug up the system?  It seems like if you attached the outer belt to the inner belt and then ratcheted several clicks you would be folding under/over the inner belt correct?

People seem to like the ratchet system so I am guessing I am missing something on setup and getting is just right.

41 minutes ago, Seif26 said:

This may be a dumb question but in the few times I have put on the gear it feels likes the underbelt dictates the size (diameter, where the spikes hold the belt) so I am not sure how the ratchet would work.  Are you only ratcheting 1-2 clicks to snug up the system?  It seems like if you attached the outer belt to the inner belt and then ratcheted several clicks you would be folding under/over the inner belt correct?

People seem to like the ratchet system so I am guessing I am missing something on setup and getting is just right.

I believe he cut off the spikes and relies on the Velcro and ratchet to hold tight. 

I found that having the under belt with the ratchet system didnt work for me.  when I would try to cinch it up with under belt, the under belt would start to fold up.  now i just go without one and I have not had any problems with it falling down or moving during a match.  The els belt stays put and holds better that when i had the under belt and no ratchet strap.  

On 6/26/2018 at 6:25 AM, Seif26 said:

If you get the under belt fairly snug before adding the outer, it's not a problem.

The big win is not having to worry about the outer belt coming loose with the ratchet locking it closed.

I'm sure that you could fold the inner belt over if you keep ratcheting the outer closed, but that just means you didn't properly secure(tighten) the inner in the first place...

• 2 weeks later...

Safariland ELS seems to be the standard for 3 Gun personally I like a lot of other belts better however if you are going to shoot 3 Gun being able to setup your belt per stage the system wins hands down 

As previously mentioned, Safariland ELS is the way to go for 3gun.  It allows the most versatility for setup.  I can carry all shotgun on my belt, pistol mags, rifle mags, pistol/no pistol and any combination needed for the stage.

I just use my uspsa rig and put a rifle mag pouch on it if needed... and add shoot gun caddies of shotgun mags to it.

i had a safariland 014 once... I sold it and said I’d never buy anything of theirs again. That holster was dog s#!t. 

• 1 month later...

I use a double alpha belt with double alpha racer mags for pistol and ar with their new qd system which is good for pistol heavy stages where i can change the ar mag for a pistol one in seconds.

I also burned in a safariland els for my shotgun caddie so it would mount up solid and can also come on and off with ease.

Edited by MrPan

I would argue Completly against the ELS system, while I do love the safariland holsters, the ELS is just screwing your gear so it can't be adjusted. 

Any normal competition belt and the Bladetech Tel-Loks.

The tek Loks are just as easy to take off your belt, they have adjustment for smaller belts, and they are dang cheaper. The main reason is you can move your holders as you wish, you aren't limited by screwing your holders in spots on your belt.

4 hours ago, Timmeh said:

I would argue Completly against the ELS system, while I do love the safariland holsters, the ELS is just screwing your gear so it can't be adjusted. 

Any normal competition belt and the Bladetech Tel-Loks.

The tek Loks are just as easy to take off your belt, they have adjustment for smaller belts, and they are dang cheaper. The main reason is you can move your holders as you wish, you aren't limited by screwing your holders in spots on your belt.

I agree.  I've considered switching over to els, but I have very little real estate to work with, so tek loks allow me to move things around better than els would.  Unfortunately most guys are running els, which makes it difficult to swap gear.  

17 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

I agree.  I've considered switching over to els, but I have very little real estate to work with, so tek loks allow me to move things around better than els would.  Unfortunately most guys are running els, which makes it difficult to swap gear.  

Very true! Both are great options, because they both sell! It's like PC vs. Mac ? both get the job done better than a calculator/leather belt!