Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Magwells

Weapon

I have an original Canadian Para Ordnance P16 that I sometimes shoot in Limited. I decided to build it up a little to make it better suited to the task but I’ve hit a bit of a wall trying to find a magwell that does not require cutting the frame and welding.

Dawson magwell for the Para has been discontinued.

Brownells lists the S&A magwell for the Para as discontinued.

I looked at the Taylor Freelance RIA magwell but TF advised me it doesn’t fit  Para USA pistols and they weren’t sure if it fit the Canadian Paras. Has anyone tried the TF RIA magwell on an older Canadian Para? Or is there another option for a P16 magwell?

Dude I *MIGHT* have the original Dawson aluminum (non-insert style) magwell from my TJ (SX1640J). I'll take a look in the shop and see. If so, it's yours for postage.

CDC

If you have it, that’d be great - not having a magwell bites.

Running a P16 gets harder every week. Everyone seems to be dropping their aftermarket parts for it and finding mags that actually work is getting ridiculous. 

I like this older style para magwell,it seems to force my hand higher on the pistol for a better grip. I have a ice magwell on my para,but I might order one of these older ones just to have. I have 2 P16's, so I'm always looking for spare Para specific parts to buy. 

You can find ACT mags, original Canadian mags, MBX 140's for Para, SPS mags, new Remington mags for 9mm. No, the Mec Gar mags and TF basepads will not work, nor on Canadian mags in a magwell.  Base pads are an issue for sure.  You can find Para plastic plus two's that will work, look at the used boards for Dawson's.  I am sure Dawson would do a limited run it there were an order large enough but that would require someone to spearhead it.

You can also have your gun fitted to take STI mags too.

I tracked down one of the ACT mags for the RIA double stack 40/10. It came in a couple days ago and those are extremely close to the original Canadian mags I have. I looked at the MBX mags previously but...$130 a mag. I may still get a couple of them at some point.

Still waiting on the Dawson magwell (or “Dawsom” magazine well as GPC has it listed...no wonder I couldn’t find it with search).

I'm sure you thought I was yankin' your chain, but I had time to dig through old gun parts in my shop today, and I found it!

It's rough looking on the bottom, where it's been ground on a time or two to remove dings from bungled reloads, but if you want to pay for mailing it to ya, it's yours. It included the required wider-than-stock basepin as well. It looks better in person than in the pics.

20180528_162339.jpg

20180528_162343.jpg

I have 2 p16s that will be going to limited nationals this year.

I have mbx 141mm mags and they run great as I used them this past weekend right out of the box in a sectional match and not one issue all day!!
people do sell the factory mags with dawson +4 base pads but I'm not paying more than $40/mag and I had someone quote me $100/dawson mag on here [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was in the same situation when I got my P16's last year. I ended up getting the small Para magwells from Cheely. They fit great with no trimming required and I like them a lot. Note that the magwells  are not on his website but contact them about instructions on how to order them . It was pretty simple really.

On 5/28/2018 at 4:43 PM, Anopsis said:

I'm sure you thought I was yankin' your chain, but I had time to dig through old gun parts in my shop today, and I found it!

It's rough looking on the bottom, where it's been ground on a time or two to remove dings from bungled reloads, but if you want to pay for mailing it to ya, it's yours. It included the required wider-than-stock basepin as well. It looks better in person than in the pics.

20180528_162339.jpg

20180528_162343.jpg

That’ll work. I have files, a blast cabinet and cerakote. :)

How can i get funds to cover shipping to you? My zip is 72401. 

On 5/29/2018 at 9:57 AM, Rnlinebacker said:

I have 2 p16s that will be going to limited nationals this year.

I have mbx 141mm mags and they run great as I used them this past weekend right out of the box in a sectional match and not one issue all day!!
people do sell the factory mags with dawson +4 base pads but I'm not paying more than $40/mag and I had someone quote me $100/dawson mag on here emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Yeah - $100 for a factory mag with a Dawson mag extension? It would be crazy to do that instead of just dropping the extra $30 for the MBX mag. A factory mag with a Dawson works but it isn’t anything like an MBX. A lot of guys at local matches  run those and their build quality impresses me every time I pick one up. As soon as I get some of the other gun projects off my bench, I am going to get a couple of those mags for the first grab slots on my P16 belt. 

Yeah - $100 for a factory mag with a Dawson mag extension? It would be crazy to do that instead of just dropping the extra $30 for the MBX mag. A factory mag with a Dawson works but it isn’t anything like an MBX. A lot of guys at local matches  run those and their build quality impresses me every time I pick one up. As soon as I get some of the other gun projects off my bench, I am going to get a couple of those mags for the first grab slots on my P16 belt. 
you won't regret that. However, I make sure the mbx is my last reload of every stage because I ain't letting that beauty hit the ground ??

• 2 years later...

I hate resurrecting a two plus year old thread BUT...... I have older Para P14 45 which I would like to add a magwell to. Does anyone know where I can purchase one. Everyplace I look has been out of stock.

11 hours ago, matteekay said:

EGW has their version in stock; I bought one a few weeks ago (before I decided to part with my Para). The only downside is it doesn't wrap around the front of the grip.

Do you have pictures on how this looks?

On 10/11/2020 at 9:17 PM, 00MGN said:

I hate resurrecting a two plus year old thread BUT...... I have older Para P14 45 which I would like to add a magwell to. Does anyone know where I can purchase one. Everyplace I look has been out of stock.

I have one as well, EGW built.  I finally sort of retired it when I couldn't  find mags.  Still the most accurate gun in my safe.  😉. Mine has the weld on magwell so I'm no help...  IF you can find them, the Grams base pad and follower WORKED GREAT. 😉 

Edited by Chutist

• 1 month later...