Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow2 magazines??

Tattoo

I decided to buy a Shadow 2 and was wanted to pick up a few extra magazines.  What is the factory mag that comes with it?  I found 18rd “SP-01” mags but the S2 magazines are listed as 17 rounds??  Anyone have a link to the best deal or explain what mag I want?  Thanks 

T

25 minutes ago, Tattoo said:

Thanks for the links.  So do the factory S2 mags hold 17rds due to a +1 base pad?  And the 18 round factory mags I am seeing as just +2 base pads???  

T

The stock S2 mags hold 17 only. It becomes +1 when you rack up the slide to chamber a round and then put another round into the mag. The SP01 18 rd mags are 18 round tubes. 

The 19 rd mecgar mags are 17 round tube with a +2 base pad.

2 hours ago, George16 said:

The stock S2 mags hold 17 only. It becomes +1 when you rack up the slide to chamber a round and then put another round into the mag. The SP01 18 rd mags are 18 round tubes. 

The 19 rd mecgar mags are 17 round tube with a +2 base pad.

So are the SP-01 18rd mags compatible with the S2?

Are the mecgar mags actually reliable 100%??

T

I wouldn't get the SP-01 18rd mags, my friend and I both had the base pads slip off during a reload. His was during a match, min was practice. Looked it up, and it's a common problem.

Since then I switch to the MecGar 17rd AFC mags, which are the same as the factory Shadow 2 mags. The 19rd mags that come with some of the Shadow 2's are 17rd nickel plated with a +2 pads

The +2 pads on the 17rd mags won't fit in the production box.

Any CZ75 mag will work in the Shadow 2.  I like the Mec-Gar 17 rounders.  If you're shooting USPSA i'm told the Mec-Gar 19 rounders will not fit in the box... 

Edited by uewpew

On 5/19/2018 at 2:22 PM, Quack said:

I wouldn't get the SP-01 18rd mags, my friend and I both had the base pads slip off during a reload. His was during a match, min was practice. Looked it up, and it's a common problem.

Since then I switch to the MecGar 17rd AFC mags, which are the same as the factory Shadow 2 mags. The 19rd mags that come with some of the Shadow 2's are 17rd nickel plated with a +2 pads

The +2 pads on the 17rd mags won't fit in the production box.

That’s News to me. Not arguing but I’ve never had it happen in 4  years of running an S1 with factory 18rounders so I never looked it up. Could it be something with the S2s?

How about that? Interesting. I wonder if it was a particular batch. By no means am I an expert but this is the First I’m hearing of this. I’ll look around. 
Not a particular batch, as my gun was a few years older than my friends.

I found out about the issue when I searched this forum. To prevent it, you can add extra power mag springs.

MecGar mags are the same as what ships with the 2, either the 17s with +2 pads or 17s, or in places like Canada, 10 round. Factory CZ 18 round mags are totally different, longer tube, different baseplate. The MecGar mags with +2 MecGar baseplates will not fit the Production box. The baseplate is too big. There are other pads that will fit though.

15 hours ago, Quack said:

Not a particular batch, as my gun was a few years older than my friends.

I found out about the issue when I searched this forum. To prevent it, you can add extra power mag springs.

Good to know. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Meathead4343 said:

I just got a Magwell for my shadow 2 but none of my mags will seat all the way in. I got a wiff of something about the SP01 mags working.  Can anyone confirm that? I’ve tried a few different style of base plates and none of them will seat all the way in. 

Yes the factory 18 round SP-01 mags are what you need in order to use a magwell, the SP-01 magazine body is longer than the 19 round mecgar mags that come standard with the S2.

• 7 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, mveto said:

Yes the factory 18 round SP-01 mags are what you need in order to use a magwell, the SP-01 magazine body is longer than the 19 round mecgar mags that come standard with the S2.

Same problem when I attached a mag well to my Shadow-2.  The magazines won't seat.  So are the mags above the same as the CZ 11152 magazines? So the mec-gar 19 rnd mags wont work either? What baseplate extensions can I use and attach to these magazines to make the 140 mm USPSA LTD rule?