Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Ten Drills

harley45

My local uspsa/idpa club is getting an influx of new members. Some of us computer savy guys have decided to make a practice drill video we can give to the new shooters when they join nothing real fancy just ten or so practice drills so the new guys can get some idea of what is going on.

So far we have agreed on the following drills and I just wanted to get some input from the folks here

1. Bill Drill

2. Devils Triangle

3. 2 body and one to the head

4. tripple six

5. el prez.

I'm looking for suggestions especially for a barricade drill.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Eric

Depending on the level of shooters, you may want to drop down to the simpler level of "Draw, shoot two on two targets, now do it again from Surrender". Add in a reload and some movement a the drills progress. I'm not sure that a new shooter practicing Devils Triangle, for example, would gain anything useful from it, especially at the usual range.

Breaking new shooters in on everything you can't do at the typical one-target-no-drawing-no-rapid-fire range is the key.

barricade drill:

plate rack 7-15 yards depending on skill level, one shot on each side until all the plates are down (ala the Burner)

Accuracy:

1 Ipsc target starting at 7 yards (limited) 10 yards open. 6 shots 6 seconds par time, upper a/b zone. Must have 3 clean runs then move back 2 yards and try again. (ala Garcia)

Transitions:

2 partials Ipsc target at 3-5 yards and 1 usp popper (or 8" plate) at 15-25 yards. Two on each Ipsc then PP mixed with 2 on 1st paper, PP, 2 on 2nd papper.

Shred that is pretty good advice perhaps we that have been doing this for a while forgot what it was like when we started.

Loves2Shoot- I like those drills especially the transistion drill

Thanks for the help guys.

Dry fire draw (ala Steve Anderson) 15' and 10 yds. (Finger on trigger, do not drop hammer)

Matt Burkett reloads (as described by Steve Anderson).

Transition drill:

If you have a plate rack set up 2 boxes 6' apart, take shot from each box until all plates are down. (Idea from Matt B and Saul K.)

I'll have to second Anderson's dry-fire draw drill. It improves your draw speed, teaches focus shift to the sights, and will eventually create a solid index.

The Bill Drill is also great, but with a catch. You need to make sure you watch something, and I don't think it always has to be the front sight, without blinking for all six shots.

draw, shoot 2, reload, shoot 2. 7 yds, then 10 yds, then 15...

variation; headshots, same drill. we used to do this drill w/a a zone/czone sized suspended steel target, but it works just as well w/paper (tho that requires taping, of course).

another good drill, using 8" steel plates, simply draw and hit one; record time. repeat. 10 yd drill. it's meant to practice the draw and quick sight acquisition, but you may find yourself 'point' shooting after a time. if this become the case, go on to two plates, then three...

you get the idea. ;)

Bill Drill at 15 yards.

Hardball's Headache.

Which is - Three IPSC targets at 12 yards, a yard apart, edge to edge. Draw and shoot 2 shots in each body, reload, and 2 shots in each upper B zone. (Look at me all PC and all.) Scored time/plus = .2 of a second per point dropped.

be

One drill that would probably be good for handling and just general weapon competence...

5 Live Rounds, 1 Dummy Round. Have someone load the magazine with one live round as the first and last round in the mag. Then mix in the dummy round with the three remaining. This way the first and last round is always live and the dummy is a surprise. They can then work on the tap-rack. Good simple malfunction drill.

This drill helps indexing.

4 paper targets 7-10yrds down range about 1-2yrds apart.

Stong hand 2-shots per target

followed by weak hand 2-shots per target

then free style 2-shots per target.

The key is to start off strong hand and work backwards to freestyle.

• 4 months later...

Drills without purpose/goal (beginer>novice) are not much of a training tool for impovement of shooting skills. When your club puts the "top 10" out they should include the object/goal of the drill (spilts, transitions, start/stop position, draw, reloads, ect) and what the drill is designed to achieve with regard to specific skill set to be worked on.

Many who wish to become better shooters at the beginning of their quest shoot drills without ever being aware of the goal of the specfic drill or worse fail to understand what skill is being practiced. While mearly shooting some drills can increase basic skill sets the newer shooter will hit a barrier and stagnate without an understanding of the imprtance of seeing.

"Seeing" (shot calling, sight lift) is the skill that is often overlooked and included in ALL drills regardless ot the type and often times these (shot calling, sight lift) are not emphasized as the most important skill base to allow continued improvement.

+1 on that. Unless your club is exclusively "tactical" oriented, I think you could use to separate the drills into "tactical" drills (TRB, malfunction, pieing, ...) and pure "shooting" (Bill drills, bullseyes, ...) drills.

A "skill level" option might also be good-- as in "these are beginner drills, these are advanced drills"

Max's "Triple Six" is also a great drill (there are rumors that BE or TGO actually invented it way back when, but it's associated with Max now..)

As a new competitive shooter, I've been searching / reading about training drills. I've compiled several (including some mentioned here). Here is my first attempt at a collection. Comments / suggestions are welcome.

http://www.woodfam.com/forums/Collection_o...e_Drills_v1.pdf

Ryan

Ryan,

Many thanx for posting your collection of drills. I printed them and plan to use some of them in the near future!

Regards,

Leo

• 3 weeks later...