Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting article in May/June Front Sight

Krag

25 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

"This is the way we have always done it.  There is no reason to change!"

I have heard this refrain in over 35 hospitals where I was retained to turn them around so they would not go bankrupt. 

If the change would result in a better situation then change is warranted.  Nothing wrong with becoming obsolete if the replacement is better.

Tell that to all the thousands of shooters with millions of dollars worth of guns.  Sorry your stuff is useless now.  "we made it better"  

Edited by Shadyscott999

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, tanks said:

Military and LEOs wanting to use their duty gun can shoot Production division. I don't see how the current rules stop them from doing that. Not to mention it is not that big of a demographic that is worth changing the rules for the Limited division. Heck of a lot more civilian gun owners are out there. Also, I don't think not being able to shoot Limited is what is stopping those that want to compete but rather it is lack of desire or the risk of competing and putting it out there for people to see. 

Bingo. 

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I know alot of competitive people that make less than the average cop (average salary is $61k with good benefits and accelerated retirement). Shooting is pretty cheap compared to racing motorcycles or even bicycles. Now you can *make* it expensive, with lots of travel and fancy guns, but you can be entirely competitive at the local level for less than most people waste eating out and on fast food.

For sure almost every cop in my agency is paid more than me (i'm the lowly data/computer guy), but I can still afford $200/month or so for ammo and match fees.

Are you saying you're the IT guy at your Department?  I don't know what we pay Cruz, the IT guy dedicated to the Rangers, but we treat him like a little g god.  He has the power to make your life great or a living hell.  

1 hour ago, sfinney said:

Obviously there are many good great cop shooters who are LE,  yourself included. My father in-law (retired Dallas Sheriff) is was a decent shooter. I think though the public expects LE to be better shooters than most are, or think they are. I shoot with an FBI agent neighbor, occasionally at the local range, but have been unsuccessful in getting him to a match.... he is safe, and can surely pass a qualification. But not anywhere near a good C, or B shooter for shooting points or calling shots. Just because cops carry guns everyday does not mean they can (or like to) shoot. Or have a knack for it.

Some decide to get better after their first few matches and come back motivated, and some just go away (intimidated or embarrassed, or not interested)... in probably the same ratio as most new shooters. 

You are absolutely right.  The public thinks all cops are SWAT operators which couldn't be farther from the truth.  Even more to the point, even though I'm just an "A" class Limited shooter, I can smoke our SRT guys even with a rifle.  

16 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Are you saying you're the IT guy at your Department?  I don't know what we pay Cruz, the IT guy dedicated to the Rangers, but we treat him like a little g god.  He has the power to make your life great or a living hell.  

lol, yeah, that's pretty much me... The officers are truly awesome to me, but I get paid less and have to work many more years to retirement. I do like not being in on any of the backstabbing and political wrangling, however. The sworn officers are all in competition for the same promotions.

As to your other points about LEO's, of course they are not great shooters (unless they practice outside of their work training). They have to train on 781934719023874123 other things that are mostly more important than shooting. All I have to do it shoot.

This is off the ops topic, but since there are so many LEO'S chiming in, I want to give a big THANK YOU for all your service and dedication!   I do wish I could get some of our local Leo's out to the range, but they insist that their " training" is much better than our game.  My 13 year old, who won C class  SS at the Area 6 by over 100 points this year can out shoot any of them.  They only qualify 1 time per year and never live fire outside of that here.  We even offered to close the range for a private LEO match, but they just snub their nose at us.  So a GREAT BIG APPLAUSE to those who shoot!

2 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

This is off the ops topic, but since there are so many LEO'S chiming in, I want to give a big THANK YOU for all your service and dedication!   I do wish I could get some of our local Leo's out to the range, but they insist that their " training" is much better than our game.  My 13 year old, who won C class  SS at the Area 6 by over 100 points this year can out shoot any of them.  They only qualify 1 time per year and never live fire outside of that here.  We even offered to close the range for a private LEO match, but they just snub their nose at us.  So a GREAT BIG APPLAUSE to those who shoot!

We actually have a pretty good crew of LE shooters in the DFW area.