Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting article in May/June Front Sight

Krag

On page 20 Cameron Hopkins seems to be recommending that USPSA drop MPF to 145 and do away with the .40 caliber requirement to claim MPF. His arguments are too extensive to list here but I think he's making a lot of sense.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been shooting Limited and L10 with two .40 pistols for the past 15 years. My 'smith just finished building me a 9mm STI 2011 to replace them because I just want to shoot for "fun" and not worry about PF. Plus I have a garage full of 9mm so I won't have to bother about reloading.

Edited by Krag

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why people  want to completely change the rules.  You don't like a division shoot a different division. Instead of  changing the rules of that division to what you want it to be and cost everyone else a bunch of money when they were fine with the rules as they were.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Krag said:

Hopkins is recommending USPSA drop MPF to 145 and do away with the .40 caliber requirement

I've been recommending the same for years.

A good 9mm bullet, at PF 145 or so, is just as effective as a .45 ball ammo.

That was supposed to be the reason for 9mm = Minor, that it was NOT

as effective as .45 ball.

Can eliminate a lot of categories -  :) 

A 9mm with a good bullet at a 165 PF, 125 at 1320 f/s is close to many 357 mag loads out of a 3" barrel and has a good stopping power track record.

So with a bit of fudge factor a 155 or 160 PF for major and allowing 9mm in Limited would be reasonable.

But, leaving it as is works too.

Did find Cameron's views on a few things ...hmmmm ?interesting?

Glad I'm Area 3, Sherwynn's been a pretty good Director.

50 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

145pf would basically make everyone score major. Lame. 

i think that's the idea, so that old people and sissies and pre-teen girls and 3-gunners (yeah, i know, lots of overlap in these categories) can score major without having to be able to actually *handle* major pf recoil, and the rest of us have to buy new guns.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

i think that's the idea, so that old people and sissies and pre-teen girls and 3-gunners (yeah, i know, lots of overlap in these categories) can score major without having to be able to actually *handle* major pf recoil, and the rest of us have to buy new guns.

That’s what airsoft is for. 

Currently you have to shoot .40 in limited to be competitive.  I wouldn't mind seeing a change in minor scoring (3.5points for C, 1.5 points for D) to give minor a shot at being competitive.  .40 would still have the edge, but this would cause some people to seriously consider shooting minor.  

It could be interesting.

34 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

Currently you have to shoot .40 in limited to be competitive.  I wouldn't mind seeing a change in minor scoring (3.5points for C, 1.5 points for D) to give minor a shot at being competitive.  .40 would still have the edge, but this would cause some people to seriously consider shooting minor.  

It could be interesting.

For those that want to shoot minor and still have a 140mm mag there is now Carry Optics division. We have divisions that encapsulates just about everything people want to shoot including rifles. No need to fiddle with the Limited major scoring. 

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've been recommending the same for years.

A good 9mm bullet, at PF 145 or so, is just as effective as a .45 ball ammo.

That was supposed to be the reason for 9mm = Minor, that it was NOT

as effective as .45 ball.

Can eliminate a lot of categories -  :) 

That's not really the reason, though, is it? The original major/minor divide was to allow people shooting guns with dramatically different magazine capacities (your Hi-Powers and your 1911s) to shoot in the same competitions, without dramatically advantaging the people with the bigger magazines. The combat effectiveness was arguably a mislead originally, and is definitely a mislead now. The sole design purpose of major/minor scoring in modern USPSA is to reward shooting harder-recoiling ammunition; if you're going to go down to a much-easier-to-shoot 145PF, you should just do away with major/minor altogether.

8 hours ago, CharlieD said:

It could be interesting.

I like the thrust of this idea, but the problem is that it would screw the two remaining Revolver Major shooters even harder.

I'm almost sorry I mentioned Hopkin's article. From the vitriolic response from some posters it apparently gores too many sacred cows? Like I said, after almost two decades of shooting USPSA I've decided to shoot Minor in Limited and L10 (as do a number of shooters in this area)  as I am no longer a very "competitive" person and only want to enjoy myself at matches. And the money I'll save on ammo is a bonus.

I am not a "sissie" and believe the person who posted that stepped over the line!

Edited by Krag

it's not about sacred cows, it's about fixing stuff that isn't broke, and causing a bunch of trouble and expense for no good reason. Stability of equipment rules is a LOT more important than what the FBI thinks.

If you want to shoot minor, i'm fine with that. If you want everyone else to shoot minor too so you can feel better, then expect to have people step over lines.  ;)

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

If you want to shoot minor, i'm fine with that. If you want everyone else to shoot minor too so you can feel better, then expect to have people step over lines.  ;)

Where did I say I wanted everyone to shoot Minor?