Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp System mags dumping bullets

IsaacB

I am having a problem with the base pads on my Tripp System magazines sliding off during reloads. It takes very little pressure to slide the base pads off of the magazine. As you can imaging, having all of your bullets, spring, and follower blow out the bottom of the mag doesn’t help my time very much.

If I hold the magazine upside down in one hand, it only takes moderate pressure from one thumb to push the pad off and shoot the spring out. I have 8 of the system mags and they are all brand new. They all do this.

I don’t have this problem with my other magazines, but those also don’t hold ten rounds and are also harder to clean after they hit the ground.

Anybody else have this issue and have a way of keeping the bases on the magazines?

The plastic plate with the raised circle is seated within the cutout in the base pad. When I push the base forward, the locking plate ends up pushing into the body of the mag which then allows the pad to slide off.

Call or email Tripp. I had an issue with a follower and they were very helpful and got me a replacement  quickly.  Do your mags have the plastic base pads. I have the optional metal base pads and they are really tight.

I emailed Tripp and received amazing support from Aaron within a few hours. I wanted to post the resolution in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

Aaron told me that there are two solutions for the problem. He explained how to fix it on my own, but also offered to fix them for me if I wanted to ship them back.

The first solution is to slightly bend out the bottom of the magazine body so that it provides more friction against the base pad and is hard to slip off.

The second solution is to use a custom mag spring. Normally the system mags have 13 coils. He is going to take a 14 coil spring and cut off half of the last coil, giving a 13.5 coil spring. This will make it so that the bottom portion of the spring is only contacting the front of the locking plate, thus adding more resistance so that the base pad cannot push the plate back into the mag body.

Both of the solutions will make disassembly a little more difficult, but I think that is a perfectly acceptable trade off to keep the bullets inside of the magazine. Plus they are sending me the mag springs for free.

Tripp’s customer support is fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wolf1389 said:

Aaron is second to no one when it comes to quality customer service and support. The guy is an encyclopedia of knowledge when troubleshooting mag issues. 

Aaron has helped me many times with mag issues. I had all kinds of problems with the 10rd 9mm mags. Aaron was honest and told me they didn't have a fix for my problem and the best thing for me to do is buy Dawson Precision competition ready mags in 9mm. To either send them in the defective mags and get a refund or exchange for mags in another caliber. For him being honest I exchanged them for some more 45acp mags. Betty and Virgil are also really helpful too.

• 4 weeks later...