Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My MPX build.

Taccom buffer already installed?

I heard the taccom buffer requires you to pull both pins and remove the upper half completely. As uposed to just removing the rear takedown pin to work on the MPX. Any truth to that?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little mix of muscle and finesse you can do it the normal way. Especially putting it back together. Also read the instructions when you put it on! hahahaha. It ships with a part you have to remove to install it. So guess who did double work....??

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Everything on and assembled but for the isler cf handguard, which arrives next week early. Can't wait!

If it turns out to actually be some ugly color, send it over. I have some items to cerakote armor black soon.

But the handguards in these guy’s images look to match the rifles, so it probably is just your display.

It should be a crime to cover up carbon fiber parts. With the expection of my 308, every one of my ARs and now my MPX have a CF handguard. I have a weakness for the look. 

17 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Shh. I’m actually going to send it back to him in hot pink.

It’ll be hilarious.

He's just as much fun in person as well! And will even loan you a hoodie if you're cold.

Gun is finished! Sighting it in tomorrow. And I had fun practicing loading a mag with 40 rounds into it on a closed bolt with, no surprise, way way less force and issue than I had with my Colt mag guns. We'll see if the mpx goddess gives it her blessing tomorrow.

11 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Gun is finished! Sighting it in tomorrow. And I had fun practicing loading a mag with 40 rounds into it on a closed bolt with, no surprise, way way less force and issue than I had with my Colt mag guns. We'll see if the mpx goddess gives it her blessing tomorrow.

Good luck with it, keep us posted!

(That’s also why I’m thinking about welding two colt mag bodies together at around 55 rounds, so I can fill it with 48-50 and always seat it reliably without having the extra length and possible failure point of a mag splice.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Love the hangguard! Definitely worth it. Thank you to those who convinced me. Changes from today:

1.moved the optic back to even with the rear of the ejection port. i like the fov of the optic, hood and targets with it a little closer than i've ran on other rifles.

2. removed the taccom buffer and reinstalled the stock part.

3. installed a spare pair of recoil springs that had 4 coils cut off each. will shoot that tomorrow.

4. the gen 1 mag i bought for cheap absolutely would not feed my ammo at all. suspect the differnce in they have shorted feed lips versus gen 2 mags.

Edited by rowdyb

The boss shot it earlier today while we were practicing and she gave her stamp of approval. hahahaha. She also was my cut spring hook up, so we'll see if what works for her set up transfer over into mine.

Edited by rowdyb

Glad you like the new handguard.

You swapped the original buffer back in. What was the difference between the OEM and the taccom buffer that you made the change back?

I get that many of these features are subjective but I appreciate the feedback. 

I was short stroking the gun when doing unloaded starts with it. It felt nice but that issue was enough for me to go back to stock. As I get better technique I may revisit it. But the slight subjective benefit wasn't enough to keep it over that issue.

Works just fine. Unloaded starts go just fine as well. If you like how it feels keep it, it's like what less than 30 bucks? Heck, I thought of just running the polymer portion of the taccom buffer and no spring as it looks like that'd work to. Again, it feels kinda like a personal preference thing. If I had to try and quantify the difference I'd put it in singe digits percent difference from stock.

I moved the optic back closer to my face, I like that better. I have tried a 3moa ff3 and an 8moa ff3. I like the precision I get with the 3 but I like the speed of the 8 and the greater ability to see the 8 in brighter sunlight.

So I ordered a cmore railway in 6moa to see if that is a good compromise. Until then I will be shooting the 3moa in steel challenge and in idpa pcc. Oh, and at a classifier match this weekend. Try and bump up the 60% I am currently in PCC.....

I also had my holster guy make me a pouch for a mag. So I have now a Sig branded pouch, the CompTac one and now a custom one-of from RLN.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:04 PM, rowdyb said:

the gen 1 mag i bought for cheap absolutely would not feed my ammo at all. suspect the differnce in they have shorted feed lips versus gen 2 mags.

I went back and looked at the specs on your reloads. 1.100 is super short for 9mm and especially short for using 147gr pills. You using ammo loaded for a Tanfo or CZ? I’d suggest taking that out to at least 1.125 and see if they don’t feed from that gen 1 mag. 

I wouldn't advise using the Timney Calvin Elite or cutting coils. I am aware that there is a sponsored shooting who does this, but it's a recipe for disaster. 

A local shooter to me had that Timney fail completely within 300 rounds. 

Use the Timney MPX Tigger or a Hiperfire.

For the recoil system you should send the barrel to In Lead We Trust to have the gas port opened up to Gen 1 specs rather than cutting coils. The Gen II is under gassed for most gamer loads. 

2 hours ago, v1911 said:

I went back and looked at the specs on your reloads. 1.100 is super short for 9mm and especially short for using 147gr pills. You using ammo loaded for a Tanfo or CZ? I’d suggest taking that out to at least 1.125 and see if they don’t feed from that gen 1 mag. 

yes, the load for my cz shadow 2. they are a rnfp profile. i bought one gen 1 mag for fun as  it was like 10 dollars. if only gen 2 mags work and i get to just make one 9mm load, i'm fine with that.

2 hours ago, alma said:

I wouldn't advise using the Timney Calvin Elite or cutting coils. I am aware that there is a sponsored shooting who does this, but it's a recipe for disaster. 

A local shooter to me had that Timney fail completely within 300 rounds. 

Use the Timney MPX Tigger or a Hiperfire.

For the recoil system you should send the barrel to In Lead We Trust to have the gas port opened up to Gen 1 specs rather than cutting coils. The Gen II is under gassed for most gamer loads. 

yes i know, i shoot with that person every week. my calvin has been great for close to 1k rounds now. what do you mean by recipe for disaster? spending money to buy a different trigger or like some catastrophic thing that destroys other parts of the gun? i am going to send the barrel off next week to get the gas port done.

all in all, though an expensive build, i've been happy with the mpx and really enjoy shooting it. people say it all the time and i normally roll my eyes when i read it but this is one gun where it currently has a higher potential than i have been able to deliver with my shooting ability. in other words i'm not as good with a pcc as i am with a pistol hahahha.

i agree, conventional wisdom is run an mpx specific trigger, run a 124gr bullet at a higher pf and get the port opened. i am for sure doing #3. if i have to i can do #1 later. #2 isn't happening as i have too much of that bullet, like 14k of them on the garage floor, to switch for the foreseeable future.