Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My MPX build.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taccom buffer update.

so i have been switching back and forth between the stock buffer and the taccom one.

i cut some of the wave spring off the taccom and liked it. made taking the upper off the lower easier.

but i went back to the stocker.

then i ran just the polymer part of the taccom buffer, no spring at all, and liked that ok to but could tell it wasn't the same.

went back to the stocker.

then i measured the length of the stock buffer and cut the taccom's sleeve around the bolt to a length that the static installed length of the taccom buffer and spring more closelymatched (within 0.09") the length of the stock polymer buffer.

running the taccom buffer currently in its shortened condition.

i shot ar9 guns before pcc was an official division, mostly at local steel matches. so the amount of stuff to tune them and the knowledge was much less then on making them a game gun.

but, i have shot gmr13, scorpion, a psa ar9 and mpx guns. As an overall package, yes even though I fooled with mine extensively, i am enjoying the mpx the most.

now, competitive advantage? we'll see. that's going to be a long term project. i've only shot my mpx in steel challenge and idpa matches so far. i won't go at pcc with real hard attention until after uspsa nationals in october.

Looks good Rowdy!

I’m chopping at the bit to start working on mine. Hoping to use it at a sanctioned match for IDPA in October.

Don’t be shy about posting more videos now that you’ve got that bad boy all hot rodded out. 

13 hours ago, v1911 said:

Don’t be shy about posting more videos

Well as I won't be shooting many matches with it for a while, what kind of videos do you think you'd like to see?? I have the time....

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Well as I won't be shooting many matches with it for a while, what kind of videos do you think you'd like to see?? I have the time....

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you’re a person that is drivin by relentless dissatisfaction. If that’s true, you may not be shooting matches but you’re probably practicing regularly to refine skills.

I’d like to see any videos of you working on transitions with the newer setup. Reloads on the clock would be interesting to see as well. 

So I shot a uspsa classifier match a few weeks ago, production and pcc. I was first overall with my Prod gun and second with PCC, at 95% and having a few issues in pcc along the way. Which seems against the conventional wisdom that anybody can pick up a pcc and be great or a GM in no time.

After reading your comment and thinking about my recent experience my first thought is to do a "Prod vs PCC" video where I do a bunch of standard pistol drills and compare each element of the the two runs. Draws, splits, transitions, reloads and points. 4 Aces at 7 yards. Bill drill at 7 yards. El Pres at 10 yards. Plate rack at 10 yards. Smoke and Hope and 5 to Go steel challenge stages. That'd be 6 pretty standard drills, two with reloads, 4 with multiple targets.

Do three runs of each drill on each platform and keep every run, good or bad. Caption each video with the data. (I use only the simplest of video editors)

Edited by rowdyb
2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

So I shot a uspsa classifier match a few weeks ago, production and pcc. I was first overall with my Prod gun and second with PCC, at 95% and having a few issues in pcc along the way. Which seems against the conventional wisdom that anybody can pick up a pcc and be great or a GM in no time.

After reading your comment and thinking about my recent experience my first thought is to do a "Prod vs PCC" video where I do a bunch of standard pistol drills and compare each element of the the two runs. Draws, splits, transitions, reloads and points. 4 Aces at 7 yards. Bill drill at 7 yards. El Pres at 10 yards. Plate rack at 10 yards. Smoke and Hope and 5 to Go steel challenge stages. That'd be 6 pretty standard drills, two with reloads, 4 with multiple targets.

Do three runs of each drill on each platform and keep every run, good or bad. Caption each video with the data. (I use only the simplest of video editors)

where do we go to see said videos? 

4 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

where do we go to see said videos? 

I'm going to be making it in the coming week. it will be on my youtube channel, "rowdstar" and i'll probably cross post it to this thread and the mpx group on fb.

i was thinking about my proposed video and i am now of the opinion it would just reflect on my abilities rather than truly what is different about a pistol vs a pcc. so i'll probably just shoot a video with the pcc of the above drills just to get some "action" video.

My baby steps. You can tell this isn't what I practice.... hahaha. But I did shoot a 96 on smoke n hope and a 90 on round about and speed option in PCCO in a steel challenge match this past weekend. You also get to see how flat the gun is with a 139pf load, my regular pistol load for Prod that is 129,130 in my Shadow 2.

Great video Rowdy, thanks for sharing. That rifle looks incredibly flat even with the stock muzzle device. 

One question:

What kind of groupings are you getting with your double taps and bill drills?

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Put a crimson trace cr206 green laser on it today. I like!

In what capacity are you using the laser?

i have one on my .45 PCC, but I’ve yet to use it. 

primarily support side shooting, becuase i prefer it to 45 offset sights. and it's legal for idpa and uspsa. and 'cause i can. it didn't add much weight or change the look/feel of the gun so until it bothers me, it will stay.

I hadn’t thought of using it in that manner. Now I have to buy a 45 degree mount. I can see this being useful not just for weakhand shooting but hard lean shots on the strong side as well.