Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Issues (Failure to go into battery)

casarez

Have you tried different ammo yet? That would be my first move. Put the pistol in the factory configuration and try some full power factory ammo. Shoot about 200 rounds that way then see where your at. And try 124gr. as sometimes I have found 147gr longer than some pistols like.

Edited by mpeltier

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently picked up a P320 X5 and out was pretty stiff out of the box, and I was getting hangups just out of battery.  Could really feel a grind as the cycling started and the barrel unlocked from the slide.  Gave her a clean and a lube, and then let it sit overnight with the action locked back.  From just that one night, it would no longer hang up 1/4" out of battery like before, and I couldn't get it to not go fully in.  So I figured that just that overnight span with the slide locked back either helped break in the recoil spring, or...with some of the findings in this thread.....

......maybe it helped break in the disconnector lifter spring, which was hanging the slide up from friction.  Let it sit another night and it was even better, just as smooth cycling as my P320 Compact (also with safety upgrade/disconnector).

Took the X5 to the range today, 300 rds of Remington UMC and Blazer Brass, not a single issue or hangup. All good ejection, no out-of-battery, slide lock every time. Feels just like my P320 compact but less muzzle flip. Felt fine, and glad there were no issues.

Only thing is that it prints WAY low. Even with the rear sight cranked up as high as it seems to go, I was getting 2" low at 35-45 feet! Front sight measures around .245" high. I ordered a Dawson .215" hight front sight, should hopefully fix it for me.  But anyway, seems the out-of-battery somehow worked itself out before even shooting it.  So I guess I'd recommend letting it sit a few nights (after proper cleaning/lubing) with slide locked back if others are getting those issues.

Edited by MoRivera

Had to change the front sight in my X5 too. Way to high of a sight.

Lock up on mine the last 1/8" inch is very tight. Mine hesitates or stops going in battery with 10 or 11 pound springs. 12 pound in my gun is minimum. Most smiths seem to be recommending a 14 pound spring.... but many do run on lighter ones. YRMV. 

If its off at Sig getting the upgrade now. Hope to be playing with it again soon. The gun. Geez.

If it's useful giving you a failure to go into battery then move up in spring weight, not down. 13lb is the min for me but I would try a 14lb. Give it 1k rounds and it will break in, but it should still work in the meantime. I do load a little shorter for my P320s than I had been loading previously (1.125 with a 124gr FP). 

Seems to me the factory X5 has a spring rate ramp up problem and recoil spring/rod friction issue, the reason being exactly alma said, it displays the issues of both a too strong and too weak recoil spring at the same time for many users even after hundreds of rounds.  The gun isn't going back into battery that's too weak of a recoil spring, but the same recoil spring has problems ejecting factory 9mm ammo which indicates a too strong of a recoil spring.   When mine was new, even Nato rounds only went 2-3' standard 9mm ammo went about 8-10" toward the shooter.   If you're factory handgun is weakly ejecting Nato 9mm, and problems returning to battery the manufacturer did something wrong.   

When mine was new out of the box it would refuse to go fully into battery even with a "half" rearward release, so I took care to clean/lube various parts one at a time to ID what was really causing the issue, the only thing that made a big difference was getting the recoil spring/guide really wet.  

I replaced mine with the Gray Guns guide rode and their 15# recoil spring, and what do you know goes into battery solid, and ejects properly with factory ammo, and you can feel the slide moves much smoother the whole slide travel.

Mine also printed way low, so much so getting it to zero caused the rear sight to fly apart (I must have got to it's last turn or so and shooting it after must have been enough to back it the rest of the way out).  My guess is Sig is trying to use the tallest sight they can possibly get away with in order to work with the Romeo1 reflex sight with it's built in rear sight notch and hoping the adjustable sight can compensate. 

I had been using springer precision’s tungsten guide rod with Wilson 10# recoil springs (since I got an assortment of springs from my 1911s) with my 128-130 PF reloads. No problems whatsoever though the casing just dribble out from the gun. Nonetheless, the gun shoots flat and gets back on target.

13 hours ago, toddm said:

Seems to me the factory X5 has a spring rate ramp up problem and recoil spring/rod friction issue, the reason being exactly alma said, it displays the issues of both a too strong and too weak recoil spring at the same time for many users even after hundreds of rounds.  The gun isn't going back into battery that's too weak of a recoil spring, but the same recoil spring has problems ejecting factory 9mm ammo which indicates a too strong of a recoil spring.   When mine was new, even Nato rounds only went 2-3' standard 9mm ammo went about 8-10" toward the shooter.   If you're factory handgun is weakly ejecting Nato 9mm, and problems returning to battery the manufacturer did something wrong.   

When mine was new out of the box it would refuse to go fully into battery even with a "half" rearward release, so I took care to clean/lube various parts one at a time to ID what was really causing the issue, the only thing that made a big difference was getting the recoil spring/guide really wet.  

I replaced mine with the Gray Guns guide rode and their 15# recoil spring, and what do you know goes into battery solid, and ejects properly with factory ammo, and you can feel the slide moves much smoother the whole slide travel.

Mine also printed way low, so much so getting it to zero caused the rear sight to fly apart (I must have got to it's last turn or so and shooting it after must have been enough to back it the rest of the way out).  My guess is Sig is trying to use the tallest sight they can possibly get away with in order to work with the Romeo1 reflex sight with it's built in rear sight notch and hoping the adjustable sight can compensate. 

I had this same issue with an X5 I purchased last month. The elevation screw turned freely and was not engaging the detent. What ended up happening was under recoil the rear sight springs would depress, and with no tension on it, the elevation screw would turn counter clockwise, and loosen almost to the point the sight would come apart. Thankfully I caught it before that happened. At any rate, I contacted Sig and they sent me a shipping label to send the pistol back and get it fixed. I would have rather they just send me a new rear sight, but that's not the way Sig is doing things. Aside from that slight hassle, the X5 is an incredible platform.

I have the Springer steel guide rod with a 13# 1911 spring, also smooth cycling with no hangups.  If I ease the slide down when loading an actual round (dummy round), I can get it to hang up, but a lot of guns will do that.

I also ordered a .215" front sight from Dawson (original is around .245").  I am, however, finding that I think I like the original grip profile better than the X one, particularly the backstrap.  Only thing is I don't think I can transfer the interior grip weight to the older grips.

• 3 months later...

Until yesterday I have had zero experience with explosive malfunctions (in fact any really - with my Sigs I've only had two malfunctions in 12000 rounds). Can anyone comment on what the likely cause is? Overcharge? Bad case? Out of battery (which worries me most)?

Got a little backblast but no injury at all. The grip module looks ok.

IMG_0452.jpg

Edited by gavagai