Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FREEDOM 9mm 124gr reloads

Freedom Munitions sucks.  Their ammo blows up guns, their 9mm brass (at one time at least) is dangerous to reload, their QC is complete trash.  I've seen lots of their 223 that tumbles under 25yds when nothing else did that in the same rifle.  I've pulled their headstamp split cases out of multiple chambers.

Edited by mahamoti

I have used 2k rounds of 124 remans from freedom and not had any issues. 

I had a fellow shooter tell me I should be using their NEW over remans. I have shot 300 rounds of the new and have had more Feed issues, not firing issues, and OAL issues with them in my glock mags. If I didn't have 700 rounds left I would go back to the reloads. I get very tight groups with them in my Diamondback PCC with their barrel. 

Right now, I trust the reloads more than the new. 

ALSO, I listen to the gun when a round goes off. The reloads have always been the same sound level. The new, I can hear different rounds sounding different, Lower to higher volume from round to round. I get very nervous when that happens. wondering if I am going to have to clear a jam or something to cost me dear seconds on a stage.

I know SIG says don't use it. We tried some and it wouldn't feed where Federal ran fine. Its always feed and gone bang but recently I was having troubles with plates and went to check my sight in and discovered the lousy groups and thought it was the gun, someone at range gave me some federal and accuracy and zero came right back. My guess is the plated bullets, out of 10 shot group have three fliers usually along with 4 inch cluster. Guess I'll just burn them up until the shootoff then run federal

I've used Freedom quite a bit. Almost of the time, I get trouble-free and fairly accurate results (as much as I am capable of). Occasionally, I'll have light strike issues and a couple times a squib (that thankfully makes it past the barrel). Different calibers seem to be different qualities. I'd never use their .38 sp in my revolver again. The 9 is okay most of the time. The .40 is best. If I'm going to a class or trying to make it through the busy summer season, I'll get a case or two to tide me over. Price-wise, you have to hit the sales and free shipping dates to make it worth it. We can get Blazer Brass locally on sale for same or better but in my guns, Freedom is tad softer recoil and more accurate. By the way, I believe Freedom is owned by CCI now.

In my mind, the risk of mishap with Freedom is less than anything I would generate by doing my own hand-loads. I pay the few cents more a round for new brass to help mitigate that risk. I've gone to Winchester White box as my prefered match ammo but doesn't go on sale as much and could not afford to shoot it every day out there.

While i see ammo fails fairly often at matches, the one that fails most, outside of personal reloads, if Freedom.

I wouldn't shoot it at a major if they gave it to me.

Too much invested in a match to have it all go to crap over case separation, fail to fire or other freedom silliness.

Edited by Bigsampson
34 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

in my mind, the risk of mishap with Freedom is less than anything I would generate by doing my own hand-loads. I pay the few cents more a round for new brass to help mitigate that risk. I've gone to Winchester White box as my prefered match ammo but doesn't go on sale as much and could not afford to shoot it every day out there.

Mcfoto,

Interesting your comment that you feel that hand loads are less reliable. I am looking to start reloading for a few reasons,

1) I get to control the quality of the load. I can, if I choose, to inspect and weigh every bullet before I load them to make sure of consistent weight. I can check each piece of brass as well. I will be able to use a known brand of powder and can have a load that is in tighter tolerances than most of the manufacturers out there selling "target / practice" rounds which most of us shoot due to price. 

2) I am no longer in the hands of the manufacturer. Meaning, if they make a change in their loads and do not publicize it and I order a new 1000 rounds from them, I am now experiencing a new POI due to those changes. Also, if the manufacturer is having supply issues on any part of their and that delays fulfilling orders for days or even weeks, you can find yourself WITHOUT ammo for a match and have to go out and pay full retail and have to resight your PCC due to a sudden change in rounds. Sometimes we don't have that time before a match when we have life happening around us.

3)cost per round- I know I have read a lot about the fact that you can't reload for less than you are paying for manufactured rounds. I, for one, am ok if I can at least load for the same cost per round mainly for the above 2 stated reasons.

4) it is another hobby to have. 

14 minutes ago, Bigsampson said:

While i see ammo fails fairly often at matches, the one that fails most, outside of personal reloads, if Freedom.

Too much invested in a match to have it all go to crap over case separation, fail to fire or other freedom silliness.

Go to the Freedom website and take a look at the reviews. And use your spell check.

50 minutes ago, mstamper said:

Mcfoto,

Interesting your comment that you feel that hand loads are less reliable. I am looking to start reloading for a few reasons,

1) I get to control the quality of the load. I can, if I choose, to inspect and weigh every bullet before I load them to make sure of consistent weight. I can check each piece of brass as well. I will be able to use a known brand of powder and can have a load that is in tighter tolerances than most of the manufacturers out there selling "target / practice" rounds which most of us shoot due to price. 

2) I am no longer in the hands of the manufacturer. Meaning, if they make a change in their loads and do not publicize it and I order a new 1000 rounds from them, I am now experiencing a new POI due to those changes. Also, if the manufacturer is having supply issues on any part of their and that delays fulfilling orders for days or even weeks, you can find yourself WITHOUT ammo for a match and have to go out and pay full retail and have to resight your PCC due to a sudden change in rounds. Sometimes we don't have that time before a match when we have life happening around us.

3)cost per round- I know I have read a lot about the fact that you can't reload for less than you are paying for manufactured rounds. I, for one, am ok if I can at least load for the same cost per round mainly for the above 2 stated reasons.

4) it is another hobby to have. 

My comment on hand loading is mostly in regard to self-awareness of my own mechanical ability. I’m just not a precision kind of guy. Therefore, I have made the personal decision to stick with factory ammo. I have no doubt that hand-loads done by those skilled in those arts are of superior quality to factory loads.

Edited by Mcfoto
3 hours ago, Bigsampson said:

I would agree with you. Fortunately, I only shoot one major a year and it's within driving distance and I offset the entry fee by being a volunteer. If I paid the money to travel and the big match entry fee, I would not trust Freedom for a happy return.

Edited by Mcfoto
2 hours ago, MikieM said:

Go to the Freedom website and take a look at the reviews. And use your spell check.

I wouldn't trust the reviews on their website. I gave them negative feedback after some bad experience with their .38 sp but they never published it. They curate those reviews.

Edited by Mcfoto

I go through about 1000 rounds a month doing about 2 local matches a week and hoping to get to the range sometime in between those matches to get some practice done. I would do more if I was reloading since i could produce more rounds. Due to my work schedule I currently don't have time to travel to major matches. Maybe someday. 

17 hours ago, mahamoti said:

Freedom Munitions sucks.  Their ammo blows up guns, their 9mm brass (at one time at least) is dangerous to reload, their QC is complete trash.  I've seen lots of their 223 that tumbles under 25yds when nothing else did that in the same rifle.  I've pulled their headstamp split cases out of multiple chambers.

This is total bull shit pal.  I shoot this ammo exclusively and have never had any of the problems you claim to have had.  Get a life

8 minutes ago, 10cup said:

This is total bull shit pal.  I shoot this ammo exclusively and have never had any of the problems you claim to have had.  Get a life

While mahamoti was a little harsh, he certainly isn't spewing bullshit. Freedom munitions has a track record of producing garbage.

2 hours ago, 10cup said:

Ah, the old sample size of one.  Glad it works for you.  It has not worked for me, and for MANY others, a simple Google search will dredge up pics of lots of blown up guns, squibs, tumbling bullets, and split cases.

And their 9mm cases are total trash, there's no denying that.  Stepped cases are a reloader's nightmare.

Get a life?  Rofl. You're supporting a company that endangers people's lives with their poor QC.

Edited by mahamoti

If you can live with 115s wally world federal is cheap. $17.80/100 for brass case. Aluminum case is a little cheaper than that and if you are not reloading should make no difference. Never had issues with either and runs cleaner than winchester. Used to shoot freedom but it is not that cheap any more. Never had any issues and they supposedly quit using stepped cases some years back.

Forgot this was the PCC forum, I would not run aluminum case in a blow back AR. I have and it worked great for about 150rnds, then not so much. Involved driving a bullet out of the chamber with a squib rod.

Edited by Chip3

TargetSportsUSA will deliver 1k 124gn Blazer to your door for just a few bucks over $200 when on sale as it currently is. This was my go to prior to reloading and still use as backup ammo. PF runs 144 out of my 16” barrel but was always reliable. They have other ammo choices as well but  having consistent ammo is critical and very much less stressful.

1 hour ago, Shorty4087 said:

TargetSportsUSA will deliver 1k 124gn Blazer to your door for just a few bucks over $200 when on sale as it currently is. This was my go to prior to reloading and still use as backup ammo. PF runs 144 out of my 16” barrel but was always reliable. They have other ammo choices as well but  having consistent ammo is critical and very much less stressful.

That is who I currently buy all my ammo from.

They have a program to get it even cheaper with free shipping on any amount. 

Just ordered a case of bulk 115g blazer brass for $0.17 per rnd, delivered.

7 hours ago, MikieM said:

Go choke yourself and quit stalking my posts.

One typo and you loose your mind.

I am sure you never mess anything up with your pompass attitude.

Edited by Bigsampson