Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA Division Proposal

ltrain7281

50 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

harder to shoot' in what way? are you measurably slower or less accurate? or do you just have to hold on tighter?

No less accurate.  Very slightly slower on some splits, especially when you have to put four or six shots into the same target.  Monster matches and the Classifiers of the type you mentioned come to mind.  For steel challenge I don't think it much matters what you shoot.  There is no way I can transition fast enough that the sights aren't long settled by the time I'm on the next target.  My grip is the same for minor and major.  Maybe that's why minor moves a little less.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/19/2018 at 10:03 PM, ltrain7281 said:

I would like to get some opinions on a new proposed division in USPSA geared more towards actual compact sized carry guns. The size guns I am talking about would be double stack guns that have a 4" or shorter barrel, examples would be Glock 19, M&P Compact, Walther PPQ 4", CZ P10C just to name a few. The reason I bring this up is that the most popular pistols that are bought and sold in the U.S. are these compact double stacked sized guns. I talked to several of the popular pistol manufactures to try and get some numbers for comparison, what several of them told me was that they sell anywhere from 5 to 8 of the compact models to every 1 of the longer/competition sized pistols. Now, I know what a lot of people will say that these guns are already legal to compete in several of the current USPSA divisions like Limited and Production etc. BUT, how often do you see people using these shorter barrel guns at matches??? As a local MD here in Arkansas I can tell you that I rarely see more than 1 or 2 shooters per match that bring their compact pistols out to compete, typically it is 1 or none. Most people that shoot on a regular basis are going to be using one of the longer competition sized guns like a G34, Q5 Match, or Shadow 2 etc. There is a big advantage with the longer heavier competition sized guns over the compacts and most people who are serious and compete in Production or Limited are not going to handicap themselves by using a smaller gun.  

What I would like to get from this post is feedback on whether or not you all think this division would be worth adding or not? We currently have many divisions that are geared towards certain styles of pistols like Open is geared towards the full on race 2011's. Limited is geared towards the high end 2011's and newly crowned G24, (Also worth mentioning is L10). Single Stack and Revolver, I don't think these need any explaining as to what they are geared towards. Production... This division is kinda all over the place, I would say the steel framed guns have become the majority of what you are going to see at bigger matches but at local matches it tends to be a very wide array of different type pistols. Carry Optics is no where near "CARRY" since it is full sized guns with 140mm mags. Let's just rename this division to "GHETTO OPEN" and move on. PCC division, here is a great division that does nothing to better a persons ability to shoot or manipulate a pistol but has brought a lot of growth to the sport and a lot of innovation in pistol cartridge AR variant style rifle/carbines. With all these divisions that we currently have, there is really no good place for the number 1 sized pistols to play and compete on a level playing field.  

This division exists and is called IDPA. IDPA is geared to carrying concealed and arguable more real life scenarios where uspsa is a sport where cover, BUG divisions and shooting behind barricades is no included

On 12/31/2019 at 2:52 PM, Hockeycor22 said:

This division exists and is called IDPA. IDPA is geared to carrying concealed and arguable more real life scenarios where uspsa is a sport where cover, BUG divisions and shooting behind barricades is no included

Heh.

That's what they say, yes.  That's not what it is.

Note:  I also shoot IDPA.  That doesn't change the fact that "more real life scenarios" is NOT what happens in IDPA matches.    (I'll note also that there are plenty of cases where in USPSA you shoot from behind a barricade, often in classifiers.)

4 hours ago, Thomas H said:

Heh.

That's what they say, yes.  That's not what it is.

Note:  I also shoot IDPA.  That doesn't change the fact that "more real life scenarios" is NOT what happens in IDPA matches.    (I'll note also that there are plenty of cases where in USPSA you shoot from behind a barricade, often in classifiers.)

IDPA is definitely geared more towards defensive shooting over uspsa. I mean, you need a cover over your gun, you get penilized if you drop anmag with rounds in it and you must shoot with your body behind cover. 

Im not an IDPA shooter but isn’t there a BUG (back up gun) division where your barrel must be 4” or less?

17 hours ago, Hockeycor22 said:

IDPA is definitely geared more towards defensive shooting over uspsa. I mean, you need a cover over your gun, you get penilized if you drop anmag with rounds in it and you must shoot with your body behind cover. 

Im not an IDPA shooter but isn’t there a BUG (back up gun) division where your barrel must be 4” or less?

Need a cover over your gun?  Not always.

Dropping a mag with rounds in it being "defensive"?  Heh. 

As waktasz pointed out, they have "cover lines" (fault lines) now, not "body behind cover".  And considering that IDPA rewards NOT using cover correctly in terms of how much is exposed while shooting targets quickly, again---IDPA may claim to be "more realistic" and "self defense oriented" but...it isn't.

Still a fun shooting game.