Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*thumb rest [generic]* for Para P-16

dirty5thirty

I just bought one of the thumb rests that fit into the slide release (and replaces the slide release). After some thought, I decided that it is better than drilling holes into the frame of my 2011 to mount one of the more standard thumb rests.

Here is the one I got (in satin stainless steel):

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooting-Sports-Innovations-Nitro-Fin-19112011-Thumb-Rest-P4129.aspx

I really love it, but it was pricey compared to the more traditional thumb rests (costs about $120).

It just dropped right in without any modifications. Highly recommended.

One other thing to mention (in case you weren't aware), you will need to use a race holster if you go with a thumb rest. I was already using an Everglades race holster, so it was not an issue for me, but it is something worth thinking about if you haven't yet.

I know there are some people that have modified kydex holsters by cutting a slot for the thumb rest, so that might be an option as well.

3 hours ago, dirty5thirty said:

Is there any difference other than size between the different manufacturers? I want to put a *thumb rest [generic]* on my new 2011 but not sure which 1 to get.. 

Thanks for the help 

You say you have a 2011 but the title says "Para". Which is it? The 2011 has a modular frame with a thick dust cover which is fine for drilling and tapping holes. Para's have monolithic frames with the dust cover much thinner and prone to cracking at the drilled holes. Below is my example ;)

MountHoleCrack.jpg

I think OP has a 2011 but wants to put a thumb rest on that is designated as being for a Para. 

I suspect because the Para has a thinner dust cover it may come with hardware specific to that thinner dust cover. 

If you have a 2011, get the thumb rest that is designated 2011/STI/SVI. 

That said, imo I would try the slide release thumb rest/nitro fin style first because they're desirable enough you can always turn around and sell it at a very small loss. 

Also, if your 2011 is a DVC or any other hard chromed gun, drilling through the hard chrome will leave the bare steel exposed in those places. If the gun is blued, you can always do a more protective finish after you've made final modifications to the frame and slide (thumb rest mounting holes, slide lightening etc.)

31 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

What's with the *thumb rest [generic]*  terminology?

The forum software replaces this string (Gaz Petal) when spelled correctly with the observed string. I think it was some copyright thing from the distant past.

Edited by ChuckS

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

You say you have a 2011 but the title says "Para". Which is it? The 2011 has a modular frame with a thick dust cover which is fine for drilling and tapping holes. Para's have monolithic frames with the dust cover much thinner and prone to cracking at the drilled holes. Below is my example ;)

MountHoleCrack.jpg

yes it is for a para 2011 p 16

Even though I could drill into my frame, I opted not to. The nitro fin style thumb rest took all of 60 seconds to install, and included taking the old slide stop out, and putting the new one in, and required zero modifications.

I kept trying to order the Phoenix Trinity thumb rest that also goes in place of the slide stop, but they are out of stock, and had a couple of their machines go down, so they said it may be a long while before they can afford to setup a machine to build any. I am on a wait list, and still have not heard back. I just ordered the Nitro Fin model, and it works great.

It's a semantics thing but a Para is a double stack 1911. 2011 refers specifically to the modular grip/frame that the STI/SVI guns have. 

Since you really have a Para, get the one labeled for a Para if you decide to get a thumb rest that requires you to drill and tap the frame. If it were me I would go with the slide stop/release thumb rest to avoid the frame cracking issue that seems fairly well documented with Paras thinner dust covers.

49 minutes ago, dirty5thirty said:

yes it is for a para 2011 p 16

Para has that thin dustcover. You only get a couple threads worth in the shallow holes. You can do it but it will probably crack. The holes in the picture were for a optic mount on an open gun. It cracked. I found out at the 2014 Nationals :( Welding/Brazing/Soldering material onto the frame to reinforce it could work. Or try the Nitrofin as DH suggests.

Later,

Chuck

PS: P-16 is not a 2011 ;)

2 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

Other than the price difference, I would highly recommend the Nitro Fin. Here are a couple of lousy cell phone images that I just snapped to show what it looks like, Seriously, this could not have been easier:

iFlkZ73.jpg?2

39hal6Q.jpg?2

Oh nice I kinda like that 

3 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

Other than the price difference, I would highly recommend the Nitro Fin. Here are a couple of lousy cell phone images that I just snapped to show what it looks like, Seriously, this could not have been easier:

39hal6Q.jpg?2

Very nice!

What is your left safety?  Looks wider than normal...  Is the right safety the same shape?

On 3/10/2018 at 2:42 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Very nice!

What is your left safety?  Looks wider than normal...  Is the right safety the same shape?

It is an Ed Brown Wide Machined Ambi Thumb Safety. The right side has been significantly trimmed with a smoothed angle as well.

Not the best angle on this picture, but you get the idea:

prJII6a.jpg

25 minutes ago, Doublehelix said:

It is an Ed Brown Wide Machined Ambi Thumb Safety. The right side has been significantly trimmed with a smoothed angle as well.

prJII6a.jpg

I have the exact same safety, didn't think to trim down the right side... thank you great idea!!

44 minutes ago, Doublehelix said:

prJII6a.jpg

Thanks!

Nice job on the trimming...  Looks factory!

19 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks!

Nice job on the trimming...  Looks factory!

I wish I could say I did it! I have a great local smith that does incredible work. I bought the gun used, and both sides of the ambi safety had been ground down, and it was a "bit rough" to put it politely. I ride the left side safety with my strong hand thumb, so I like the wide Ed Brown safeties.

On 3/15/2018 at 4:15 AM, Fo0 said:

Does the nitro fin style thumb rest fit 45acp?

It should not matter, but you should always confirm with the manufacturer.

The description on the Shooters Connection web site says it is for 1911/2011 guns. The pin is 0.199" in diameter, so as long as the pin fits, you should be GTG.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:22 PM, Doublehelix said:

It should not matter, but you should always confirm with the manufacturer.

The description on the Shooters Connection web site says it is for 1911/2011 guns. The pin is 0.199" in diameter, so as long as the pin fits, you should be GTG.

emailed the manufacturer with no response.

all the descriptions for other makers claim 38super/9mm/10mm/.40 all use the same slide stop. 45acp is the only one that is different. so I assume the Nitro Fin is no different and they do not make another one for 45 acp

On 3/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, Fo0 said:

emailed the manufacturer with no response.

all the descriptions for other makers claim 38super/9mm/10mm/.40 all use the same slide stop. 45acp is the only one that is different. so I assume the Nitro Fin is no different and they do not make another one for 45 acp

You might be right then, sorry about that.

I was sort of guessing since they claim 1911 compatibility, I would have assumed that they would have added the disclaimer about not fitting for .45, but I may be wrong on that.