Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Grams spring and followers

tyman1876

I recently purchased 4 Grams springs and followers kits for my STI 2011 magazines. I shaved the tab off of each of them like they suggest and installed them in the magazines. The problem happens when the mag is getting close to full. The rounds start to nose dive just about every time. It consistently happens with all 4 mags. I ended up looking at the package and it appears that the item number is correct (FKS9-11 for 140mm STI/SV Mags) but the grams label says they are for EAA/Tanfoglio mags. Is there a chance I was sent the wrong followers? I have an email out to the company that I purchased them from but haven’t heard back yet. Here is a picture of the package.

da1a6ad1e5c64802f12502d613157c8c.jpg

I received an email back stating that they had received a few packages that were mislabeled but they believed they had them all fixed. Any chance someone has a picture of their STI mag with a grams follower in there that I could reference to mine?

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

I received an email back stating that they had received a few packages that were mislabeled but they believed they had them all fixed. Any chance someone has a picture of their STI mag with a grams follower in there that I could reference to mine?

Thanks in advance.

These are 9mm with spacers. Wasn’t sure if you were after 9mm or .40 which I can also provide but with MBX tubes. 

9A439DCD-BA6B-410C-87A1-7C32BB951312.jpeg

91756B85-6EDB-4A7B-8B75-44115B83A4C1.jpeg

D7C56011-2C2A-457E-AEAD-A3A6BC24A410.jpeg

D7525B6C-AD27-4522-BEE4-BFA8CAC0E25D.jpeg

57 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

Wow you’re quick. Thank you very much! I will compare your pictures to mine later when I get home.

Working on my draw to first post skillz!

No worries man. I’m adulting today on baby detail and had a break in the action/screaming. Let me know if you need any different angles or measurements. 

46 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Grams follower are also coded on the inside bottom, mine read "Grams S2" and some with "Grams S29" , these are for STI 9 with spacer :) dont know what it should be for tanfoglio? 

By god he’s right but mine reads “Grams-S92” not “..29.” Maybe the new engraving programer they hired was dyslexic?

9F1B273B-65A2-4912-B2FF-C1A915E0B699.jpeg.f20b3f08d361f346de9eea4f281c372f.jpeg

ETA: @NoKimberDave do you have Grams followers in your tanfo mags? Mind taking one apart and seeing what is engraved?

Edited by SlappyMcTrigger

4 minutes ago, SlappyMcTrigger said:

By god he’s right but mine reads “Grams-S92” not “..29.” Maybe the new engraving programer they hired was dyslexic?

9F1B273B-65A2-4912-B2FF-C1A915E0B699.jpeg.f20b3f08d361f346de9eea4f281c372f.jpeg

Ops, i'm sorry, mine reads the same Grams S2-9 as yours :) got it mixed up from the short trip of magazine pouch to my tablet :D 

Your problems with the last round flipping over, i think could be from the last/first round going past the indentation ribs on the side of your magazine, maybe download one round and see what happens? 

Edited by Grendel

Little update. I included my phone number in my original email and received a call from Bevin (I think that’s how you spell his name) from Grams about an hour ago. He was extremely helpful. First off he mentioned that there was a packaging issue for a little while that they thought they had resolved but apparently there was still a few out there. He said the correct number on the bottom of my follower for 9mm in STI mags is S92.

He gave me quite a few good suggestions to try and remedy the problem but ultimately said that the most common problem is out of spec STI mag tubes. Which from what I’ve read online doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility.

He was a super cool dude and very helpful. Offered for me to call him back with any questions when I have the mags in front of me.

Those dummy rounds in the clear container in your picture, are they what your'e testing with? They look a little long, could that be the culprint? 

Mine 9mm STI magazines with spacer accept hollow point rounds up to 1.122. Col (Los 124 HP)  - depending on bullet maker sometimes shorter :)