Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom ULW Complete Upper

I just ordered a PSA PX9 BIllet complete lower last night and I'm looking at picking up this upper for use in USPSA and a lil bit of 3Gun (only 1 of the 2 clubs I shoot at for 3gun allows PCC).

Should I order the ramped barrel version?  Looking at the 14" carbon fiber hand guard version.

If not this upper is there something else I should be looking at in the $400-600 range?

Thanks

7 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I just ordered a PSA PX9 BIllet complete lower last night and I'm looking at picking up this upper for use in USPSA and a lil bit of 3Gun (only 1 of the 2 clubs I shoot at for 3gun allows PCC).

Should I order the ramped barrel version?  Looking at the 14" carbon fiber hand guard version.

If not this upper is there something else I should be looking at in the $400-600 range?

Thanks

It's the version I got, along with the Carbon Fiber handguard.  Still shaking it out (it's winter out here, and cold), but so far it looks good.

Thanks.  Can I ask what ammo/loads you're using?

I load 147gr Xtremes for my 9mm guns already but don't think that is the right load especially for some of the farther shots in 3gun.

Thinking 115 or 124gr instead will be with Titegroup.

Taccom + good pick, I've got the ramped barrel,  BUTyou have to relieve the bottom of the 9mm bolt your going to use, IF you don't use their 99m bolt.... Since your getting their upper you should be good to go.

Edited by mike NM
6 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Yah their complete upper comes with the BCG.  I will go with the ramped barrel.

Now to just figure out what to do about ammo.

A lot of info on PCC ammo.  I use 147gr round nose behind 3.0gr of Titegroup.  Flat, smooth shooting with a 143PF.  I initially shot 147gr with 2.5Gr of Titegroup for a 133pf but It felt sluggish and I felt as though i was outrunning the gun.

10 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Thanks.  Can I ask what ammo/loads you're using?

I load 147gr Xtremes for my 9mm guns already but don't think that is the right load especially for some of the farther shots in 3gun.

Thinking 115 or 124gr instead will be with Titegroup.

My Taccom upper didn't seem to like 147 gr heads, and was much happier with the 124 gr ones.  I'll be using VV N320, but Titegroup should work well too.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any ballpark load for this barrel for say a 125g coated, and a 115 JHP?    I'm trying to get some step loads made up for when it comes in, have a match this weekend and need to chrono and get the load right.   I'm assuming it may be more powder than I'm currently running, although my JP 14.5" barrel is on the slower side.

For my Taccom ULW barrel I have two different loads I run on a regular basis.

125 gr BBI coated RN over 4.0 gr N-320 for 1085 fps (135.6 PF).       Same load out of a 16" barrel is 1140 fps (142.5 PF)

147 gr Xtreme plated RN over 3.3 gr N-320 for 895 fps (131.6 PF).        Same load out of a 16" barrel is 990 fps (145.5 PF)

Sorry, nothing on 115 gr bullets,

4 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

125 gr BBI coated RN over 4.0 gr N-320 for 1085 fps (135.6 PF).       Same load out of a 16" barrel is 1140 fps (142.5 PF)

147 gr Xtreme plated RN over 3.3 gr N-320 for 895 fps (131.6 PF).        Same load out of a 16" barrel is 990 fps (145.5 PF)

Hmm, If I remember correctly I think I get a  little more pep out of Titegroup than  I did with n320 on my loads.    I'm currently using TG and like to sit around 130-133pf,  ill start at 3.6 and go up to 4.0g and see how they all come out through the chrono,  thanks!

I just got my Taccom upper in, it feels like a toy compared to my standard railed 223 upper in a good way.  This thing is super light.

My lower should hit my FFL tomorrow and my C-More will show up tomorrow as well.  Hope to hit the range the following weekend with some test loads.  Going to use 124gr Xtremes first.  I don't think 147gr will work at longer 3gun ranges but I have a bunch loaded so I will try them out as well.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I don't think 147gr will work at longer 3gun ranges but I have a bunch loaded so I will try them out as well.

For 3 gun (UML) so far the best loads for accuracy at distance have been 124 gr MG JHP and 121 gr MG IFP at 1075 to 1150 fps.   Winchester 147 gr JHP subsonic LE ammo gave me consistent 2" groups but it looks like Winchester no longer offers this exact load. 

Coated bullets and plated bullets gave me 6" plus groups at 100 yards.  This is with the Taccom ULW barrel.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
50 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I just got my Taccom upper in, it feels like a toy compared to my standard railed 223 upper in a good way.  This thing is super light.

My lower should hit my FFL tomorrow and my C-More will show up tomorrow as well.  Hope to hit the range the following weekend with some test loads.  Going to use 124gr Xtremes first.  I don't think 147gr will work at longer 3gun ranges but I have a bunch loaded so I will try them out as well.

It will look a lot like this.

Aero Slickside upper, Taccom Buffer, Taccom Carbon Fiber Handguard, Taccom ULW Ramped Barrel, Taccom Extreme Bolt, C-more, PSA Gen3 lower & Hiperfire 24C

new pcc (2).jpg

Edited by stick

Looks nice.  I am probably going to pick up a Hiperfire for mine as well.

Going to function check the upper firer with the dreaded milspec PSA trigger first then start swapping things around.

Thanks Flatland I might have to pick up some JHP's for the longer stuff and find a load for the plated that will shoot close enough zero. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Thanks Flatland I might have to pick up some JHP's for the longer stuff and find a load for the plated that will shoot close enough zero. 

That's what I do.  Long range I use the JHP loaded kind of hot and 147 gr plated RN for everything within 40 yards or so.  Also loaded up a handful of 160 gr RN for the occasional spinner.

15 hours ago, jtrump said:

Anyone have any ballpark load for this barrel for say a 125g coated, and a 115 JHP?    I'm trying to get some step loads made up for when it comes in, have a match this weekend and need to chrono and get the load right.   I'm assuming it may be more powder than I'm currently running, although my JP 14.5" barrel is on the slower side.

Just chrono'ed our 115gr SNS casting load for Taccom ULW upper. Would guess it would be close. 3.2gr Titegroup @ 1.12OAL gave me 130PF. We both shoot these out of her Taccom barrel & my JP 14.5 pinned barrel. Super accurate, she hit the 6" plate rack at 80 yards with no problem. Zeroed @ 25yds. Shoots pretty much flat out to that distance.  i have shot them out to 100 yards.

gerritm

4 hours ago, gerritm said:

Just chrono'ed our 115gr SNS casting load for Taccom ULW upper. Would guess it would be close. 3.2gr Titegroup @ 1.12OAL gave me 130PF. We both shoot these out of her Taccom barrel & my JP 14.5 pinned barrel. Super accurate, she hit the 6" plate rack at 80 yards with no problem. Zeroed @ 25yds. Shoots pretty much flat out to that distance.  i have shot them out to 100 yards.

gerritm

Ok this is interesting,  3.2g of TG the only difference I can see is the oal.  

3.5g TG  @1.135 with a 115g BBI gives me 131pf from my 14.5 JP pinned and welded.  Do I have the slowest barrel JP made?   I am using .356 diameter bullets and a slightly longer oal

which isn’t gonna play that huge of a role in it.   For 115 JHP I’m using 3.9g to get 130pf on the nose @1.145 oal.

43 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Ok this is interesting,  3.2g of TG the only difference I can see is the oal.  

3.5g TG  @1.135 with a 115g BBI gives me 131pf from my 14.5 JP pinned and welded.  Do I have the slowest barrel JP made?   I am using .356 diameter bullets and a slightly longer oal

which isn’t gonna play that huge of a role in it.   For 115 JHP I’m using 3.9g to get 130pf on the nose @1.145 oal.

Seems like we are all over the board.  I'm using SNS coated bullets....

I run 3.4 TG with 125 to get 130-135.   It has a good snap for dot return.

Personally, I found that with a 147 you can go well under 3.0 grains of TG and still make PF, but anything under it is just sluggish.  I'm not really concerned about PF anymore knowing this.  3.0/147 is soft 3.4/135 is a nice, manageable snap.  Both run well in and make PF in the ULW and 16" barrel.  Done and done.

Edited by longbeard
5 hours ago, L9X25 said:

No Sir, I believe I have that distinction.

My 115gr load was 4.6 grains with a 115 FMJ @ 1.160

Interesting results back from the range.

115 jhp @ 1.145 with 4.3g TG Made 133pf

same load at 3.9g in jp barrel.

135g bayous at 1.135 and 3g TG made 130pf

same load in JP 132pf

3.5g BBI @ 1.135 128pf

Jp barrel was a 133

so not as dramatic as I expected.  Like the new barrel, much louder hehe.

gun handles great at 5lbs 11oz

the recoil impulse is over before you even knew it happened.  I like the feeling! 

Edited by jtrump
Spelling
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 3:36 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

That's the same projectiles and powder I'm using(BBI/N320) with my 16 inch Faxon Barrel. I'm considering purchasing the ULW Barrel. What oal did you use to get those results?

FYI I'm running 125gr BBI over 3.3gr N320 @ 1.085 oal to get 135pf on a 16" Faxon barrel.

Edited by alvinsmith75
2 minutes ago, alvinsmith75 said:

That's the same projectiles and powder I'm using(BBI/N320) with my 16 inch Faxon Barrel. I'm considering purchasing the ULW Barrel. What oal did you use to get those results?

The 16" barrel has not been throat reamed so I need to load short.  The Xtreme plated 147 RN are at 1.085" and the Blue Bullets coated 125 gr RN are at 1.100".

13 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

The 16" barrel has not been throat reamed so I need to load short.  The Xtreme plated 147 RN are at 1.085" and the Blue Bullets coated 125 gr RN are at 1.100".

Understood.  I'm trying to figure out how we are so far off from each other on fps and power factor using almost identical specs.  The following is my data from my short throated 16" Faxon barrel loaded at 1.085" oal.  I'm using 3.3gr or N320 compared to your 4.0gr and only 7pf difference.  I achieve the same PF as you with only 3.5gr of N320.

N320 3.3gr, 125 BBI 1105/1057hi-lo   1083fps 135pf
N320 3.5gr, 125 BBI 1142/1122hi-lo 1132fps 142pf

Like many others I chronographed 124s out of a KV 16 inch barrel and obtained a PF of 128.

The load was a 124 grain RN over 3.2 grains of N320 seated to 1.120 inches. PF was 128 on a cold day. Avg. FPS was 1035 if memory serves.