Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Notebook To Get?

Need some help from y'all on which notebook to get. I'm looking at the Gateway 360 series.

http://gateway.com/products/gconfig/prodhm...twym360&clv=Img

The major difference seems to be the processor and ram. The S has the celeron at 1.40 GHz, 400MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache and 256MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM.

The X has Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (1.70 GHz, 400MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache and 512MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (1-512MB module).

The computer will be used mostly for surfing the web and some word processing. I'm leaning towards the celeron but the sales dude said that going with the Pentium would probably be better in the long run to run more demanding programs in the future. Makes sense but I don't know if it's just another add on that he gets spiffed on or not.

Any thoughts either way?

If the prices are similar, the Pentium M-core chip is a better choice. The 512MB of RAM is also lots better than the measley 256MB in the Celeron. I like Dell's and Sony's in the PC notebook world, but the Gateway is an acceptable choice. Just don't get a HP notebook ;-)

Eric, you are going to have to have a paid Costco sponsorship if you keep this up. I think a couple of times in the last week, YOU BE the COSTCO MAN.

They must have earned a good customer with you.

Rick

Eric, you are going to have to have a paid Costco sponsorship if you keep this up.  I think a couple of times in the last week, YOU BE the COSTCO MAN. 

They must have earned a good customer with you.

Rick

Damned straight. ;) Where else on earth can you return electronics MONTHS after you buy it?! Costco HQ even went to bat for me when I got nailed with over $600 in fraudulent phone charges by WorldCom. You bet they get my biz.

Need some help from y'all on which notebook to get.  I'm looking at the Gateway 360 series. 

http://gateway.com/products/gconfig/prodhm...twym360&clv=Img

The major difference seems to be the processor and ram.  The S has the celeron at 1.40 GHz, 400MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache and 256MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM.

The X has Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (1.70 GHz, 400MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache and 512MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (1-512MB module).

The computer will be used mostly for surfing the web and some word processing.  I'm leaning towards the celeron but the sales dude said that going with the Pentium would probably be better in the long run to run more demanding programs in the future.  Makes sense but I don't know if it's just another add on that he gets spiffed on or not.

Any thoughts either way?

Just my $ .02 worth, but computers is something I know a little more about than guns. If you want a high end laptop you should get a Dell. If you want a low end laptop then your best deal is to check your weekly sale flyers for places like Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA and the like. When they have some of those big rebates on the lower to mid end laptops from manufacturers such as Toshiba, HP/Compaq, etc. it's hard for mail order places to compete.

If you really must go mail order Dell is the only way to go.

One other piece of advice, get the least memory you can order, and then buy more from www.crucial.com and install it yourself. You will save some money.

-Cuz.

Just my $ .02 worth, but computers is something I know a little more about than guns.  If you want a high end laptop you should get a Dell.  If you want a low end laptop then your best deal is to check your weekly sale flyers for places like Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA and the like.  When they have some of those big rebates on the lower to mid end laptops from manufacturers such as Toshiba, HP/Compaq, etc. it's hard for mail order places to compete.

If you really must go mail order Dell is the only way to go.

One other piece of advice, get the least memory you can order, and then buy more from www.crucial.com and install it yourself.  You will save some money.

-Cuz.

Hey Cuz,

I appreciate the advice but I had a bad experience with Dell. I purchased a laptop for school a while back and it was a lemon. Got the computer, ran a diagnostic and the hard drive was bad. I sent it back and they replaced the hard drive. I got it back and it turns out that the refurbished drive was defective also. Sent it back and got another hard drive. Got it back and this time the motherboard goes out on me. I'm past the 30 day trial period even though I have less than 100 keystrokes total. I ask for a refund after I get it back with 3 bad pixels no less, and they said no way. They'll just keep fixing whatever happens to it. I say that I need a reliable computer for school and that I can't keep going two weeks on end without it. They say they'll give me 2/3 of what I paid for it ($3000).

So, I was able to write 1 paper on it and it cost me $1000.

The laptop I'm typing this on is a Gateway that is the one I replaced the Dell with. It's a dinosaur (pentium 2, 233 mhz)but still going relatively strong.

Even the best companies put out lemons. It's how they deal with them that matters to IMO. Dell won't see another dime from me.

My usual recommendations are: IBM, Toshiba, Sager.

Sager is a lesser-known company that has some good deals and, last I checked, a good reputation.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

IBM, IMO, makes the best notebooks around (best looking, too), but they're a little pricey.

Toshiba has a great mid-line selection and good pricing.

I agree with Cuz on the RAM thing. If you order your own RAM from Crucial, you will save bunches of money. The manufacturers overcharge for the RAM and it's a piece of cake to install - most notebooks will have a door on the bottom with a single screw holding it closed. Open door, insert RAM, close door, done.

I actually asked a similiar question a few months back. There's no definitive answer on what to get. The general consensus and from what I've seen:

Dell notebooks are hit and miss, better to stay away from them.

Compaq & HP, stay away from those too.

Toshiba are maybes.

Alienware is big $$$.

I do have a friend who bought one notebook from Costco many years ago. Every few years, something would happen and he would take it back and get a new one on exchange. Since they no longer had the model he had because it was out of date, they replace it with a current one. But I think he said they change their policies to stop people from doing that.

Hey Cuz,

I appreciate the advice but I had a bad experience with Dell.  I purchased a laptop for school a while back and it was a lemon.  Got the computer, ran a diagnostic and the hard drive was bad.  I sent it back and they replaced the hard drive.  I got it back and it turns out that the refurbished drive was defective also.  Sent it back and got another hard drive.  Got it back and this time the motherboard goes out on me.  I'm past the 30 day trial period even though I have less than 100 keystrokes total.  I ask for a refund after I get it back with 3 bad pixels no less, and they said no way.  They'll just keep fixing whatever happens to it.  I say that I need a reliable computer for school and that I can't keep going two weeks on end without it.  They say they'll give me 2/3 of what I paid for it ($3000). 

So, I was able to write 1 paper on it and it cost me $1000.   

The laptop I'm typing this on is a Gateway that is the one I replaced the Dell with.  It's a dinosaur (pentium 2, 233 mhz)but still going relatively strong. 

Even the best companies put out lemons.  It's how they deal with them that matters to IMO.  Dell won't see another dime from me.

Wow,

Sorry to hear that. I can certainly see why they won't get any more of your hard earned money. I have always had great luck with them so I stick with them until they prove otherwise. But, I can tell you that If I'd been treated like that I'd be setting up some "DellSucks.com" web sites to make sure everyone knew what they did.

Good luck with your new laptop, what ever it may be.

-Cuz.

Non-scientific opinion: My guts have been telling me that IBM is a decent way to go. Money is not particularly an object... I just want the thing to perform and not be a liability (at ANY price)....... and I'm not especially needing a laptop at the moment, but am doing research.

IBM notebooks aren't. It's been bought by the Chinese firm Lenovo, and the purchase included the rights to use the IBM name on the products for a few years.

I guess the moral of the Dell lemon experience posted earlier is to not let Dell fix a machine if it's within the money back return period, unless Dell will agree in writing to extend the money back period for 30 days beyond the repair. (whcih I doubt will happen).

I'm typing this on a Dell. Honestly, after buying this laptop, I wouldn't buy a Dell toaster oven. I got burned by the 30 days thing and in order to get something that worked, I ended up buying TWO laptops, building a working one out of the collective parts, then returning all the defective parts as a separate laptop.

Costco's return policy, IIRC, is 6 months now. That's 5 months better than everybody else.

• 5 months later...

I really like my new Gateway Tablet (convertable 14"widescreen) but didn't like the way it was sold to me.

If I could do it all over again my new and first laptop would have been an IBM/Lenovo Z-60M.

If I get the zip file documents I want, the Gateway will be the right choice for me.

IBM/Lenovo is the only laptop that will retain any resale value; at least at this point in history.

JMHO

FM

Edited by Front Man

I've seen good and bad from just about everybody so these days I just put together a list of what I want:

Big bright screen

Lots of memory

Fast Disk

Bluetooth

802.11b/g

Lots of USB/firewire

VGA/DVI/S-Video

Big Battery

etc.

and then find the best deal I can w/ those componets. On laptops I recommend the extended warranties and I find it best to go local because many times a Costco/BestBuy/OfficeDepot/CompUSA will accept a return/exchange with no questions asked where ordering direct from Dell or Gateway will just cause hassles. Retails outlets know how to deal with merchandise and a receipt.

I couldn't believe Bluetooth wasn't even available for my new Gateway Tablet.

I outfiited it with the largest battery they had and would higly recommend up grading to a large battery for any laptop. The large battery increased ventilation, enhanced keyboard ergonomics and makes for a nice carrying handle.

FM

Edited by Front Man

The general consensus and from what I've seen:

Mostly miss. The IT department at my employer refers to them as the "Dell full employment act." :wacko:

They'll have to pry my ThinkPad from my cold, dead fingers...

Apple/Win dual boot??

----------------------

Apple notebook using Intel Robson cache technology may be launched this month

Hans Wu & Danny Kuo, Taipei; Esther Lam, DigiTimes.com [Thursday 5 January 2006]

Although Intel only demonstrated its Robson cache technology in the fourth quarter of last year, sources now claim that Apple Computer will launch a notebook computer in the middle of this month that utilizes the NAND flash based cache memory technology.

The sources did not say which line of Apple notebooks would implement the technology, and Apple Taiwan was not available for comment at the time of publication.

Robson cache technology relies on NAND flash instead of a traditional hard disk drive (HDD) for starting up a computer or launching frequently used applications, and thus is able to significantly improve the computer’s boot up time, as well as battery life. Intel demonstrated the technology with a Centrino-based notebook during the Intel Developer Forum Taipei in October 2005.

A report in Computer World cited Mooly Eden, vice president and general manager of Intel's mobile platform group, as saying that power consumption should be minimized by using a NAND flash storage device, as it does not require a motor to spin the drive.

According to industry observers, there are three possible ways Apple can deploy Robson technology in its notebook. The most convenient way would be to equip the device with a NAND flash disk on module (DOM) that would plug into an ATA slot.

Another method would be a combination memory solution, whereby Robson is deployed on the HDD. HDD makers would provide an addition density area that would be assigned to NAND flash.

The last solution, which is also the most direct solution, is to embedded the Robson-flash into a chipset or create an additional slot on the motherboard for such memory. However, this solution would involve the motherboard and chipset makers, so observers doubt the possibility.

The general consensus and from what I've seen:

Mostly miss. The IT department at my employer refers to them as the "Dell full employment act." :wacko:

They'll have to pry my ThinkPad from my cold, dead fingers...

We have thousands (maybe 15-20K?) of laptops, and have been through most of the bigger brands, we use one, then switch to another.. I'm guessing the purchasing guys get $10 off some model..

I think, personally, I've had the best luck with the Dell's, as long as it wasn't installed by the 'vanilla' police (basically they try to get every PC exactly the same, and load it up with software to help you - yea right). Toshiba's were good, Compaq's very iffy (keyboards failures).. my all time worst: IBM.. I have a pile of them in a store room, nobody likes them, but one guy who now uses 4 of them..

If I was going to buy one for personal use.. I'd buy a Dell.. they have some quirks, but have stood up pretty well. I think we're using 600s and 610s now. Cheap, and in 1-2 years, you can throw (recycle) them away - by then you'll want a new one anyway. Never buy the high-end, by a generation back. - but then, I'm one cheap SOB.

We all tend to hate the equipment that gave us that one big failure. If you used one and it was a lemon, it's history.