Mark 7 Evolution and Revolution

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

I have Evolution Pro off of the assembly line. Consumer model. I've loaded over 2000 rounds with it already. I'd be happy to answer any questions about what it comes with or how it works

Would love serious thoughts and feelings on it vs Dillons offerings.

Currently I have 2 1050’s (one large one small primer) and a 650 for short load sessions.

Also an RF for primers

I have 6 conversions for the 1050 and brass processing... the 650 loads 9/45/38

Thoughts on if getting rid of all items for 1 Evolivtuon full ready to roll with caliber conversions makes sense... Also cost wise, what does the delta look like for this... I do not want an auto drive (right now) but... Mark 7 seems to have a lot of upgrades/sensors/etc... I am just not sure I truly need.

Thoughts and opinions... is this even worth thinking about doing?  I’m all for clearing up space on my bench:)! Having a more superior machine, etc...

5 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

I have Evolution Pro off of the assembly line. Consumer model. I've loaded over 2000 rounds with it already. I'd be happy to answer any questions about what it comes with or how it works

How about a review/introduction with a video if it is not too much trouble. I should have my Evolution Pro in August hopefully.

Questions right off the bat:

-- How easy is it to adjust powder?

-- Standard primer tubes work?

-- "Once fired" brass works easily or not, someone said it had issues but that was with a Revolution?

Thanks in advance.

@SSGJohnV

Watched your facebook live feed, it was great thanks!  I wasn't able to watch it live though.

Questions:

So the case feeder, is it a hornady then?  

Does the set up come with primer filler tubes?  (if it does or does not, is no issue for me really I'd just use a vibraprime for now)

Does it come with a tube or funnel for the spot where rounds drop out?  I've seen the revolution does, but if these Evolutions don't then I'd either buy their thing or fashion my own.  Plenty of ways to solve that.

Thanks so much for these updates!  I'm probably later on your pre-order list, I ordered it April 10 from you guys.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:09 PM, Face5535 said:

Would love serious thoughts and feelings on it vs Dillons offerings.

Currently I have 2 1050’s (one large one small primer) and a 650 for short load sessions.

Also an RF for primers

I have 6 conversions for the 1050 and brass processing... the 650 loads 9/45/38

Thoughts on if getting rid of all items for 1 Evolivtuon full ready to roll with caliber conversions makes sense... Also cost wise, what does the delta look like for this... I do not want an auto drive (right now) but... Mark 7 seems to have a lot of upgrades/sensors/etc... I am just not sure I truly need.

Thoughts and opinions... is this even worth thinking about doing?  I’m all for clearing up space on my bench:)! Having a more superior machine, etc...

Putting the machines side by side, or having experience with the 1050 you can start to see the differences and where the focus was when they were developing this machine.

Almost 100% machined parts, not cast.

Smoother, more tuneable index.

More stations.

Better/smoother/more controlled primer system. No linkage behind the primer slide to get janky.

If you have that much investment in Dillon products I would give it some serious thoughts. It takes about 15 minutes to change calibers, from what I understand, but it's pretty straight forward. Tool heads and powder measures would be the biggest investments.

As a manual machine the ability to run it from either side, more stations, and just beefier machine would be the benefits. You also have the capability to plug-and-play automate it in the future. There are some sensors you can use with the manual machine, too, I believe.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:08 PM, tanks said:

How about a review/introduction with a video if it is not too much trouble. I should have my Evolution Pro in August hopefully.

Questions right off the bat:

-- How easy is it to adjust powder?

-- Standard primer tubes work?

-- "Once fired" brass works easily or not, someone said it had issues but that was with a Revolution?

Thanks in advance.

The powder measure is a beast, and is easy to adjust the powder. Lock nut to lock it down with a lock washer. Loosen it just a touch to have more tension on the adjustment knob and fine tune your powder adjustment. Easier to check your powder drop, too, by just putting a case under the funnel and manually activating it to drop powder and measure it.

Standard primer tubes work great. I'm still using some Dillon tubes. The machine came with 1 tube. Hornady, I think?

I have had no problems with once fired or new brass. Use case lube, which I always do anyway. Makes the machine run smoother and you can set the clutch to a lower setting. Hornady One Shot in the case feeder and rock and roll.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:45 PM, jcwallace84 said:

@SSGJohnV

Watched your facebook live feed, it was great thanks!  I wasn't able to watch it live though.

Questions:

So the case feeder, is it a hornady then?  

Does the set up come with primer filler tubes?  (if it does or does not, is no issue for me really I'd just use a vibraprime for now)

Does it come with a tube or funnel for the spot where rounds drop out?  I've seen the revolution does, but if these Evolutions don't then I'd either buy their thing or fashion my own.  Plenty of ways to solve that.

Thanks so much for these updates!  I'm probably later on your pre-order list, I ordered it April 10 from you guys.

The case feeder is a modifed Hornady, yes. They have made some upgrades to make it run smoother. I have experience with the Hornady and it is a definite upgrade from the base Hornady offering.

It comes with 1 primer filler tube. Standard Hornady or Dillon tubes will work with the primer system. The tube will look familiar to Dillon owners. The lower part is much simpler and easier to get to, clean, and remove if needed.

It does not come with a funnel for the round drop. It does come with a larger Akro bin for about 200 rounds of 9mm. I plan on getting a funnel set up for it here soon.

1 hour ago, SSGJohnV said:

Standard primer tubes work great. I'm still using some Dillon tubes. The machine came with 1 tube. Hornady, I think?

Great that means my RF-100 tube should work.Got a YouTube video up yet? ;) 

9 minutes ago, tanks said:

Great that means my RF-100 tube should work.Got a YouTube video up yet? ;) 

I plan on putting together a better quality video going over it's features in the next week. Between work, training, training OTHER people, etc it can be a pain to plan to film quality content. Be on the lookout!

Got my Revolution today, holy crap is it ever a nice machine. 

So far I've set the decapping die up, case flare, powder measure and bullet drop. I have to finish a run on my 1050 before I swap out the seat and crimp dies to the Revo, going to bed now after simply watching the machine run for a few hours.

Just want to say thank you to everyone who has asked, and especially answered questions about the new MK 7 presses.  It is not an insignificant investment for me but, if all that I learn continues to be positive, I will have two Evolutions on my bench by next year.  I am going to keep a Star machine that my Bullseye and Service Rifle shooting mentor gave me.  I will keep it and several toolheads for calibers that I load less often and in smaller quantities.  I can still easily crank out a thousand rounds of those cartridges in less than two hours.

I am headed over to YouTube now to check for new videos about the Evolution.  Some serious changes are happening here though.  I stunned my wife yesterday when I carried in my first box of Star stuff for her to eBay.  The first of it started last night and my Star / Mike Dillon .223 "Super Star" goes up tonight.  A few weeks of this and I'll be calling MK 7 or a stocking dealer with my debit card.

Thanks again.

Bob

On 6/16/2018 at 9:53 AM, SSGJohnV said:

Thanks for all the feedback already.

Question: How do you have your tool head setup? What dies in what positions/etc.? Thanks!

on the Revo the priming really is as easy as it looks, turn on the primer vibe and start up the machine. I primed 100 cases last night to test it out, and not a single issue (I know, only 100). I love just dumping in the primers and forgetting about them.

I'm not sure where I will put the sizing die. I'm going to be running a Mighty Armory decap die in the first spot, even though my brass is all processed.  Better safe than sorry. A stripped sizing die above the swage or maybe just a regular hold down die and then the sizing die above the primer station? so many choices. 
I do love having the flaring die right before the incredible powder measure.

16 hours ago, ddc said:

Thanks for all the feedback already.

Question: How do you have your tool head setup? What dies in what positions/etc.? Thanks!

You're very welcome. For loading BRASS cases my tool head is the following

1. mighty armory decap die

2. mighty armory swage hold down and swage

3. resize (stripped Lee resize die) and primer

4. expand (Lee universal flaring die with Mr Bullet Feeder Insert)

5. powder.

6. empty (laser powder sense when it comes out)

7. Mr Bullet Feeder

8. Lee seating die

9. Lee factory crimp die

For loading SHELL SHOCK cases, which I use in 9mm major, my tool head changes slightly:

1. mighty armory decap

2. shell shock resizing die with the decap pin removed (it acts as a swage hold down and resizes the cases at the same time)

3. mighty armory hold down die (same as the swage die. not absolutely required, but I prefer to use it that way)

4. - 9 same as brass

16 hours ago, sardo67 said:

how does that priming system work, do you guys like it and is it as easy as it looks?

The priming system works similar to the 1050 with the rocker arm and adjustment post and such. Where it differs is in how the slide is constructed and actuated.

There are two helical springs that keep tension on the primer slide at all times. It is very positive with its movement and indexing. So far the only issues I've had with it are when I was testing it at Max RPH (2500) with primers in the tube. With no case to accept it there is a small chance the primer could jump, causing a jam. Although, with the way the priming system is set up clearing a jam is very easy. There is no linkage on the back of the primer slide like on the 1050 and the primer tube comes out with three screws for cleaning. The primer tube has a metal tip on the bottom, as well, and I have had no primer feed issues after about 3,000 rounds.

I'm loving the priming system, to put it bluntly.

12 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

6. empty (laser powder sense when it comes out)

Hmmm, I had not realized that powder sense was not out yet for the Evolution Pro. I had ordered it with mine, I wonder if that would delay shipment. I guess I will have to give them a call.

10 minutes ago, tanks said:

Hmmm, I had not realized that powder sense was not out yet for the Evolution Pro. I had ordered it with mine, I wonder if that would delay shipment. I guess I will have to give them a call.

its at the annodizer - should have it next week

Mark 7

Edited by Nigels1911

4. expand (Lee universal flaring die with Mr Bullet Feeder Insert)

Do you have a link to the MBF insert for the Lee flaring die? Took a look around but my google-fu is weak today.

4 hours ago, ddc said:

Do you have a link to the MBF insert for the Lee flaring die? Took a look around but my google-fu is weak today.

It's just the flaring insert that comes with the MBF. You get one with the press, I believe. All you do is replace the flaring insert that comes in the Lee sigh the MBF one. Or, you can just use the Lee as is, I believe. 

1 hour ago, SSGJohnV said:

It's just the flaring insert that comes with the MBF. You get one with the press, I believe. All you do is replace the flaring insert that comes in the Lee sigh the MBF one. Or, you can just use the Lee as is, I believe. 

Maybe I misunderstand. Does the die take the same flaring funnel that MBF provides for the Dillon powder measure?

8 hours ago, ddc said:

Maybe I misunderstand. Does the die take the same flaring funnel that MBF provides for the Dillon powder measure?

Sorry if I was confusing. Yes, the Lee flaring die accepts the same flaring funnels as the Dillon powder measure. 

Sorry if I was confusing. Yes, the Lee flaring die accepts the same flaring funnels as the Dillon powder measure. 

You weren't confusing; I just wasn't making the connection. Thanks.