Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mag extensions

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

The MBX extensions I have sen here are not 100%. Not sure if it installation problems or something in the design being so long.

I have an MBX mini (47 rd) extension purchased around Thanksgiving.  For the first few months it ran 100% and got lots of use.

Last two outings it failed to feed the first 3 rounds when fully loaded.  Tried two different PCC's with the same results.

Sounds like it may be a spring problem?  They are Wolf springs and should last a season.

Its a good looking extension and I like how it breaks down for cleaning, but I need to figure this out before I will use it in another match.

17 hours ago, Sarge said:

I’d bet money on worn springs. Take them out and stretch to see if it helps. That won’t last but it will help in figuring things out.

Definitely worth a try.     Do you think running long springs in long extensions is harder on the springs than in shorter mags?  This one didn't really last all that long.

5 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Definitely worth a try.     Do you think running long springs in long extensions is harder on the springs than in shorter mags?  This one didn't really last all that long.

I would say it depends more on brand of spring, number of cycles etc. Could just be a bad spring. Could not be a spring problem at all but it sure sounds like it.

20 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I have an MBX mini (47 rd) extension purchased around Thanksgiving.  For the first few months it ran 100% and got lots of use.

Last two outings it failed to feed the first 3 rounds when fully loaded.  Tried two different PCC's with the same results.

Sounds like it may be a spring problem?  They are Wolf springs and should last a season.

Its a good looking extension and I like how it breaks down for cleaning, but I need to figure this out before I will use it in another match.

Unless it's just bad luck it isn't a spring problem.

The interiors of those particular magazine extensions seem to be a bit too tight. I had two that did just as you described. Both at the same match.

If you inspect the mag, with the plate off, you may see a build-up of polymer material in the bottom inside corners of the mag body. As this accumulates it builds up to the point where feeding will be slowed enough to stop altogether. It is so tight at that location that ammo, as it feeds up through, drags enough material up into the corners to cause the problem. 

I cleaned the bottom of the magazines out as best I could, even down to bare metal.

I’m running the MBX mini. As long as the mag is cleaned and lubed with dry Teflon about every 400 rounds, it runs flawlessly. If you push the round count up towards 500 or more rounds, it starts to not work. It’s set up on an ETS mag. 

7 minutes ago, jwilkinson6 said:

Has anyone used the taccom mag coupler with any success?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: Yes I have and do. If you use a 17 round Glock factory mag on top and a Glock 33 round factory mag on the bottom and reverse the springs so the spring connection never passes the joint it works 100% for me. I only load it to 47 rounds which is more than enough for the matches I shoot. Thanks, Eric

On 2/26/2018 at 5:49 PM, alanm said:

I’m running the MBX mini. As long as the mag is cleaned and lubed with dry Teflon about every 400 rounds, it runs flawlessly.

I shoot only Glock factory magazines and never thought of lubing the magazine tube.  Next time at the range I will give it a try.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
3 hours ago, stick said:

It will unless you're shooting the monster match.

I'm shooting the Rocky Mountain 300 in June.  5 stages all with a round count around 60.  I currently have some Glock big sticks with TF +12 base pads that hold 40-41 reliably, maybe 1-2 more as the springs break in, and G17 mags with TTI basepads that hold 23.  Even with starting with a 41 and reloading a 23, I'll be cutting it close if I have any makeup shots at this match.

2 minutes ago, 1981Shooter said:

I'm shooting the Rocky Mountain 300 in June.  5 stages all with a round count around 60.  I currently have some Glock big sticks with TF +12 base pads that hold 40-41 reliably, maybe 1-2 more as the springs break in, and G17 mags with TTI basepads that hold 23.  Even with starting with a 41 and reloading a 23, I'll be cutting it close if I have any makeup shots at this match.

Hello: Put those TTI base pads on some 33 round Glock mags and that will give you 36-37 rounds on the reload. So start with a big stick with 40 rounds and then reload to the 36 round little big stick. If you take three steps there is space to do a reload. Plan your stage and everything will be alright. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Put those TTI base pads on some 33 round Glock mags and that will give you 36-37 rounds on the reload. So start with a big stick with 40 rounds and then reload to the 36 round little big stick. If you take three steps there is space to do a reload. Plan your stage and everything will be alright. Thanks, Eric

That is the easy answer, but my reasoning behind wanting something that holds more to start with is that reloading with a 23rd mag is faster than reloading with a big stick.  I’ll probably just end up using my two 40’s on every stage and carry 1 or 2 of the 23’s for backup.

5 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

Having to start a stage with unloaded gun sucks, having to load to a 40+ mags sucks even more. Sometimes more isn’t always better. 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, RippSpeed said:

anyone found the solution to the mbx problems ??? My sons pcc has been nothing but problems with them 

What issues are you having? I'll be honest......normally, the issue is not with the extension, but rather the parent magazine. Try this once.....load 40 rounds.....if the first 5 rounds push up slow, then start to speed up......it's the magazine. Remember, these magazine were not designed to feed round thru the bottom of the magazine. Last year, I assembled 4 with my extension (TACCOM) and ended up going thru 6 mags to get 4 to work......the other 2, will never be anything more than a 33 round magazine (which is fine). I personally thing the MBX is not a bad designed set up.....I did things a little different, but over all the MBX is not bad. If I would do anything to an MBX, once on the parent magazine, I would duct tape the joint to just to strengthen the inter-phase between the mag and extension......needed? not sure......but for my own piece of mind I would, just like people did for the Nordic +18 PMAG extension back in the day.