Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mag extensions

I'm purchasing a gmr15 and trying to figure out which mag extensions are reliable on the 31 rnd glock mags. Taran, TF, ?

Has anyone had issues with them running reliably?

Edited by dhf

Experiences vary quite a bit. Someone some where has gotten each vendors extension to work for them. The flip-side is also true with failures to work. Be prepared to invest and experiment. Hopefully you'll hit a homerun with your first choice.

Bullet choice and your loaded OAL will factor in as well.

My own best experience is running the MBX Mega.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hello: I have used Arredondo, Dawson, TTI and Zev all +5/6 base pads on the 31 round Factory Glock magazines. I just use them with the stock spring and all a have been 100%. I also have a Taccom splice and a Taylor Freelance +10 that both needed to smooth out the transitions on the mags. For most stages the +5/6 base pads work just fine since they give me 36-37 rounds in the mags. For what I shoot here I don't see a need for the really long base pads that may give iffy results from what I have seen here. Thanks, Eric

Most of the Magazine extensions will require that you bevel the bottom of the follower and potentially bevel

the bottom edges of the magazine (depending on the brand and luck of the draw).  I have a TF+10 (41) that has been

100% after the aforementioned beveling and have  a Taccom extension that is also 100% for when I need 50+.

Regardless of the brand, you will likely have to do some minor polishing or beveling. 

And also scrape out the build-up of polymer in the bottom corners. If the extension is tight the ammo sometimes drags it up as it passes through the joint.

I use TF on my big sticks without any problems, and Dawson on my shorter classifier mags.

Thanks I appreciate the input.

Looks like a combination is probably best route to go. A big stick TF for steel heavy stages/matches. A couple +6's for regular stages. 

Anyone have any experience with the MBX mini's?  Mega seems like overkill.

I try to be prepared for anything so I have 10, 22, 32, 41, 56 & 64 rd magazines in my bag and they all work 100%.  

With that said, I use my TF extended Glock which holds 41 on 95% of the stages and keep a 22 on my belt as a spare.  

For me, the 41TF mag is big enough to cover any USPSA legal stage without having to reload and it is small enough that

I do not have to make any accomodation in my plan because of it's size/weight.  I only use the larger mags when going

to an "outlaw" style monster match where using the 41 would potentially mean a reaload.  The mags that are bigger than

41 can be cumbersome in certain situations, particularly the 64.   For classifiers I will start with the 10 or 22 and reload

into the 41, so that the large mag does not have to be dropped & cleaned.

29 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

I try to be prepared for anything so I have 10, 22, 32, 41, 56 & 64 rd magazines in my bag and they all work 100%.  

With that said, I use my TF extended Glock which holds 41 on 95% of the stages and keep a 22 on my belt as a spare.  

For me, the 41TF mag is big enough to cover any USPSA legal stage without having to reload and it is small enough that

I do not have to make any accomodation in my plan because of it's size/weight.  I only use the larger mags when going

to an "outlaw" style monster match where using the 41 would potentially mean a reaload.  The mags that are bigger than

41 can be cumbersome in certain situations, particularly the 64.   For classifiers I will start with the 10 or 22 and reload

into the 41, so that the large mag does not have to be dropped & cleaned.

They are Glock magazines and you clean them?

Yes, but rarely.

All kidding aside, my Glock extended magazine is never intentionally dropped and I do not clean it on a regular schedule unless it falls.  

Several of the other magazines I use are ETS.  While they also work 100% when clean, they do not tolerate any sand in them at all. 

A few grains of sand in my ETS mags = baby rattle.  

I particularly hate cleaning the extended mags and spliced mags.  

8 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

They are Glock magazines and you clean them?

Cleanliness is next to Marth Stewarliness. And, that's a good thing.

By-the way, I told a couple of friends about our new club here for the aged and infirm.

They suggested that I leave the forum. :lol:

I have TTI +6 mags on G17 tubes, Glock factory 33-rd, and ETS 31-rd with MBX Mini's.  They all work fine, with the exception that my ETS/MBX mags sometimes hang up at the extension when loading.  They run just fine in the gun, so the problem only happens when the follower is going down into the extension.  A friend who also as Mini's checked my beveling and said mine looked just like what he did, but I think he's using Glock tubes.  I'll probably take a tiny bit more off and see if that helps.

I have at least one of all the ones mentioned here and I actually followed the recommendations and read instructions, which for those that know me is a rare occurrence, They all work fine. the MBX makes cleaning a bit easier for that annual event. I clean them when stuff starts to grow out of the holes. The TTI and Dawsons go on the short tubes for classifiers and when things go really off track.

I am torn between the Taylor Freelance extension tube and the MBX mini or max tube.

I have TF's on my walther mags and like the quality of their product.

I like the way the MBX tubes assemble and hence are easier to clean and the fact you can see in their tube how many rounds you have loaded.

Both the mini MBX and the TF are priced about the same.

HMMMMMM? what to do, what to do?

Hello: It depends on how many rounds you need in your PCC. I find 36-40 is plenty for any USPSA pistol match. I do have a TF base pad that will hold 41 but I only load it to 39. The MBX extensions I have sen here are not 100%. Not sure if it installation problems or something in the design being so long. I am using Dawson, TTI, Arredondo and Zev base pads on the Glock Factory 33 round mags 95% of the time. Thanks, Eric