Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnetic Mag Retainer In Production...

chaserracer

7 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

If it was legal, he wouldn't have been moved to open. So no, it's not legal. Same with having an optic but you're not using the dot but instead using the iron sights (cowitness), it's still not legal in production. 

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Jesus! That’s not what the rule says!! The rule says mags can not be retained by magnetic means. It does NOT say magnets are illegal on the belt.

The rules do not allow optics in production so that’s a really poor analogy.

Absolutely correct

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Sarge said:

Jesus! That’s not what the rule says!! The rule says mags can not be retained by magnetic means. It does NOT say magnets are illegal on the belt.

The rules do not allow optics in production so that’s a really poor analogy.

This is where I think our rules get complicated.  If halfway through a match, the status quo as of now, is if you are seen with a magnet on your belt, two things are automatically assumed.  One, it’s been there the whole time.  Two, whether you did or not, you COULD have used it at anytime and therefore moved to open/limited.  Which, in comparison, you can keep a Barney mag in the front pocket while shooting single stack or production, but not moved to open/limited unless specifically seen use it after the audible start signal.  I’m on the side of keeping it honest, and if you can’t use it, don’t have it there.  Although I’m not sure an automatic move is necessary, I can see where it would be far easier enforced that way in lieu of giving warnings to keep up with.  And, let’s face it, we know very well there are people that will easily cross the line from gaming to cheating.  But Sarge makes a good point, I’m not aware of a rule or ruling that disallows them in writing.  Is there one?

35 minutes ago, Hammer002 said:

This is where I think our rules get complicated.  If halfway through a match, the status quo as of now, is if you are seen with a magnet on your belt, two things are automatically assumed.  One, it’s been there the whole time.  Two, whether you did or not, you COULD have used it at anytime and therefore moved to open/limited.  Which, in comparison, you can keep a Barney mag in the front pocket while shooting single stack or production, but not moved to open/limited unless specifically seen use it after the audible start signal.  I’m on the side of keeping it honest, and if you can’t use it, don’t have it there.  Although I’m not sure an automatic move is necessary, I can see where it would be far easier enforced that way in lieu of giving warnings to keep up with.  And, let’s face it, we know very well there are people that will easily cross the line from gaming to cheating.  But Sarge makes a good point, I’m not aware of a rule or ruling that disallows them in writing.  Is there one?

No. Magnets are not prohibited in Production.

From D4 #20”

Each magazine must be contained individually within the magazine

pouch. Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

No. Magnets are not prohibited in Production.

From D4 #20”

Each magazine must be contained individually within the magazine

pouch. Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means

Well, it's a bit contradictory and overthinking in a sense. If you can't use it to stay in that division, then it is prohibited. The key word is 'use'. Just having it on the belt and not 'use' it keeps you in prod division. If you can use it and still stay in production, then it is not prohibited, but it is not allowed as you will be removed from prod division. Yes, I admit the optics analogy was bad as the optics is clearly worded that it is not allowed where as this magnet issue is not clearly worded to where we had to ask for clarification. But now it is clear, not being able to use it in prod division means it is prohibited. 

Magnet used, not allowed

Magnet not used, allowed.

Like others have said, if there is a risk of accidental use of the magnet, why leave it there? It's just common sense. 

Edited by happygunner77

10 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Well, it's a bit contradictory and overthinking in a sense. If you can't use it to stay in that division, then it is prohibited. The key word is 'use'. Just having it on the belt and not 'use' it keeps you in prod division. If you can use it and still stay in production, then it is not prohibited, but it is not allowed as you will be removed from prod division. Yes, I admit the optics analogy was bad as the optics is clearly worded that it is not allowed where as this magnet issue is not clearly worded to where we had to ask for clarification. But now it is clear, not being able to use it in prod division means it is prohibited. 

Magnet used, not allowed

Magnet not used, allowed.

Like others have said, if there is a risk of accidental use of the magnet, why leave it there? It's just common sense. 

I .......:eatdrink:

Edited by Sarge

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 6:18 PM, Hammer002 said:

This is where I think our rules get complicated.  If halfway through a match, the status quo as of now, is if you are seen with a magnet on your belt, two things are automatically assumed.  One, it’s been there the whole time.  Two, whether you did or not, you COULD have used it at anytime and therefore moved to open/limited.  

I don't automatically assume that. I would only bump someone to open if I observed the magnet being used to hold a magazine. having a magnet is allowed. Using it is not (even in between stages). And it's ONLY a bump to open. There is no such thing as a bump to limited.