Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnetic Mag Retainer In Production...

chaserracer

Asking for you patience here and hoping to shed some light on an unclear (at least to me) subject...

If i use a Magnet on my belt (not attached to any mag pouches) to retain my "load and make ready" magazine, load the gun with it, eject that mag and swap it out with the magazine my last mag pouch (there are no mags on the magnet now and at any point while shooting the stage) am i still within the rules for Production?...I am being told i would be bumped to open since the COF technically starts at the "load and make ready" command and since i am then pulling a magazine from a magnet i am in violation of that rule.

I am more curious than anything - i know i don't gain any competitive advantage here, its mostly just a habit formed through dryfire and practice that id like to know if i need to change to not risk getting bumped out of my division.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, chaserracer said:

Asking for you patience here and hoping to shed some light on an unclear (at least to me) subject...

If i use a Magnet on my belt (not attached to any mag pouches) to retain my "load and make ready" magazine, load the gun with it, eject that mag and swap it out with the magazine my last mag pouch (there are no mags on the magnet now and at any point while shooting the stage) am i still within the rules for Production?...I am being told i would be bumped to open since the COF technically starts at the "load and make ready" command and since i am then pulling a magazine from a magnet i am in violation of that rule.

I am more curious than anything - i know i don't gain any competitive advantage here, its mostly just a habit formed through dryfire and practice that id like to know if i need to change to not risk getting bumped out of my division.

This was all i could find in the rule book...

Production Division
Each magazine must be contained individually
within the magazine pouch. Magazines may not be
retained through magnetic means.

This is a good question because it seems that somewhere in the past I read that all of the placement and pouch rules only applied to after the buzzer. For example I shoot single stack and my first pouch is questionable on location but I was told that aslong as I use that one for my make ready mag I was good.

1 minute ago, mwray said:

This is a good question because it seems that somewhere in the past I read that all of the placement and pouch rules only applied to after the buzzer. For example I shoot single stack and my first pouch is questionable on location but I was told that aslong as I use that one for my make ready mag I was good.

This is exactly what i was told at my local club as well...Just want to get this sorted before shooting a major match and getting a "surprise your shooting open" talk from the MD/RO

4 minutes ago, mwray said:

Mall mag pouches must be behind hip bone as per Appendix E3 of rules. RO shouldn’t start you if equipment is not in compliance. 

Mall mag pouches must be behind hip bone as per Appendix E3 of rules. RO shouldn’t start you if equipment is not in compliance. 

But it’s okay to put your Barney mag back in your pocket as long as you don’t pull it during the COF?

Just now, mwray said:

But it’s okay to put your Barney mag back in your pocket as long as you don’t pull it during the COF?

You can pull bRney mag from your front pocket if you want. Just can’t pull a mag from front pocket after buzzer. 

Just now, mwray said:

The answer to your question is "maybe". Use of pockets is covered in rule 5.2.4 best to read it as it is 2 paragraphs long...

5 minutes ago, mwray said:

How is that different from an empty mag pouch in front of the hip bone after the buzzer?

During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated

otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or

speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to

the compe

titor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose. Unless

specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, a competitor may

also carry additional magazines or speed loading devices in apparel

pocket(s) and retrieve and use them, providing that the

location of the

apparel pocket does not violate the requirements of Appendix D, Item

12 (subject to the provisions of Rule 6.2.5.1).

Should the division restrict the location of the magazines or speed

loading devices, carrying them in apparel pocket(s

) f

orward of the

restriction point

will be

allowed

providing they are not

removed from

the apparel pocket(s) between the “standby” command and the

command “ if clear, hammer down and holster”

(e.g.

– a magazine may

be retrieved from a front pocket to faci

litate loading before the start

signal or while unloading at the end of a COF without penalty. 

7 minutes ago, mwray said:

How is that different from an empty mag pouch in front of the hip bone after the buzzer?

Because Appendix E3 states where equipment can be placed and rule 5.2.4 specified when you can retrieve a magazine from your front pocket. 

1 minute ago, chaserracer said:

@ChuckS Are you in agreement that using the magnet to retain the make ready magazine is illegal as well?

The rule says magazines can not be retained by magnetic means. It doesn't say when so, no you can't use it.

And the magnet that you can't use had better be located according to the division requirements or the RO should not start you until you move the magnet that you can't use.

And let me be "that guy" today: There is no "Load and Make Ready" range command in USPSA... ;)

[mention=400]ChuckS[/mention] Are you in agreement that using the magnet to retain the make ready magazine is illegal as well?

According to the rules aslong as you don’t use it for mag retention after the standby command it’s okay.

Why mess with it?

It's only going to cause a distraction you don't need under match conditions.

Summary

If I'm your ro you won't be started until your EQUIPMENT is correct per the above stated rules.

Simply to much confusion for all involved to be messed with

23 minutes ago, mwray said:

because with the mag pouch being forward of legal position... on table starts with all mags on table you would gain a advantage in taking a mag from the table and putting it in the illegal pouch loading the gun with another mag and shooting the course with a reload from the questionable mag pouch if you follow this thinking

A year ago I asked Troy about a mag pouch that had a magnet it in and if it was legal for single stack. This was his response. Since both single stack and production say you can retain a mag by magnetic means I would say it applies to both. 

On Dec 18, 2016 5:15 PM, "Troy McManus" <mactiger@eatel.net> wrote:

Yes, that's correct.  However use of the magnet at any time will move you to Open.  It's not restricted to during the course of fire.  Ok to have it on your belt, but not ok to retain a magazine with it, period.

Troy

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 18, 2016, at 4:00 PM, Matt  wrote:

Hello Troy,

A shooter and I disagreed on if magazine pouches like this are allowed in single stack. My understanding is if it has a magnet and you use it during the course of fire your in open. Is this the correct way to apply the rule?

I am aware that Appendix 5D says "Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means."

because with the mag pouch being forward of legal position... on table starts with all mags on table you would gain a advantage in taking a mag from the table and putting it in the illegal pouch loading the gun with another mag and shooting the course with a reload from the questionable mag pouch if you follow this thinking

And at that moment you would be bumped to open. If you didn’t use it you should be fine

I asked this same question several years back, right after magnets became illegal in Production... while it is not against the rules to have a magnet on your belt, it is illegal to use it to retain a magazine (and a bad idea to leave it on your belt). Picture this, unloaded start, you grab mags and stuff in your pouches, one slips and sticks to the magnet, welcome to open...or you fumble them on a table/barrel/rocking chair/jack in the box, and one falls off the object and sticks to the magnet...welcome to open.

18 minutes ago, Kraj said:

A year ago I asked Troy about a mag pouch that had a magnet it in and if it was legal for single stack. This was his response. Since both single stack and production say you can retain a mag by magnetic means I would say it applies to both. 

On Dec 18, 2016 5:15 PM, "Troy McManus" <mactiger@eatel.net> wrote:

Yes, that's correct.  However use of the magnet at any time will move you to Open.  It's not restricted to during the course of fire.  Ok to have it on your belt, but not ok to retain a magazine with it, period.

Troy

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 18, 2016, at 4:00 PM, Matt  wrote:

Hello Troy,

A shooter and I disagreed on if magazine pouches like this are allowed in single stack. My understanding is if it has a magnet and you use it during the course of fire your in open. Is this the correct way to apply the rule?

I am aware that Appendix 5D says "Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means."

This is enough right here to confirm that I do not want to have a magnet on my belt in this division regardless of how the rules are read or interpreted by the individual. If the DNROI says no, well then it's a hard NO in my book.

Thanks to everyone for their your input!