Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to start ..... 223 or 308

Triemferent

I've been reloading 9mm for a short while on a  650XL, and want to start reloading rifle ammo as well.  Im wondering if one caliber is better (forgiving)  when learning to reload rifle ammo.  I only have one 308 rifle, whereas I have multiple 223 rifles.  When I go out, I mainly shoot paper at 100-300 yards and use a 223 rifles a lot more. I already have the components for both calibers but not sure where to start.   Do you guys have an opinion on which cartridge to start with?

I’d say 223 because you shoot it more. In rifle, I’ve only loaded 223 but I can’t imagine them being much different, especially at the distances you are shooting. If you decide on long distance precision, that’s a different animal and out of my wheelhouse. Lots of rifle folks should be posting to you shortly. I say go for it. Stick powders will be a thing you’ll have to deal with if that’s your type of powder. Polishing the funnel and slowing down helps with the powder bridging and changing to an RCBS, case activated powder dispenser I hears helps too. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also recommend loading the .223.  A powder I've found to measure pretty well is Benchmark.  I lube the cases with One Shot the same as I lube pistol cases.  Hornady 55 FMJ, 25.5 Benchmark, WSR primer, 2.20" OAL.  Rifle cases will grow in length after a few uses and will need to be checked and trimmed.  I you start loading a lot, I highly recommend the Giraud trimmer.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

1.  You shoot it more

2.  You have more rifles to shoot it

3.  brass is cheaper if you buy brass

4. bullets are cheaper

5. a pound of powder is a pound of powder but the .223 used just about half what a .308 uses so you get almost twice as many .223 rounds out of a pound of powder as you do .308 rounds

Lots of good powders for each.

I can personally recommend two ball powders that meter (out of a good powder measure) very consistently and provide accurate ammo.  BLC2 and H335.

You haven't been trimming 9MM cases, but at some point you will need to trim .223 brass, so be ready for that.  You won' need to do it every time you resize it, but, based on case length increasing every time you resize it at some point you'll need to trim.  No need to crimp .223 brass like you do 9MM brass.  I've never crimped reloads for my semi auto rifles, not in 40 plus years of reloading/shooting my own reloads.  Some people do crimp though, I just can't see a good reason for it.  If you decide to crimp then you have to insure all your brass is the same length so you may find yourself trimming more often to insure the amount of crimp on each round is the same.

You'll need that little tool for cleaning up the case mouth on the rifle brass (inside and outside - called a chamfering/deburring tool) so the base of the bullet doesn't get damaged when you insert/seat it into the case mouth/neck.

Have fun, be safe.

Another vote for .223. I just started buying all the necessary tools and equipment for .reloading .223. I had been  reloading9mm , 45 ACP and .308. Since I have more 5.56/.223 rifles than .308 and I shoot them more, I decided to start reloading.

I’ll be using H335 with Hornady 55 Gr FMJ bullets and WSR primers.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to create a thread just like this.

I load lots of pistol ammo but I want to start loading for rifle.

Like the OP I have a .223 and .308 rifle, but I think i want to start with .308.  It's a bolt gun and I want to use it for precision shooting, so it makes sense for me to start there (plus I have a ton of .223 surplus built up).

Once I get used to loading for .308 I assume the same rules would apply for .223???