Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The case for 9mm 2011's

matteekay

Hey folks,

I've been doing research on a possible 2011 build and, naturally, caliber is one of the primary questions. The advice I've seen given most often is to do a .40 S&W build. That makes sense, as you can power your rounds up or down to make major or minor depending on your needs.

That being said... I see a LOT of 9mm 2011's show up in the classifieds. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on why this is given that the prevailing notion is to build them in 40. Are people moving them to make room for a major gun? Or do they have a role outside of USPSA Limited, ie. 3-gun?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Bushing-barrel guns for IDPA ESP.

Fully decked Limited guns? As they said. Three-gunner’s weapon. There’s no minor/major power factor distinction.

+1 mostly 3Gun, but some are Steel Challenge & ESP.

Bushing barrel 2011 is a multi-sport player, I'd keep that in mind.  

Was on the fence myself and decided on a CK Thunder almost exactly like this one. A couple mbx mags from shooters connection and I’ve got a great gun for local steel matches or I could shoot minor at any uspsa matches that may pop up. Listen to the guys on this forum, they all know what they’re talking about.

New gun is sitting at my ffl til next week, but after holding it...the stainless ck grip feels amazing.

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.fb501beb959f716d636e661657f3ad25.JPG

IMG_0272.thumb.JPG.35079dc82e3fe029d445ab8be5d14385.JPG

Like everyone else is saying, a 2011 in 9mm is probably better suited to 3-gun, Steel Challenge, or even IDPA.  That’s kind of why I got into one.  But every now and then I’ll shoot Limited-minor at a local USPSA match for S&G’s.  Did so last weekend and was pretty competitive probably bc that match had a bunch of hoser stages and steel where the diff between major and minor was less pronounced and I could run the gun pretty aggressively.  

The light recoil makes it such a fun gun to shoot.  

I picked up a bushing barrel 9mm 2011 as a kind of do it all kind of thing. I have used it for 3 gun and steel challenge. I have plans to use it for IDPA. USPSA maybe for fun, since I do have a 40 Ltd gun. Also just a fun gun. Shooting it feels like cheating compared to major PF guns.

Thank you for the replies, everyone! They're sincerely appreciated.

I'm in an odd spot as I have a pair of 1911's already, one in 9mm and one with a full rail in .45. This lets me run IDPA ESP, USPSA Single Stack Minor, and USPSA Limited 10. I haven't shot Steel Challenge yet but I imagine the 9mm would hold its own there. I'm not currently 3-gunning and don't anticipate starting any time soon.

It sounds like I'm better off with a major gun since USPSA is my primary focus. I've done the "Minor, but with really good hits" thing for a stretch, but I score better with the major gun since I'm not *that* much slower. And mine doesn't even have the goofy go-fast stuff like a *thumb rest [generic]* or a milled slide...