Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Gen 5 chamber surprise

wingwlkr

I shot my Glock 19 Gen 5 for the first time today. 

No issues with factory ammo, but the handholds I’ve been using in my Gen 4’s wouldn’t pass the plunk test.

The handholds are X-Treme 135gr HP’s, .356’dia, OAL 1.135”, using 3.7gr of VihtaVuori 320. I don’t remember the speed, but PF is about 132-135 through my G34.

To pass the plunk test I had to reduce OAL to 1.095”. Next I’ll have to determine if there is room below the bullet for the powder. At best it’ll be pretty tight in there. Am I getting into dangerous territory?

Should I change bullets? If so I’d like to stick with X-Treme plated. Any thoughts?

My last question is, will such a short OAL effect accuracy when shot through my Gen 4 Glock’s?

I just thought of another last question. Are there any questions I’m missing, because I don’t know what I don’t know.

I like my Gen5 G19, but have found the same thing.  I ordered some of the MPR's from RMR to simulate defense ammo for my wife and I in practice, and it turned out that they would not plunk past 1.040 in it, so I never bothered.  As for your questions...

At 1.095, you should not be in any dangerous territory based on OAL alone, BUT, you need to drop your charge and ladder back up to the PF you want to be safe.

I can't answer if you *should* change bullets...what you have might work perfectly.  I'd do the above, and if you cannot make that bullet work, switch to something with a more conical profile.

OAL can affect accuracy to SOME degree, but it's probably one of the smallest factors coming into play at pistol distances.  In my 2011, I can get great accuracy by loading up to 1.18/1.2, but another one of my super accurate loads in it has an OAL of 1.165.  With my 9's, I usually choose an OAL that plunks in every 9mm in the house and run with it.

4 hours ago, Rolex said:

SO-at that factory 9 oal is 1.150 ish--- and they worked- could be bullet profile!

Not could be, always is.

Loading short shouldn't be feared. Also, the only time I worry about compressing a load is when it's so compressed that it doesn't allow me to seat the projectile to the desired length.

Edited by 4n2t0

If you drop the OAL down 30,000ths + you will see a rise in pressure. Whether or not the gun explodes has yet to be determined. YOU should rework up the load. It's cheaper than an ER visit and a broken gun. Good luck!

Edited by Red Ryder

3 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Not could be, always is.

Loading short shouldn't be feared. Also, the only time I worry about compressing a load is when it's so compressed that it doesn't allow me to seat the projectile to the desired length.

That's dangerous advice. Reducing OAL does cause pressure to increase. This is not a proportional equation though. some times it's exponential. I've watched several guns blow up and it's heart breaking.

40 minutes ago, Red Ryder said:

That's dangerous advice. Reducing OAL does cause pressure to increase. This is not a proportional equation though. some times it's exponential. I've watched several guns blow up and it's heart breaking.

I don't believe you Chicken Little. Start at a minimum charge and work your way up. As long as you don't do stupid everything will be fine.

Even when you do stupid...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/05/battered-bullets-does-bullet-setback-matter/

Edited by 4n2t0

IMG_3076.JPG.5e8bc98981ca7a9918d9487c7b53611e.JPG

HP bullets often need to be loaded considerably shorter: the squarish profile means the shoulder of the bullet is effectively much further forward than a long, pointy bullet like the 124 on the left.

Switch to the extremely pointy 124gr Xtreme FMJ and I believe you’ll find you can load your ammo considerably longer. Just ditch the hollowpoints

I don't believe you Chicken Little. Start at a minimum charge and work your way up. As long as you don't do stupid everything will be fine.

Even when you do stupid...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/05/battered-bullets-does-bullet-setback-matter/

Interesting read. Might depend on the powder used. For example, IMR 7625 is a very forgiving powder. Titegroup is not at all forgiving of compressed loads. Food for thought.

4 minutes ago, Red Ryder said:

Interesting read. Might depend on the powder used. For example, IMR 7625 is a very forgiving powder. Titegroup is not at all forgiving of compressed loads. Food for thought.

Too bad they quit making 7625 two years ago.  i really liked it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Good info.

I've been reloading about 18 months and have only developed loads for 147 RN's and 135 HP's, so I'm far from an expert at this stuff. However I do know to start low and work my way up.

When I developed the 135 HP load, a OAL 1.105" didn't seem to be as accurate as 1.135". That's why I'd like to stay with a longer OAL. The shorter OAL might not make a difference in the Gen 5 with its "Match" barrel,, but I still have 4 Gen 4's to shoot, so I'm trying to find a happy medium.

Rather than shorten the 135 HP all the way to 1.095", I'm going to try the 147 RN. If that still doesn't suit me, I'll take your suggestion and try some 124 RN's.

20 hours ago, Red Ryder said:

Titegroup is not at all forgiving of compressed loads.

I am trying to imagine how I could get a compressed load with TG. Working up a load, the gun would blow long before i ever got a compressed load.

Today I tried the plunk test using a friend's X-Treme 147 RN's, OAL 1.147". They went right in my G-19.5, then slipped right out. Good to know that will work for me. 

Even though I load my X-Treme 135 HP's to 1.135", to me, they just "look" too long (attached photo). To fit, I'd have to shorten by 0.040". Your thoughts?

I called Berry's today asking what bullet profile might work in my Gen 5. Jason wasn't familiar with with the Gen 5, but told me many of their sponsored  competition shooters run their 124 HBFP and HBRN. I don't know if that was for USPSA or IDPA. Most IDPA guys around here tend to run 147 RN because they say it gives them less felt recoil. If that is the case I wonder why the sponsored shooters run those 124's?

Attachment-1.jpg

Edited by wingwlkr

43 minutes ago, The2aguy said:

I’m getting the impression the short OAL is only with lead/coated Bullets

Anyone having to load short with FMJ/plated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The projectile's profile is what matters. Regardless, load them short(er) and live life happy.

Edited by 4n2t0

14 hours ago, wingwlkr said:

Most IDPA guys around here tend to run 147 RN because they say it gives them less felt recoil. If that is the case I wonder why the sponsored shooters run those 124's?

Because good IDPA guys still aren’t very good shooters. There’s not that much difference betweem 124s and 147s, and a lot of guys figure out that the like the quicker slide cycling of the 124. 

(For perspective, I have three “____ State Championship 1st Place SSP Master” plaques on my wall... after which I found myself at the bottom of B-class when I switched to USPSA.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I use Jimmy Mitchell - Mitchell Custom Guns - in Breckenridge, Texas myself.  Since I don't know where you live it makes it a little difficult to suggest someone who may be close to you.

I'd suggest loading a dummy round - no primer, no powder - at the length you want and the bullet you plan to use and ship it along with the barrel to whomever you end up going with.

Do a search for "barrel throating" on this site and also Google and you should come up with a variety of options.

For anyone looking

Xtreme 124RN will pass a plunk test in the gen 5 @ 1.135

Possibly longer but I haven’t tested, those are my batch from the last run before I bought the G5

A thread with Bullet profile and plunk OAL may be helpful here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk