Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not enough N320??

So went to the range loaded up N320 4.0gr with 124FMJ.

Would not lock back the bolt. 

Used factory 115gr8 WWB and Select and AAA. 

All three locked back the bolt on last round fired.

New Sig MPX 16" carbine Gen2 and mags.

Anyone have a load with N320 and 124s?

Hello: How many rounds through your MPX? What mag setup are you using? 4.0 grains of N320 should get you there since that should be around 140PF unless you got a real slow batch. Make sure the bolt is well oiled as well. My 16" Gen 2 can run120-123PF loads with a stock barrel and gas port but it also has over 2000 rounds through it. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

NEW today. Stock 30 round mag.

Shot about 150 sounds of reloads.

But when I shot factory the bolt locked back no issues.

So I felt that the gas was not enough to make the bolt retract all the way to the rear.

I'm like Aircooled, on this one. Give it some time. Springs are a bit stiff right now. The bolt needs to seat into it's ways in the upper. And I don't think the lock-back feature is always 100%, anyway.

I've been using N320 lately at 3.6 grains under a 124 grain RN, and my QC 10 locks back every time, so patience my friend.

Edited by MikieM

Hello: Take it apart and oil the bolt assemble and the recoil spring shafts. Shoot it some more. It will take about 500-1000 rounds before it is broken it. Factory loads will be in the 145-155PF range typically with fast powders. Give it some time and enjoy your MPX. Thanks, Eric

I'm liking 4.3 gr n320 with a precision delta 124gr jhp at about 1.125 oal. My stock bbl has about 8k rounds. The MPX needs gas. The new mags will have sharp lips also, they tend to drag and dig into the case side as it slides forward until the get a little wear in. Lube that sucker up too. And make sure you correctly orient the dots on the bcg and cam pin on re assembly  or you will have firing pin problems.

10 hours ago, TISCHLJ said:

I'm liking 4.3 gr n320 with a precision delta 124gr jhp at about 1.125 oal. My stock bbl has about 8k rounds. The MPX needs gas. The new mags will have sharp lips also, they tend to drag and dig into the case side as it slides forward until the get a little wear in. Lube that sucker up too. And make sure you correctly orient the dots on the bcg and cam pin on re assembly  or you will have firing pin problems.

I am going to load 4.3 today. With the same PD 124 JHP at the same length as that's what my oal is set at.

Cleaned it. Oiled it. Dots are set correctly.

I'll put another couple hundred through it.

When the rain slows down??

Edited by Rolex
SP
5 minutes ago, Rolex said:

REASON<  because I was shooting 3.5gr instead of the 4.0 gr N320-  my bad :blink:

Hello: I knew something was up. After your MPX breaks in you will be able to shoot lower power factor loads. Tite Group is a little dirty but it is easy to clean the residue off. N320 is nice but not twice as nice as Tite Group :lol: You may want to try WST as well. Thanks, Eric

I love N320, especially in my 929.  I can shoot a Steel Challenge Match without ever having to brush out the cylinder it's so clean.  The barrel looks like new after a thousand rounds with coated bullets and N320.

It costs a little more but I like it best.

2 hours ago, L9X25 said:

I tried Tite Group and the gun was very dirty, I tried WSF and the gun was very dirty but felt softer/better.  As soon as I am done with my WSF I think I will give N320 a try.

Don't let these guys kid you. N320 is as good as it gets. It meters perfectly, shoots as clean as anything out there, and is accurate.

Gun powder is the least expensive part of our shooting experience, per round. Use N320 and you won't go back to any of the others.

I know I won't. 

I have burned over 100lbs of VV powders (mostly N105 & N110) and know that they are the best.  They are not the easiest to find, definitely not the cheapest, but they are very very good.  Considering that we only burn about 4grs per shot, like Eric says, it is not that big of a deal.  In my open pistol, where I burn almost 16grs per shot, I still use VV powder exclusively. 

26 minutes ago, KalashniKEV said:

LOL... I definitely thought this thread was going to be about competing in PCC with a Norinco 320 Uzi.

I haven't been this disappointed in a while...

A Norinco 320? Isn't that an electric shaver?

If you've been a good boy you may get one for Christmas. ;)

Edited by MikieM

I'm running 4.1 grains of 320 behind an Xtreme 115 grain hp, in my MPX.

3.6 grains of 320 behind PD 115 jhp in my TNW, that has a full, 16" bbl(If I remember correctly, the actual barrel on my MPX is like 14")

I run Titegroup in my .40s.

N350, or Autocomp in open guns.