Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest PCC Builds

I think I need to check the accuracy of my scale, I can see where I could trim 3/4 lb off my (6.5 lb) rifle, but that would still leave close to 6lbs, and it would require

that I go with the 5: ULW barrel and minimalist stock.  Some are getting close to 5 lbs with a full length steel barrel? 

Not sure how I could drop another 3/4 pound after that. 

Edited by L9X25
57 minutes ago, Ck867 said:

Is the MFT Minimalist stock the lightest option? Is it adjustable or fixed?

Hello: I think it is the lightest adjustable carbine stock at an actual 5.9ozs. You can also reduce weight by using a stripped type upper receiver and a pencil barrel. My barrel only weights 19 ozs without the comp. I could flute it to make it lighter but it is already light enough for me. Thanks, Eric

5 hours ago, L9X25 said:

I think I need to check the accuracy of my scale, I can see where I could trim 3/4 lb off my (6.5 lb) rifle, but that would still leave close to 6lbs, and it would require

that I go with the 5: ULW barrel and minimalist stock.  Some are getting close to 5 lbs with a full length steel barrel? 

Not sure how I could drop another 3/4 pound after that. 

Yes. I've been wondering how a couple of these guys have gotten under 6 lbs. with a 16 inch barrel and comp, myself.

Edited by MikieM
52 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: My scale is from a lab so it maybe more accurate? :D Thanks, Eric

Eric, I'm going to need your address so I can send you my guns to get accurate weights.  Do you need them disassembled first, or will you do that? :D

I use one of those kitchen type scales that measure food amounts.  Pretty accurate for what I need.  To get a little more accuracy, I measure in grams and convert.  But who knows what the absolute weights really are on these types of scales. :P

Anyone know the weight on a standard buffer tube?  Also, is there a reason nobody has honeycomb’d a tube? 

Also,  if I had a 3D printer I’d make a stock like the lead star shown above. Any 3D printer guys willing to give this a try?

I currently have the minimalist stock and it’s ok, but has too much unecesssry stuff on it and the L is too long for my liking. I’ve thought about taking a hacksaw and a dremel to it and removing all the extra material but it would render it to ugly for usage ? 

Hello: The Strike Industries have a similar stock to the MFT but I don't know the weight of it. I like having the stock adjustable since sometimes I just need to move it all the way in. There is another end plate stock that is non adjustable and lighter than the MFT but I can't remember the name of it. I don't mind a little more weight on the stock end. I may even try a shotgun mercury weight in the stock on a Vltor I have. It could work on a Sig MPX buffer tube also. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, nickbfishn said:

Anyone know the weight on a standard buffer tube?  Also, is there a reason nobody has honeycomb’d a tube?...

My BCM milspec buffer tube weighed 3.77 oz.

As some people can't stand the "sprong" sound of the spring, I can only imagine what the sound would be with a honeycomb'd buffer tube.  :P

But this begets the question if lighter is always better for our game or is it a preference??

I think the importance of weight sits on a sliding scale. The farther forward the weight is from your pistol grip, the more important it becomes since it affects your swing. Weight in the stock area doesn’t matter as much since your shoulder bears much of it. However, adding a pound a few inches in front of the barrel but will greatly influence your target transition speed, which is important for games like Steel Challenge. I think it less of a factor in USPSA where double tap speed/accuracy is important, and time can be made up with smart movement, smart reloads and smarter breakdown shooting the stage.

Hello: The weight in the correct place does help. I am putting a Sig MPX Carbine on a diet right now and will be testing it soon. On the AR9, I have found what works best for me. Too light is not good for USPSA matches. For steel challenge light is best for fast transitions. I would rather spend $200 on more ammo and get in better shape so I can run faster. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

Is 1.5oz even worth that kind of money? I’d spend $200 to lose a pound, but for that amount I can just take off my watch and save 1.5oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it's not worth it.   I just thought it was crazy how much you can spend to save very little weight.